Tacho fraud

I know that it is 2016, but I have not seen this before. If it has been covered, then I will duck.
bbc.co.uk/programmes/p042vk4w

Typical BBC media frenzy killer juggernaut style reporting. This is all old hat, theres software available now that reprogrammes the tacho and its non detectable by any downloading equipment available to DVSA or any inspectorate body. Hardware hidden within the truck draws extra current, sofware flash mapping doesnt do that. Tacho can be made to record a max of 90kph while the limiter is set much higher…

Anyone ever noticed that VOSA all seem to look like pathetic weasels who were, rightly, bullied at school?

A.

Adonis.:
Anyone ever noticed that VOSA all seem to look like pathetic weasels who were, rightly, bullied at school?

A.

Not just any old weasel though A. A very special type of stand to attention, lick the boss’s boots clean jobsworth type of weasel…

AndrewG:

Adonis.:

A.

Not just any old weasel though A. A very special type of stand to attention, lick the boss’s boots clean jobsworth type of weasel…

Iv always been curious to why they all have a bit of brown on there nose? Must be a requirement…

I don’t get it, are we actually in favour of drivers fiddling the tachograph then? Do we like the idea of cowboy operators making a fast buck by fiddling so thereby doing us out of work becasue they can undercut rates and squeeze in an extra load each week? Personally I’d like to see the vehicle seized and scrapped.

cav551:
I don’t get it, are we actually in favour of drivers fiddling the tachograph then? Do we like the idea of cowboy operators making a fast buck by fiddling so thereby doing us out of work becasue they can undercut rates and squeeze in an extra load each week? Personally I’d like to see the vehicle seized and scrapped.

Its down to risk/reward. Im assuming youre in the UK, everytime theres a pull in the UK the vehicle gets seized or scrapped for whatever reason it seems. Going by the naziesque jackboot style governing bodies festering there with the same applied over here youred be scrapping half the trucks in Europe… :grimacing:

Edit:forget that.

So scrap half the trucks in Europe. At least the replacements would mostly be new trucks, or at least newer. :smiley:

cav551:

dead simple ( tosco plobber types excluded)…if you dont cheat…your not trying hard enough…a wee fiddle dont definately mean that its undercutting rates,it just makes life easier when you want to crack on,or go to your bed to suit yourself,not the clock…plus life is so much nicer sitting at 65 instead of 56…though as i already mentioned in another post earlier…its best not to overdo the magnets as everytime im on the bang and finally go to my bed,by the time i wake up again,the trucks pointing north :slight_smile:

cav551:

Not biting at dieseldog’s wind up before I start :laughing:

I don’t give a f about cowboy operators making a fast buck or whatever.
It’s the mentality of the drivers that I question. :unamused:
It said in the (BBC biased) report that a high percentage of rta.s are down to tiredness…Hello? is there not a message in there somewhere, where are the H&S nazis working FOR us drivers for a change?
I mean could it be that 15 hours on with only 9 off is maybe the cause of this? :bulb: …but that’s another argument for another thread.

The point is this is still not enough for these ■■■■ retards, they have to fiddle it so they can do even more :open_mouth:
AND they are fully aware they could do bird for the rest of their natural if they kill somebody through their ■■■■ irresponsible ways, the same ones who bleat on about their crap wages being £x quid an hour right through with no overtime rate…wake up ffs.

The drivers who are the more serious offenders, or caught more than once, should lose their HGV licence for 10 yrs that would sort the job out.

Also now Wilf and Doris, watching this show, and all the other public members who know ■■■■ all about trucking but hate all ‘juggernauts’ are being vindicated here by the actions of these retards,… so now me and the rest of us are tarred with the same brush.

Before anybody comes on calling me self righteous or whatever, don’t bother your arse, I wrote the ■■■■ book on fiddling tachos, switches, speedo cables, interrupters and all the rest of it in the 80s.
Not a hypocrite btw, but somebody who sees stuff for what it really is.

well said Rob, couldnt agree more…2 of a kind mate.

Far too much belief in plods ‘speed kills’ campaign me thinks. Speed doesnt kill, bad driving does.
Problem with the UK is that the govt wind it into the inhabitants there and before long the masses are brainwashed. As for tiredness, a drivers far more likely to fall asleep Tosco plobbing at 85kph than someone who wants to get there and get the job done doing 110kph… :stuck_out_tongue:

AndrewG:
Far too much belief in plods ‘speed kills’ campaign me thinks. Speed doesnt kill, bad driving does.
Problem with the UK is that the govt wind it into the inhabitants there and before long the masses are brainwashed. As for tiredness, a drivers far more likely to fall asleep Tosco plobbing at 85kph than someone who wants to get there and get the job done doing 110kph… :stuck_out_tongue:

With you on the ‘Speed kills’ thing, it doesn’t. The key word is INAPPROPRIATE speed kills, then coupled up with bad driving.

You mention 110ks, yeh that’s maybe fine on the A1 mostly, or the A14, as for poorer quality A roads, it’s a complete different ball game.
The second you would lift the limit to 110 on an A roads, the f/whits among us will do just that, all day long, and be to thick to differentiate between the suitable and the unsuitable.

Also I would hate to meet one of these retards who think a 15 is not enough for them and doing more, .and more than likely dog tired, coming towards me in my car on the A road up from my house…whatever ■■■■ speed they were doing.

AndrewG:

It doesn’t pay to speed, you are not making more money with doing 110 than 85, it’s nonsense.
The same is with overloading or tacho fraud, who do you think you are fooling??
Done it, been there, long before you where driving, done the 100 hours a week, use to work from Thursday to Tuesday/ Wednesday on the reefers to Italy.
Took me after I came home on Tuesday night up to Thursday afternoon to recover, but he ho, plenty money.
Many of us paid the ultimate price for that with their health, I have some health problems from working all the hours God given.

If we as Proffesionels let the standards slip, we are only faster in the race to the bottom.
Running overloading is cutting the rates, doing other drivers out of a job and money.
Tacho fraud is the same.
Regardless if road safety is involved (which it is) it destroys the industry, because the customers are greedy and want their stuff cheaper and faster.

And 110 is not very safe, do a calculation on braking distance from 110 (70mph) or 80 (50mph) you are a village further before you stop.
I drove in the time that there was no limiter, and we use to have to catch the boat in Puttgarden, do 100 km/h with your truck and touch the brakes, it’s not a nice sensation.
Your paid by the hour, why worry?

caledoniandream:

AndrewG:

It doesn’t pay to speed, you are not making more money with doing 110 than 85, it’s nonsense.
The same is with overloading or tacho fraud, who do you think you are fooling??
Done it, been there, long before you where driving, done the 100 hours a week, use to work from Thursday to Tuesday/ Wednesday on the reefers to Italy.
Took me after I came home on Tuesday night up to Thursday afternoon to recover, but he ho, plenty money.
Many of us paid the ultimate price for that with their health, I have some health problems from working all the hours God given.

If we as Proffesionels let the standards slip, we are only faster in the race to the bottom.
Running overloading is cutting the rates, doing other drivers out of a job and money.
Tacho fraud is the same.
Regardless if road safety is involved (which it is) it destroys the industry, because the customers are greedy and want their stuff cheaper and faster.

And 110 is not very safe, do a calculation on braking distance from 110 (70mph) or 80 (50mph) you are a village further before you stop.
I drove in the time that there was no limiter, and we use to have to catch the boat in Puttgarden, do 100 km/h with your truck and touch the brakes, it’s not a nice sensation.
Your paid by the hour, why worry?

Personally im not paid by the hour being an O/D i get paid per load. Doing 2k each way at 100 kph saves me four hours and around 80litres of fuel (long haul spec FH with tall final drive) and benefits no one bar myself as my regular drop and swop takes just over four days and max’s my driving hours. All it does is let me get the job done and be home at weekends, i earn absolutely zero extra apart from a small fuel saving. As for braking, the trucks design weight is rated at 60t, it gives no issues, i think you may be going back to the 60’s if youre quoting a village extra stopping distance :wink:
Btw, im hardly alone, i dont get overtaken on the hills but theres plenty that come past me on the flat, Nolans, LKW, Sajco, Betz just to name a few…

AndrewG:
Personally im not paid by the hour being an O/D i get paid per load. Doing 2k each way at 100 kph saves me four hours and around 80litres of fuel (long haul spec FH with tall final drive) and benefits no one bar myself as my regular drop and swop takes just over four days and max’s my driving hours. All it does is let me get the job done and be home at weekends, i earn absolutely zero extra apart from a small fuel saving. As for braking, the trucks design weight is rated at 60t, it gives no issues, i think you may be going back to the 60’s if youre quoting a village extra stopping distance :wink:
Btw, im hardly alone, i dont get overtaken on the hills but theres plenty that come past me on the flat, Nolans, LKW, Sajco, Betz just to name a few…

Ok the next village is maybe a little over the top, but the braking distance between 50 mph and 70mph with a 40 ton truck is actaully double the distance.
I am surprised that you can safe fuel with going faster, never seen that in 36 years in transport, many of my customers would be very happy if I could manage that.
The resistance of pushing a block (what a truck virtual is) through air is going up linear with the increase in speed.
While a tall final drive will reduce it somewhat, it’s nowhere near the loss, also will a tall final drive increase the use of fuel when driving in mountainous terrain as for example coming over the Pyrenees.

In the 80’s we put “coach” final drives in V8 Scania’s mainly for live stock transport to Italy, and not for saving fuel, but just to get there quicker.
The fuel usage was massive.
But the reducing in “weight loss” of the live stock paid the fuel bill and the fines, some Italy runners maybe remember a company called “Govers Reek” from Holland overtaking everything.

I done the cowboys, no living a better live with now and than an Indian.
You will find out it doesn’t pay, to be faster, your customer want it cheaper after a while.

robroy:

cav551:

Not biting at dieseldog’s wind up before I start :laughing:

I don’t give a f about cowboy operators making a fast buck or whatever.
It’s the mentality of the drivers that I question. :unamused:
It said in the (BBC biased) report that a high percentage of rta.s are down to tiredness…Hello? is there not a message in there somewhere, where are the H&S nazis working FOR us drivers for a change?
I mean could it be that 15 hours on with only 9 off is maybe the cause of this? :bulb: …but that’s another argument for another thread.

The point is this is still not enough for these [zb] retards, they have to fiddle it so they can do even more :open_mouth:
AND they are fully aware they could do bird for the rest of their natural if they kill somebody through their [zb] irresponsible ways, the same ones who bleat on about their crap wages being £x quid an hour right through with no overtime rate…wake up ffs.

The drivers who are the more serious offenders, or caught more than once, should lose their HGV licence for 10 yrs that would sort the job out.

Also now Wilf and Doris, watching this show, and all the other public members who know [zb] all about trucking but hate all ‘juggernauts’ are being vindicated here by the actions of these retards,… so now me and the rest of us are tarred with the same brush.

Before anybody comes on calling me self righteous or whatever, don’t bother your arse, I wrote the [zb] book on fiddling tachos, switches, speedo cables, interrupters and all the rest of it in the 80s.
Not a hypocrite btw, but somebody who sees stuff for what it really is.

Well said Roy.

If the ‘industry’ want to be professional then it should act as such. If you can’t do the job legally as a driver or operator then please leave and run another business/get another job. The industry won’t improve until we drive standards up not down.

caledoniandream:

AndrewG:

Ok the next village is maybe a little over the top, but the braking distance between 50 mph and 70mph with a 40 ton truck is actaully double the distance.
I am surprised that you can safe fuel with going faster, never seen that in 36 years in transport, many of my customers would be very happy if I could manage that.
The resistance of pushing a block (what a truck virtual is) through air is going up linear with the increase in speed.
While a tall final drive will reduce it somewhat, it’s nowhere near the loss, also will a tall final drive increase the use of fuel when driving in mountainous terrain as for example coming over the Pyrenees.

In the 80’s we put “coach” final drives in V8 Scania’s mainly for live stock transport to Italy, and not for saving fuel, but just to get there quicker.
The fuel usage was massive.
But the reducing in “weight loss” of the live stock paid the fuel bill and the fines, some Italy runners maybe remember a company called “Govers Reek” from Holland overtaking everything.

I done the cowboys, no living a better live with now and than an Indian.
You will find out it doesn’t pay, to be faster, your customer want it cheaper after a while.

My Fh is a long wheelbase 4x2, has the long haul spec final drive which keeps the engine revs at optimum torque and efficiency, also has a very low set fifth wheel which means getting a 4m tilt down to 3,9m the cab easily clearing the trailer, its also set to get the gap between cab and trailer down to 20cm. I also have side deflectors fitted which smooths out the airflow down the sides of the unit, it all adds up to better economy but ultimately its the engine at peak efficiency in top gear which gives me that fuel saving. Ive also specced my new truck with the long haul option. Re my customer wanting it cheaper, ive been subbing for the same company in Spain now for a long time and tbh wouldnt work for anyone else, they never cut the rates and if work theyre offered which doesnt stack up its turned down…

BTW- ive read somewhere ref coach diffs being fitted to the early Scanias, from memory it was in one of the old Commercial Motor mags which i probably last bought in the early 90’s…