tacho exempt.

could someone enlighten me because im confused,at the moment im driving with a card tacho that i never use because im hauling animal byproductand only need a log book,in september were getting a new truck with a digi tacho :imp:
ive been told that my log book will have to be almost a duplicate of the read out/printout of the digi even though we wont even been useing the â– â– â– â–  thing,so,what do you think,opions please

As far as I know (me not the expert) if you are tacho exempt then that means analogue and digi - you don’t need to use either.

cheers rog,there seems to be alot of confustion about,i know we dont have to use them,its wheather or not our log books have to match them,in the job i do there is alot of short runs and waiting time all of whitch you cant get on a log book,so if we have to try and match up to the digi basically were screwed.
the only thing we can match is the start/finish time.
next stop VOSA.
thanks again

Why are you using the tachos if you are exempt :question:

I though it was just a log book - nothing else :question: :confused:

A few simple answers;

if you are exempt EU drivers hours rules then you have the option of either using a domestic hours log book or using the tachograph fitted to the vehicle. If you use the tacho, you have to follow all the rules regarding centre fields, mode switch, producing charts at roadside, returning charts to operator as if you were driving under EU rules.

It doesn’t matter which type of tacho your vehicle is fitted with; digital or analogue, if you are exempt EU drivers hours rules you may use a log book and ignore the tacho. If you use the log book you are only filling in the time spent driving and the time spent on duty, and a few other bits of info, you are not making a detailed record of individual activities.

If you have been issued with a digital driver card, you must produce it, even if you are driving under domestic hours at the time you are stopped.

geebee45:
if you are exempt EU drivers hours rules then you have the option of either using a domestic hours log book or using the tachograph fitted to the vehicle

Seeing the word OR in that sentance then can I assume that BOTH should not be used at the same time :question:

ROG:

geebee45:
if you are exempt EU drivers hours rules then you have the option of either using a domestic hours log book or using the tachograph fitted to the vehicle

Seeing the word OR in that sentance then can I assume that BOTH should not be used at the same time :question:

Seeing the word OR in that sentence means you can do one or the other. There is no requirement to do both.
It doesn’t say you cannot do both. If your employer instructs you to use a tacho chart and keep a log book, then to keep your employer happy, do both. Both tacho chart and log book would give the same info.

I keep a personal logbook of my days work activities. I use a digi-tacho equipped vehicle working under EU Drivers Hours Rules, so there is no legal reason why I should.