Tacho exemption

Hi guys. Am I mistaken or is there an exemption if you only travel a very short distance ie shunting between factory and warehouse which are about 1 mile apart ?

Cheers

Yes, you are mistaken, unless you don’t travel on public roads, then your not.

Yeah just been googling it. Thanks anyway.

Utility contractors used to be able to run on a log book if they did not exceed a certain radius from base I think. But that may not be allowed now.

If I remember correctly the max distance is something like 100yds ie to cross the road into another yard.

Dont shoot me if Im wrong though.

Stand against that wall fella, there’s a firing squad coming! :smiley: . There is no exemption for tacho’s even if “only” crossing the road. Leaving aside recovery, utility work, domestic log books etc. in theory you should put a card in even to move the vehicle six inches in the depot. Back in the real world however… :wink:

As a matter of interest, if the wagon is in the workshops it may get shunted around 10 times in a day, and perhaps taken on road test or to the tacho shop / specalists, what happens then ref tachographs ?

Workshops usually have a tacho digicard specific to them.

TJ82:

Thanks…

TJ82:

Which is nothing to do with driving the vehicle, its for calibrations and altering settings such as the time and the default mode. Workshop cards aren’t used for driving.

Coffeeholic:

TJ82:

Which is nothing to do with driving the vehicle, its for calibrations and altering settings such as the time and the default mode. Workshop cards aren’t used for driving.

I stand corrected.

Either way if vehicle is moving and your in it driving, so should your card be or a paper graph in place.

Years ago, our rigid drivers would run from depot down to Scania at Didcot (6 mile or so) to drop the motor off for service/inspection without a chart in and bring one back, also without a chart in, as they believed they could do that because 'there was a 10 mile limit

Actrosman:
Years ago, our rigid drivers would run from depot down to Scania at Didcot (6 mile or so) to drop the motor off for service/inspection without a chart in and bring one back, also without a chart in, as they believed they could do that because 'there was a 10 mile limit

I know a firm were 80% of there vehicles get serviced at the local dealer about 10 miles away, and tachos are never used and voso know about it and say nothing and has been going on for a while, that 80% is approx 30 trucks going every 6 weeks.

TJ82:

Coffeeholic:

TJ82:

I stand corrected.

Either way if vehicle is moving and your in it driving, so should your card be or a paper graph in place.

Not necessarily. a shunter could move vehicles around in a yard and not need to put a card or chart in everyone. A fitter doesn’t need to put a card or chart in to move the vehicle in and out of the workshop.

I drove a truck for the first time in nearly two years last week. Drove it from the yard I do a bit of office work at to the dealer for a service. It was about 2.5 miles and I didn’t use a tacho. I also check the tachos/digi cards for this firm but there is very little to check, I know for instance that none of the drivers working today had a tacho or their digi card in the vehicles today while they were driving and they were all legal. Just because a truck has a tacho fitted doesn’t mean it always has to be used.

… which begs the question Coffee, how were those driving actions technically legal? Recovery vehicles?

Snudger:
… which begs the question Coffee, how were those driving actions technically legal? Recovery vehicles?

Being driven under Domestic Regs spring to mind.

I thought if you stuck within so many miles of base you ran off domestic regs and logbooks? Pretty sure milk tankers run on similar, as do some buses.

Snudger:

Yep and none of them went outside the 100km radius from base. Try to avoid going outside that and we usually set up a relay for longer distance jobs, usually at places like South Mimms, Baldock, Toddington or Newport Pagnell.