Tacho exemption

OK In the distant past before I was a full time driver I used to work at a woodyard with a 7.5t at the time there was some sort of exemption that meant it could be operated within 50km of base without a tacho providing driving was not your main duty. For example I used to do the odd local delivery but my main duties were that of a buyer.

Does this exemption still exist and if so how does a digi cope with that.

There are mutterings where I am now about getting a 7.5t as a general runabout to replace an ageing LDV which is driven by whoever is surplus at the time. Obviously if I or the other HGV driver were to drive it we’d automatically be on tacho but we have a dozen or so machine operators who would be entitled to drive a 7.5t but would not have a tacho card.

Also when the driver cpc comes into force is that solely for regular drivers? or would the above operators be able to use the vehicle as it was not part of the regular duties.

Or have I dreamt the whole thing up.

Cheers.
G

8wheels:
OK In the distant past before I was a full time driver I used to work at a woodyard with a 7.5t at the time there was some sort of exemption that meant it could be operated within 50km of base without a tacho providing driving was not your main duty. For example I used to do the odd local delivery but my main duties were that of a buyer.

There are mutterings where I am now about getting a 7.5t as a general runabout to replace an ageing LDV which is driven by whoever is surplus at the time. Obviously if I or the other HGV driver were to drive it we’d automatically be on tacho but we have a dozen or so machine operators who would be entitled to drive a 7.5t but would not have a tacho card.

Also when the driver cpc comes into force is that solely for regular drivers? or would the above operators be able to use the vehicle as it was not part of the regular duties.

Cheers.
G

Are you sure all the machine operators can drive a 7.5 tonner? 1997 rings a bell :wink:

I’m 36 and all but about 2 are old enough to be my dad. The term grandfather rights could not be more appropriate!

8wheels:

No, i’m certain you’re spot on, there was such an exemption. Thats not the case now though i don’t think unless the vehicle runs on LPG.

8wheels:

The current exemption is for -

> Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum
> permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that
> are used:
>
> for carrying materials, equipment or machinery
> for the driver’s use in the course of his work.
>
> These vehicles shall be used only within a 50 km
> radius of the base of the undertaking and on the
> condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute
> the driver’s main activity.

You would need to check if what is being carried falls within the derogation. If the driver takes a bit of plant somewhere and he uses it then it might qualify. If he takes it somewhere for someone else to use then I would say it doesn’t apply.

VOSA give this example in connection with this exemption:

> This would apply to tradesmen such as electricians or
> builders carrying tools or materials for their own use.

As Mike says for normal deliveries the 50 Km exemption is for LPG or electric vehicles.

Ah OK cheers for that.

We’d probably be best with an LEZ compliant analogue tacho vehicle then. Is the dcpc all encompassing, I’m guessing that it will be.

i heard if you drive, for a job, more than 15 hours per year you need to have the dcpc.

i’ll try to find some info on that.

find out what you are carrying and for who and you might get away without a tacho

Driver CPC Exemptions

There are exceptions from the Driver CPC qualification for drivers of vehicles:

used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use;

undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service;

used in the course of driving lessons for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a Driver CPC;

carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the driver’s principal activity*

with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/h;

used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order;

used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions

*An example of a driver under exemption vii (also known as ‘incidental driver’) would be a brick layer who drives a load of bricks from the builder’s yard to the building site and then spends their working day laying bricks. In this case, driving a lorry is incidental to their main occupation.

Drivers can move in and out of an exemption, depending on the circumstances in which they are driving. For example, a bus mechanic would be exempt while driving a bus to check that it had been repaired, but would need to hold a Driver CPC if they also drove a bus on a passenger carrying service.

I’m thinking this is not the right direction for us, if we were to go down that route we’d need someone to drive it rather than it being a yard vehicle like we have now. An extra pair of hands fo general yard duties would be good but we’d have to try and find a load of work for the driver and truck to pay his way.

Considering the potential payload of a 7.5t beavertail, maintenance arragements, O licence and restriction on use I reckon a Defender and Ifor Williams is a better bet.

A 110 pickup could be used to do most of the required work and if we put a tacho in could pull the trailer to deliver small items of plant or vans etc. All of our blokes could drive it and we could handle the maintenance ourselves. An Ifor could also be used behind my wagon for a bit of extra loadspace if required.

If you were to look for an ex utility company 110HD or any 130 defender they have a gross vehicle weight of 3500kg, 450kg more than a standard 110, it makes them much better for plant hire firms carrying buckets, breakers, drums of diesel etc. and as you say stick a tacho in it and you can drag an ifor behind it.

8wheels:
A 110 pickup could be used to do most of the required work and if we put a tacho in could pull the trailer to deliver small items of plant or vans etc. All of our blokes could drive it

As the towing vehicle would be a category B then they would not need DCPC

Cheers, I’d spotted the HD variants already.

Is there anything else with a 3.5t towing capacity? A Landy would be good but it is a bit limited for it’s own loadspace. Do the little Mitsu, Isuzu or Cabstar have a good tow rating? More to the point are they actually any good for doing it?

8wheels:
Cheers, I’d spotted the HD variants already.

Is there anything else with a 3.5t towing capacity? A Landy would be good but it is a bit limited for it’s own loadspace. Do the little Mitsu, Isuzu or Cabstar have a good tow rating? More to the point are they actually any good for doing it?

isuzu.co.uk/vehicles/single-cab/towing 2.5 tonnes towing capacity

THIS GOOGLE SEARCH might be useful

There’s also this Tacho Exemption:

Vehicle is used by agricultural, horticultural or forestry undertakings as part of their own
entrepreneurial activity to carry goods within a 100 km radius of their base

From here

madmatt:
If you were to look for an ex utility company 110HD or any 130 defender they have a gross vehicle weight of 3500kg, 450kg more than a standard 110, it makes them much better for plant hire firms carrying buckets, breakers, drums of diesel etc. and as you say stick a tacho in it and you can drag an ifor behind it.

But bear in mind that this changes the MOT testing class. Over 3,000 kg GVW up to 3500 is Class 7, not all testing stations do it.

We’ve got a Ford Ranger which I think is 2500kg but to be worthwhile doing this we’d need the full 3500kg towing capacity.We also have a 3.5t truckso are used to the class 7 MOT’s.

I haven’t heard anything lately about what’s going on, probably nothing :unamused: