Tacho manual entry question

Ok guys, first thing, I hope I’m posting in the correct section. :smiley:

My question is with regard to making a manual entry to record rest from when I last withdrew my card to the start of my next shift.

The fleet where I have been working as an agency driver for some time now are all 62 plates and as such have the newest VDO tacho heads fitted, I find the process for recording any activity between the period the digi card was last ejected and the time it is re-inserted is very simple and straighforward.

My question relates to the tacho head units that initially display “End of shift” when OK is selected when asked if a manual entry is required.

I was recently using a slightly older DAF that had been hired in and that had one of the less recent tacho head units fitted.
I went through the process (Or thought I had) of recording the period between last ejecting to re-inserting my card as rest, however when I downloaded the data onto my digi tacho software (Globofleet) the period was displayed as “Unknown”

I had evidently made some cockup somewhere along the line and would appreciate if one of you kind gents (Or ladies) could give me a step by step / idiots guide to completing this process successfully.

Thank you and regards in advance, The Soulman.

The old tacho would record your period of rest as ■■ With the duration next to it. this is done automatically for the hours from when you took your card out (or manual entry) until the time you insert your card (or the time of your manual entry). The new 1.4 needs you to put this information in manually. We have been told at work to input out daily rest using the ? Icon and not the bed icon.

depenf from model Stone… or VDO OR SIEMENS. when you put card inside ,tacho show you finish time and ask -end of shift ,you change to no and enter full finish time and change to hammer.just after select shift end and press for rest and after selekt you shift start time.but don t worry about this "unknown"its normaly.

Thank you for the replies so far. :smiley:

The issue is more that the Globofleet software that I use needs to have this period recorded as rest and not as unknown to enable it to keep an accurate record of my weekly hours worked, weekly rest times, shortened rest periods etc, etc.

Regards, The Soulman.

m1cks:
The old tacho would record your period of rest as ■■ With the duration next to it. this is done automatically for the hours from when you took your card out (or manual entry) until the time you insert your card (or the time of your manual entry). The new 1.4 needs you to put this information in manually. We have been told at work to input out daily rest using the ? Icon and not the bed icon.

I was under the impression that the period in question was shown as “Unknown” / ■■ was because there had be no record of that period.
(You state that the old tacho “Records” this as “Unknown” / ■■) :confused:

Also, on the latest VDO tacho head units, if you don’t do a manual entry the period is shown as "Unknow / ■■ (The same as older head units)

Regards, The Soulman.

The Soulman:

m1cks:

I was under the impression that the period in question was shown as “Unknown” / ■■ was because there had be no record of that period.
(You state that the old tacho “Records” this as “Unknown” / ■■) :confused:

Also, on the latest VDO tacho head units, if you don’t do a manual entry the period is shown as "Unknow / ■■ (The same as older head units)

Regards, The Soulman.

We have to do manual entries so I’ve not used one without. We have to put 15 mins on the end of our shift to account for returning the keys and debrief. We also have to do a manual entry so our duty start time matches our tacho entry times.
I think the ? Is because daily rest is different to break. Tachograph or Rog are the authority here and will no doubt be along shortly.

Leaving it as unkown will be taken by the UK authorities as REST

The Soulman:
Ok guys, first thing, I hope I’m posting in the correct section. :smiley:

My question is with regard to making a manual entry to record rest from when I last withdrew my card to the start of my next shift.

The fleet where I have been working as an agency driver for some time now are all 62 plates and as such have the newest VDO tacho heads fitted, I find the process for recording any activity between the period the digi card was last ejected and the time it is re-inserted is very simple and straighforward.

My question relates to the tacho head units that initially display “End of shift” when OK is selected when asked if a manual entry is required.

I was recently using a slightly older DAF that had been hired in and that had one of the less recent tacho head units fitted.
I went through the process (Or thought I had) of recording the period between last ejecting to re-inserting my card as rest, however when I downloaded the data onto my digi tacho software (Globofleet) the period was displayed as “Unknown”

I had evidently made some cockup somewhere along the line and would appreciate if one of you kind gents (Or ladies) could give me a step by step / idiots guide to completing this process successfully.

Thank you and regards in advance, The Soulman.

As you know on new type digital tachographs when you do a manual entry you input the times of all activities including the daily rest period since withdrawing the card on the previous shift.

However on the older type digital tachographs you do not need to input the daily rest period as a manual entry.

Lets say you withdraw the card at 17:00 and finish work at 17:30 with the time from 17:00 to 17:30 being other work.

On the old type digital tachographs when you press “yes” to do a manual entry the tachograph display will show the time the card was withdrawn in our case 17:00, you then change the time to 17:30 and the activity to other work and press “OK”.
The display will then say “End of shift” (or something like that) and you press “OK” to end that previous shift, select the country the shift ended in and press “OK” again.

The display will now show the time you inserted the card and ask “begin” and you use the arrow keys to change the time to the time your shift started, then change the activity to suit.

On the old type digital tachographs the time between shifts is assumed to be a rest period, you don’t need to put the daily rest period in.

You can try it for yourself on the tachograph simulator here

By the way, I’m not familiar with Globofleet but you shouldn’t need an accurate record of your daily rest periods in order to have an accurate record of your working hours, if you’ve recorded the working hours that should be all you need :wink:

m1cks:
We have been told at work to input out daily rest using the ? Icon and not the bed icon.

I think a lot of people are doing that and to be fair I doubt it will make any difference, but the correct procedure is to use the bed symbol for daily/weekly rest.

The ? is for when an activity cannot be shown, such as when you was using an analogue tachograph in the previous shift or maybe working but not using a tachograph in the previous shift.

ROG:
Leaving it as unkown will be taken by the UK authorities as REST

Yep. I read recently on an official government website (can’t remember which) that there is no requirement in the UK to account for time spent when not at work so the ? symbol is acceptable and the digi read out will read exactly like it did pre 1.4. If you use bed it will add daily rest onto your driving breaks for the day which is a minor irritation when you have to write your total breaks down at the end of a shift like I do.

When I first started and I got a night out, I put mine on bed for the night and got an infringement for insufficient daily rest, (0 hours). Since then I have always ejected the card on a night out to be safe and then either:

Put card in, tacho flashs 19:00 21/08/2013 END OF SHIFT? and I click yes, (if I am on a night out I eject after paperwork). #

Or

? 21/08/2013 19:00
x 22/08/2013 06:00

I will never use the bed symbol to denote daily rest, just in case.

Besides, daily rest is my time, what the ■■■■ business is it of VOSA what I am doing? :wink:

nsmith1180:
When I first started and I got a night out, I put mine on bed for the night and got an infringement for insufficient daily rest, (0 hours). Since then I have always ejected the card on a night out to be safe and then either:

Putting it on bed in that circumstance is not enough. A manual entry for “finish country” needs to be done.

the maoster:
A manual entry for “finish country” needs to be done.

That’ll be Finland, won’t it?