Tacho/Digi card required?

Would a self employed coachbuilder need to use a tacho/digi card when collecting a 7.5t truck from a dealers to take back to the workshop?

I’m thinking this falls under hire and reward because it’s really for business purposes but I’m being told otherwise

Thoughts?

cheers

daffyd:
Would a self employed coachbuilder need to use a tacho/digi card when collecting a 7.5t truck from a dealers to take back to the workshop?

I’m thinking this falls under hire and reward because it’s really for business purposes but I’m being told otherwise

From memory, I believe that if the vehicle is unregistered it’s tachograph exempt.

So are we taking about new unregistered vehicles being driven on trade plates or vehicles going to a workshop for modifications ?

hi…

or vehicles going to a workshop for modifications ?

, this one - used vehicles fitted with tachos going to the workshop for work to be done…they would be private vehicles after the work’s done (horsebox/racehome/camper etc) but I’m guessing that doesn’t make any difference?

If you never carry goods I would say you’re exempt from the tachograph regulations.

However if you do sometimes use a HGV to carry goods either for your own business or to carry other peoples goods it’s a bit more of a grey area I’m afraid.

Here’s a link to the EU clarification note on the subject which I think the DVSA would almost certainly comply with.

ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/tr … tion-2.pdf