Tacho Display v Tacho Printout / Software

Hoping you guys on here can shed some light / clarify this one for me.

PRINTOUT SAYS

Card in at 6.07am
Driving / other work
Break 10.45am - 11.02am (17mins)
Driving / other work
Break 11.11am - 11.40am (29mins)
Driving / other work
Break 13.29pm - 13.47pm (18mins)
Driving / other work
Break 16.34pm - 17.05pm (31mins)

You will have noticed that as the second break was, due to a miscalculation by myself, only 29 minutes, I have (According to the printout / software) gone over my 4hr 30 min maximum driving time.

However, at 11.40am after what I mistakenly thought was a 33min break, I ok’d / checked the tacho after a couple of minutes driving just to make sure it had reset, it had, and was showing 00hr.02min.

It is only now after downloading my card that the sofware (Globofleet) has shown up a serious violation of over 6hrs driving without a break.
I’ve checked the printout and it backs up what the software says, yet at NO point has the tacho display warned me that I needed to take a break.
Indeed as I’ve already said, when I ok’d the tacho display after my (Miscalculated) 11.11am - 11.40am break to see if it had reset, it had and was showing 00hr 02min

So guys, what’s your thoughts on this one and how would I stand if tugged by VOSA ?

Regards, The Soulman.

Mine does the same. Take a 30, then a 15 and it will reset, unfortunately. Do a print out for your records and write on the back that you ■■■■■■ up. Then forget about it - nobody died :wink:

The fact hat the tachograph has reset the driving time is irrelevant, on type 1 digital tachographs it will reset if you have three 15 minute breaks but we all know that’s not legal.

When you check how much break you’ve had you should always go by the display rather than calculating it yourself, see the second half of this post.

Ok guys, thanks to you both.

Regards, The Soulman.

The reason the tacho reset the driving time is that most digital tachos are still working to the old rules when it comes to breaks and as such they think that 17+29min counts for a 45 which we all know it hasn’t done since about 2006 if my memory serves me right.

As tachograph says though, driving times and warnings shown by the tacho head are only a guide, you have technically committed an office, but IMO if you did get stopped then assuming everything else on your card was in order I would personally expect nothing more than a slapped wrist for it.

Paul