Tacho help please

I am taking my C test next week and today I have signed on at an agency so they can get to know me.

Although I have no tacho experience they have asked me to work tomorrow for TNT multi-dropping in Norfolk in a 7.5 tonner.

The work is no problem because I did it for Amtrak for 10 years but I dont even know how to put the chart in!

What happens when you stop for a drop? Do you record it as other work? I can see it taking ages to fiddle around with the tacho settings.

Any advice please?

If you are doing mult-drops just leave it in the work mode, remember to take your breaks… :wink:

At the beginning of the shift put the tacho on other work (cross hammers) and when you start driving it will automatically record in driving mode, when you stop to make a delivery it will revert to other work, remember to change the tacho to rest (bed shape) when you have your break, remember that after 4.5 hours driving you must have a 45 minute break, alternatively the break can be split, if you split the break into two shorter breaks the first must be at least 15 minutes and the second must be at least 30 minutes.

There are different types of tacho so it’s difficult to too presice about putting the chart in, if it’s the drawer type put the chart in facing up ( graph side up), if it’s the type that opens out then look inside for the needles and put the card in with the graph side facing the needles.

I suggest you do a search of this forum for more info on tacho use, it’s been covered quite a lot.

Also after 6 hours shift time (even if you are not at 4.5 hours driving) you need at least a 30 mins break (better to have 45 so it also resets the driving time).

Generally with tachos put the chart with the writing face (i.e. where you put your name etc) so that you can see it when it is in the tacho machine before you close it. Also dont put it under any plastic strips as these are for a second driver.

If in doubt ask someone. There will be someone there that will show you. Better to ask than get it wrong.

Sockpuppet:
Also after 6 hours shift time (even if you are not at 4.5 hours driving) you need at least a 30 mins break

Are you SURE of that ? :wink:

Generally with tachos put the chart with the writing face (i.e. where you put your name etc) so that you can see it when it is in the tacho machine before you close it. Also dont put it under any plastic strips as these are for a second driver.

Except of course for the little on it should go under on some :wink:

If in doubt ask someone. There will be someone there that will show you. Better to ask than get it wrong.

Assuming that person is CORRECT of couse :unamused: :unamused: [/b]

what if it has a digital tacho :question:

then again, do new 7.5 tonners need them :question:

i dont know, thats why i asked :wink:

montana man:

Sockpuppet:
Also after 6 hours shift time (even if you are not at 4.5 hours driving) you need at least a 30 mins break

Yes.

Sockpuppet:

montana man:

Sockpuppet:

Yes.

im sure aswell :wink:

dave:

Sockpuppet:

montana man:

Sockpuppet:

Yes.

im sure aswell :wink:

Coffeeholic:
You need breaks totalling 30 minutes under the WTD if your shift is between 6 and 9 hours. Nowhere in the WTD regulations does it say those 30 minutes have to be taken during or immediately after 6 hours of work. Under the WTD you cannot exceed 6 hours work without taking a break, the minimum period that counts as a break is 15 minutes so don’t exceed 6 hours work without a 15 minute break, assuming you haven’t reached 4.5 hours driving during the 6 hour period.

This has already been “done to death:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
and I am with Neil on this one
:wink:

Sockpuppet:

montana man:

Sockpuppet:

Yes.

Totally wrong. I can’t be arsed going into explanations, it’s easier just to bang my head against the wall, but it has been covered before on here so a search should find it.

What Coffee quotes is correct.

When the WTD first came in, i too thought it was 30 mins after 6 hours, but if you read the rulings carefully, its 30 mins within 9 hours, 15 within or immediately after 6 hours.

It can often, though not always, be fitted in nicely with a split driving break of 15 & 30 mins.

The official regulations can be found HERE. Section 7 deals with breaks and section 7.4 is the key.

HERE you can find examples of breaks and the example for Mobile Worker B shows that just 15 minutes during or at six hours is legal.

Now I know someone is going to look at the other examples and latch onto where it talks of 6 hours work “triggers a break requirement under the Regulations (30 minutes in this case)” The “(30 minutes in this case)” means they are taking 30 minutes in this example, that’s all. The fact is we are mobile workers and the example for mobile worker B applies to us. It doesn’t matter they only use “Other Work” in that example, as far as the WTD goes “Driving” and “Other Work” are the same thing - Work.

They could have used better examples but the fact they didn’t doesn’t alter the rules.

Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately the job has been cancelled but it is all useful information anyway. Next time I am available for work will be next Friday when I will (hopefully!) have my “C” licence and I will have some experience of tacho’s.

roadrebel:
I can see it taking ages to fiddle around with the tachosettings.

For future reference, the word in bold above is best avoided in discussions about the tacho and tacho regulations. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes, I can see that it was not the best word to use!

Thanks for your help.

Oh no not the dreaded wtd break discussion .
:cry:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tachograph:
At the beginning of the shift put the tacho on other work (cross hammers) and when you start driving it will automatically record in driving mode, when you stop to make a delivery it will revert to other work, remember to change the tacho to rest (bed shape) when you have your break, remember that after 4.5 hours driving you must have a 45 minute break, alternatively the break can be split, if you split the break into two shorter breaks the first must be at least 15 minutes and the second must be at least 30 minutes.

How do you know how many driving hours you have done if you keep stopping and starting? Do you need to add it all up or does the tacho warn you when you are getting near the limit?

Stopwatch,timer,hourguard,tachtrak,built in timer on the truck,mental adding up.

paul@midway:
Stopwatch,timer,hourguard,tachtrak,built in timer on the truck,mental adding up.

You forgot pencil and paper. :wink: :smiley:

roadrebel:
I am taking my C test next week and today I have signed on at an agency so they can get to know me.

Although I have no tacho experience they have asked me to work tomorrow for TNT multi-dropping in Norfolk in a 7.5 tonner.

The work is no problem because I did it for Amtrak for 10 years but I dont even know how to put the chart in!

What happens when you stop for a drop? Do you record it as other work? I can see it taking ages to fiddle around with the tacho settings.

Any advice please?

Does the Lorry have a Analog or Digital Tacho?
Which Kind of Tacho,and which Kind of Lorry?