Tacho & Head scratching

These are easy questions that I should know but I don’t.
I’m starting a new job that’s very different to my previous work. There will be a lorry in the yard that I’ll be driving, but at least to start with, I could be doing mostly other work.

Could someone be so kind as to tell me the best way to handle the tacho situation in this case:

I arrive at 9am. Put card in, do vehicle checks, do one delivery, back for 10am, the truck is then parked up and I spend all day on other work, I do a quick delivery at 4pm and then I go home.

Would I leave the card in on Other Work and keep walking back to it when I have a break to switch it to break? Or take it out at 10am and do manual entries on my return at 4pm (which I’ve never done before) - I thought you couldn’t record a break as a manual entry though, so won’t I get a black mark under working time if no break is recorded?

Sidenote: it’s unlikely another driver would be driving that truck except me so the card could stay in

SJB:
These are easy questions that I should know but I don’t.
I’m starting a new job that’s very different to my previous work. There will be a lorry in the yard that I’ll be driving, but at least to start with, I could be doing mostly other work.

Could someone be so kind as to tell me the best way to handle the tacho situation in this case:

I arrive at 9am. Put card in, do vehicle checks, do one delivery, back for 10am, the truck is then parked up and I spend all day on other work, I do a quick delivery at 4pm and then I go home.

Would I leave the card in on Other Work and keep walking back to it when I have a break to switch it to break? Or take it out at 10am and do manual entries on my return at 4pm (which I’ve never done before) - I thought you couldn’t record a break as a manual entry though, so won’t I get a black mark under working time if no break is recorded?

Sidenote: it’s unlikely another driver would be driving that truck except me so the card could stay in

You could do it either way (leave card in and return to truck to switch to break, or take card out and do manual entries when you return to the vehicle to drive it later).
There is no problem at all recording Break as a manual entry.
Assuming you keep hold of the vehicle keys, I’d suggest leaving the card in.
If you have to leave the keys in the office, I’d suggest you take your card out.

Either method has the potential for getting it wrong (e.g. forgetting to switch to Break at the appropriate point when away from the vehicle, or cocking up the manual entry (very unlikely once you’ve done a couple of shifts)).

Thanks. I think I’ll keep the card in for now and after a while I’ll start practising manual entries :slight_smile:

Personally I would take the card out. If you leave it in and something happens which means you can’t get back to the truck to put it on a break or eject, it will just stay on other work. You would also save the bother of having to visit the truck to change the mode too.