Tacho Mistake - what should i do?

Hey everyone, 1stly can i say yes i know i’m a muppet - BUT - whats the best thing to do in this situation.

Basically i put the tacho in driver 2 position yesterday and it hasn’t recorded anything at all obviously. Should i just write on the back of it explaining. Our Tachos are sent off for independent analysis too.

To explain partly what happened i have been in this job 4 weeks and its shared driving normally, i have been with same guy all the time and he drives 1st so has been putting tachos in & swapping over on break etc, yesterday i was with an agency porter and had to drive allday so i guess i was just not concentrating yesterday when i put tacho in.

tobytyke:
Hey everyone, 1stly can i say yes i know i’m a muppet - BUT - whats the best thing to do in this situation.

Basically i put the tacho in driver 2 position yesterday and it hasn’t recorded anything at all obviously. Should i just write on the back of it explaining. Our Tachos are sent off for independent analysis too.

To explain partly what happened i have been in this job 4 weeks and its shared driving normally, i have been with same guy all the time and he drives 1st so has been putting tachos in & swapping over on break etc, yesterday i was with an agency porter and had to drive allday so i guess i was just not concentrating yesterday when i put tacho in.

You will need to make manual entries on a chart to show the activities and corresponding times, if you don’t know the precise times I guess you should just try to remember the best you can and hope for the best, you will also need to write on the back of the chart the reason for the manual entries.

HTH.

Should i use the tacho i filled in on Saturday as it has recorded “other work” for the full day. I know the rough times yes that i drove and had break, shall i just mark in a straight line on the tacho ?

I would use the same chart even though it’s recorded other work for the day, it sort of supports the fact that you used a chart, even if it was in the wrong place.
You can use the front or back of the chart in the UK for manual entry’s as long as you don’t draw over the graph (not much chance in this case :wink:), but I believe there could be a problem with using the front for manual entry’s if you drive in Europe.
See tachograph rules pages 31 to 33 for more details of manual entry’s on charts.

Just to add to Tachographs advice if you haven’t already done so make sure you complete the centre field of that chart as per normal, name, dates, start and finish location, start and finish kilometres. I guess you already have but I mention it in case you haven’t, thinking the chart was no use.

Thanks guys for the info - cant believe i did it as everything else went swimmingley on my 1st day kinda going it alone as such.

tobytyke:
Thanks guys for the info - cant believe i did it as everything else went swimmingley on my 1st day kinda going it alone as such.

You aren’t the first and you won’t be the last. Live and learn. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

It happens so don’t beat yourself up over it m8, Just learn from it and move on.

Maybe an idea to check the warning light is working though :wink:

tachograph:
It happens so don’t beat yourself up over it m8, Just learn from it and move on.

Eh ? What warning light ? No one ever mentioned that…mmmm!!!

tobytyke:

tachograph:

Eh ? What warning light ? No one ever mentioned that…mmmm!!!

Depends on the type/style of tacho head and/or the make of vehicle but there should be some kind of light or symbol that flashes when you haven’t got a chart in position 1.

If it’s the draw type tacho then most likely there will be a red or amber light on the dash, tends to look like an ignition light in most of the vehicles I’ve driven, but as Coffeeholic said the light can vary a bit from vehicle to vehicle, but unless it’s an extremely old vehicle there should be a light of some description that will warn you if there’s a fault with the tacho such as not having a chart inserted, the same light will generally come on when the vehicle reaches a certain speed, usually 55 to 60 mph.

Yeah i seen that amber light on but thought that was just an overspeed warning too - u learn summatt everyday - i rang the office today and told them they said its ok but to write on the back that i’d informed them & to write my driving time & break on the back too, cheers for the advice :slight_smile:

Heres a couple of the fleet.

I’m pleased it’s worked out OK for you m8 :smiley:

Cheers no harm done it seems :slight_smile: