Tacho message: driving without card

mrginge:
I reckon the OP just keeps putting their card in slot 2 :laughing:

Is slipping it into slot two grounds for divorce?

Franglais:
Get into cab and turn on ignition before putting in your card. If vehicle has been shunted without card itll display Driving Without Card. Press OK` to clear it then insert your card. Manual entry etc as you wish.

After you’ve done your manual entry it’ll still flash up ‘driving without card’. You’ll have to press OK again before driving away, while ‘driving without card’ is flashing. If you forget, it’ll continually flash up driving without card every few minutes until you do press OK. That’s what happens with our Mercs anyway. We’ve got a range of ages of Actroses, from 6 yrs old to new. They’ve therefore got a range of tachos in them. They all do the same.
Our units are shunted around the yard, frequently by the boss, loads being transshipped, dropping and hooking up to different trailers, washing point, ad-blu fill-up etc.
Almost every time I jump into a unit, the tacho is flashing 'driving without card. It needs to be cleared after your card goes in.

If you clear it after your card goes in, then it starts doing it again while you’re working, you’ve got a card problem.

Simon:
Almost every time I jump into a unit, the tacho is flashing 'driving without card. It needs to be cleared after your card goes in.

Disagree - you can clear the warning (just press OK on the tacho) before or after you insert your card. Makes no difference. Of course, if you don’t clear it at all then it will keep flashing up again and again through the day.

If you clear it after your card goes in, then it starts doing it again while you’re working, you’ve got a card problem.

Agreed.

Well as far as I remember, you have to clear it after your card goes in mate.
I used to clear it before putting my card in, but it just flashed up again after I’d been doing my manual entry. So I stopped hitting OK before putting my card in as it appeared to be a waste of time. A moment I know, but repeatedly doing something that appears pointless… Now I put my card in, do my manual entry, wait for it to flash up (only a moment again), press OK. Bobs your uncle.

I’ll try again in the morning. My unit has been moved since I parked it on Wed’ evening (I’ve been using other units on local work Thurs’ and Fri’), so it’ll definitely flash up ‘driving without card’ when I switch the ignition on.

Our yard is only a hundred metres long, enough room to park 7 trailers with plenty of maneouvering space between them, and that’s it. So shunting trailers around doesn’t clock up very much distance at all. Mind you, you don’t even need a full wheel revolution for it to start flashing ‘drivers card missing’ at you (or whatever the phrase is). And that’s enough for it to be flashing ‘driving without card’ next time the ignition is switched on.

I’m just going on my own experience. Our lorries are always moved by the shunter during the night. Some drivers insist on clearing the “driving without card” warning before they insert their cards, in the mistaken belief that the “driving without card” infringement will show on their cards if they leave it. Sometimes I do it before my card goes in, sometimes after. The warning doesn’t flash up again regardless.

Had it on 2 trucks so far tonight.
Pressed ok before putting card in. It cleared both times and did not come back on.
Job done thank you

as said…u just need to press ok when the message is flashing. no good if you press OK 3 secs after it stops flashing…card in or out

All I can say us i hope alien lifeforms aren’t reading this forum as they’ve figured HGV drivers are the superior species to make first contact with.

They may change their minds if they see a “heated debate” about the effects of pressing a button. :smiley:

Where’s Harry Hill when you need him…! :wink: