Tacho help needed please!

Hi, passed my class 2 in October last year and may have a start next week (subject to passing a driving assesment) I’m still a little confused by the tacho rules. If i was driving for 2 hrs to my destination, then i put it on other work while i unload for 1 hr does this then mean i can only drive for another 1.5 hrs ?
If so would it not be better to drive for 2 hrs to my destination, then put it on break while i unload for an hour which would then give me 4.5 hrs driving again, although i have then had no break !!
Basically what i’m saying is does ‘other work’ count in your 4.5 hrs ■■ :confused: HEEELLLLLPPPP!!!

rusty919:
Hi, passed my class 2 in October last year and may have a start next week (subject to passing a driving assesment) I’m still a little confused by the tacho rules. If i was driving for 2 hrs to my destination, then i put it on other work while i unload for 1 hr does this then mean i can only drive for another 1.5 hrs ?
If so would it not be better to drive for 2 hrs to my destination, then put it on break while i unload for an hour which would then give me 4.5 hrs driving again, although i have then had no break !!
Basically what i’m saying is does ‘other work’ count in your 4.5 hrs ■■ :confused: HEEELLLLLPPPP!!!

Tacho breaks are for driving time only so ignore other work and POA for the calculation of those breaks

Recording break whilst doing other work is illegal

ahhh ok thanks, so if it takes me 2 hrs to get there, i then stick it on ‘other work’ for 1 hr to unload, i still have the 2.5 hrs driving time when i set off again :smiley:

rusty919:

No you would still have 2½ hours driving time left before needing the 45 minute driving break.

rusty919:

Putting the tachograph on break while you work is illegal and likely to get you a fine and a smacked wrist if you get caught by VOSA.

We wouldn’t want to do anything illegal would we :wink:

rusty919:

Other work does not count as driving time :wink:

Have a read of the Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs if you haven’t already :wink:

ok cheers lads, thats cleared that up for me. If someone was to put it on break whilst unloading how would vosa know you wasnt actually on break unless they caught you in the act ? Not that i’m gonna do it just interested in the ins & outs.

rusty919:
If someone was to put it on break whilst unloading how would vosa know you wasnt actually on break unless they caught you in the act ?

Realistically you are correct - they need to catch you or surmise from the records that you did not record the correct mode

6 deliveries in a day and only 3 other work records when the delivery sheets say that was 6 delivery points could be hard to explain !!

ok mate gotcha, unless you say you had a mate with you who unloaded while you were on break lol

rusty919:
ok cheers lads, thats cleared that up for me. If someone was to put it on break whilst unloading how would vosa know you wasnt actually on break unless they caught you in the act ? Not that i’m gonna do it just interested in the ins & outs.

Generally they won’t know unless they see you working, but if you got stopped and there were a few stops in the day and only driving and break you could have some questions to answer.

I imagine most of us have put the tachograph on break whilst working at some time, but it’s best not to make a habit of it :wink:

thanks mate, one last question, we can only work 9hrs a day or 10 on two days of the week, is that driving time ? or does it includes breaks and other work ?

rusty919:
thanks mate, one last question, we can only work 9hrs a day or 10 on two days of the week, is that driving time ? or does it includes breaks and other work ?

Assuming that you’re on EU regulations you can drive for 9 hours a shift and 10 hours twice a week.

So it’s 9/10 hours driving time which does not include other work or breaks.

excellent, thanks for clearing that up fella, wont have to look like an idiot and ask the new boss now ! :smiley:

Good luck with the job, I hope everything goes well for you :wink:

rusty919:

If you go to some of the sites like Aldi for example, they have a self tip policy and Vosa know it, so if they see a truck go in and then it comes out an hour later and they stop you and you had a 45 min break they know what you have done.

Remember you just paid a lot of money to get your licence, don’t loose it doing somat stupid to think your helpin a boss out who really don’t care, loose your licence and there will be ten others waiting for your job.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

tachograph:

rusty919:

Assuming that you’re on EU regulations you can drive for 9 hours a shift and 10 hours twice a week.

So it’s 9/10 hours driving time which does not include other work or breaks.

Maximum working time (including driving time, breaks and POA) is 13 hours, followed by 11 hours daily rest. Twice a week you can extend the working day to 15 hours, followed by a 9 hour daily rest.

charliebear:
Maximum DUTY/SHIFT time (including driving time, breaks and POA) is 13 hours, followed by 11 hours daily rest. Twice a week you can extend the working day to 15 hours, followed by a 9 hour daily rest.

Fixed that for you

Working time does not include breaks and POA

Sorry ROG. :frowning:

ROG:

charliebear:
Maximum DUTY/SHIFT time (including driving time, breaks and POA) is 13 hours, followed by 11 hours daily rest. Twice a week you can extend the working day to 15 hours, followed by a 9 hour daily rest.

Fixed that for you

ROG and charliebear,

Does anything else need fixing :question:

dieseldave:

ROG:

charliebear:

Fixed that for you

ROG and charliebear,

Don’t you just hate it when someone only does half the job, give them both a rollocking Dave :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

tachograph:

dieseldave:

ROG:

charliebear:

Fixed that for you

ROG and charliebear,

Don’t you just hate it when someone only does half the job, give them both a rollocking Dave :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: