Tacho holding time

Just when i’m getting my head round some more of the tacho rules, another spanner has been thrown in the works!!

I remember reading in another thread, sorry can’t remember which one, that you need to carry the last disk from the previous week worked, so long as it was WITHIN the 21 days limit. That seemed perfectly clear.

However, whilst at the training school today, (class 1) I was told that it was only the previous calender weeks disk you need.

I’m now off the tacho for the next two weeks, one week no driving at all, and have kept last fridays disk, knowing full well it has to be in by the end of my first week back to get the 21 days safely sorted.

The only thing is, am I holding it for no reason??

How would I stand with the ministry if I can’t produce a disk over 21 days?, I know I would be off the road if it was under the 21 days!

Any help greatfully recieved, as I seem to be getting blonder by the day.

Article 15. E.C. 3821/85.
Whenever requested by an autherised inspecting officer to do so the driver must be able to produce record sheets for the current week & in any case for the last day of the previus week on which he drove.
Article 14 E.C, 3821/85.
The Undertaking shall keep the records sheets in good order for at least a year after their use & shall give copies to the drivers concerned that request them.
The undertaking is the operator of the vehicle, which could be differnt from the employer.
So yes you should keep the last sheet from the last week you drove & it is possible to aquire any sheet from the past year, all you have to do is ask.

Just one point worth making, your instructor can aquire a very useful basic guide to tacho’s & driving law from any ministry test centre or on line for down loading.
& I hope he does not do tacho training with such a limited knowledge of the subject.
Good luck withn the test.

All you need to carry is the current weeks cards and the last one of you previous weeks driving, that is the one where you started your weekly rest period. If this was over 3 weeks (21days) then you can’t carry it as it should be in the hands of the company who vehicle you were driving.
This is what Alan wrote so its to of us against you tacho trainer, who seems to need a course himself. It’s no wonder there are so many myth over tacho regs.
P.S. you will find that many coppers don’t really understand the regs so if you are sure stick to your guns. Being polite does help.
Phrases such as "Yes officer I hear what you are saying but you are talking out of your *** ", might not help. As does the other classic “*** off and get back in your pram”.

muckles:
Phrases such as "Yes officer I hear what you are saying but you are talking out of your *** ", might not help. As does the other classic “*** off and get back in your pram”.

Hahahahaha!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: FANTASTIC!! Couldn’t have put it better me’sen!

Unless the rules have changed it used to be the previous 5 days charts.

Pat Hasler:

Then the rules have changed.

Driving Goods Vehicles - the official DSA syllabus:
You must carry your completed charts for the current week and the last day of the previous week on which you drove.

Personally, I think that “the last day of the previous week on which you drove” is a bit ambiguous; in the case where you didn’t drive on the previous week, do you have to carry a chart for the last day of the week before that? What if you didn’t drive that week either?

MrFlibble:

Pat Hasler:

Then the rules have changed.

Driving Goods Vehicles - the official DSA syllabus:
You must carry your completed charts for the current week and the last day of the previous week on which you drove.

Personally, I think that “the last day of the previous week on which you drove” is a bit ambiguous; in the case where you didn’t drive on the previous week, do you have to carry a chart for the last day of the week before that? What if you didn’t drive that week either?

but then dont it have to be in within 21 days so what happens if the last time you drove was over 21 days ago ■■?

As you must hand your charts in within 21 days & you must carry the last chart for the last week that you drove & its only to be carried for 21 days.
if the company you work for has a policy which makes 21 days impossible, or you wish to carry a chart beyond that 21 days then ask for a copy.

ta alan :wink: heheheh amazing what happens when you ask lol

If you can’t produce a chart for the previous week it is always a good idea to get a letter from your employer saying why. ie been away on holiday or off sick etc. I have preprinted letters with spaces to fill in in all European languages for this purpose, and I have never had any problem in any country

Jimti. The holder of the O Licence has a legal duty to provide you with a copy of your charts UPON REQUEST, if thay won’t don’t bother with letters just inform the authorised officer when you are stopped, or ask if you need to make your second request via the local TC.
The rquest for tachos of specific dates spread across the past year is a good reminder to TM’s who get problematic with time or speed that we know the law & that we too can get problamatic, you can tie staff up for hours as they not only have to find these specific charts but copy them & then return them to thier correct place.

Article 15. E.C. 3821/85.
Whenever requested by an autherised inspecting officer to do so the driver must be able to produce record sheets for the current week & in any case for the last day of the previus week on which he drove.

But what happens when someone spends part of the week/21 days driving under EC Regs, and part exempt under UK Domestic Rules. I know that if driving abroad under EC Regs, a letter would be required explaining the days worked under UK Domestic Rules.

However, assuming remaining in the UK, would the periods between driving under EC Regs require the carrying of the tacho (record sheet) for the last day on the previous week on which he drove (under EC Regs), providing it was less than 21 days, or would time sheets/work orders, completed whilst driving under UK Domestic Rules serve as record sheets under EC Regs.

I really don’t know the answer. :confused:

Just to be on the safe side I would keep the previous weeks :slight_smile:

Having been pulled for a check whilst driving a bus, as pat says keep your sheets & don’t forget just because you are driving this week under UK regs it does not exempt you your obligation, if caught, from the two week driving limit.