Tacho default query - mainly Mercs?

One thing that quite peeves me is jumping into a truck and it is usually Merc Actros’ and the default tacho mode is rest.

So every time you stop the sodding thing goes to ‘bed symbol’. It sometimes seems to do this on its own accord even if I change it to record accurately.

Q. How is this legal? It is obviously complete rubbish no doubt designed by operators to ensure you always have a break…even when working!

Q How do you change it? Can we change the settings, if so what is the process?

Only tends to be on Merc Actros’ and only some operators quite often the ‘pallet boys’.

Sand Fisher:
One thing that quite peeves me is jumping into a truck and it is usually Merc Actros’ and the default tacho mode is rest.

So every time you stop the sodding thing goes to ‘bed symbol’. It sometimes seems to do this on its own accord even if I change it to record accurately.

Q. How is this legal? It is obviously complete rubbish no doubt designed by operators to ensure you always have a break…even when working!

Q How do you change it? Can we change the settings, if so what is the process?

Only tends to be on Merc Actros’ and only some operators quite often the ‘pallet boys’.

New techno all do that put you card in do confirmation goes to bed, just press driver 1 till hammers are on do walk around start driving. Good thing is you don’t have to worry about breaks, only other work or working [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

It’s perfectly legal but to change it it needs to be taken to a tachograph centre, not something a driver can do. I personally prefer ones that revert to rest when turning off

switchlogic:
I personally prefer ones that revert to rest when turning off

Why?

Think it’s down to choice, I prefer rest default, saves accidentally recording excessive other work.

10 min job in a tacho centre to fix, apparently the tacho manufacturers default setting is rest, most tacho centres change setting on first calibration, however there are a few that don’t…

weeto:
Think it’s down to choice, I prefer rest default, saves accidentally recording excessive other work.

…but if you stop at traffic lights the sodding thing defaults to rest! Could be an infringement there?

Sand Fisher:

weeto:

…but if you stop at traffic lights the sodding thing defaults to rest! Could be an infringement there?

Mate after reading many of your posts I think you worry far too much about tachos, and give VOSA far too much credit for them being out to get you all the time.
Things are strict but not as much as you appear to perceive them to be…chill out ffs.
There is no way in hell you are going to get an infringement for sitting at lights for all of 45 seconds. :unamused:

Just whip out a newspaper at the lights, and your inward facing camera will show you were actually taking a break. It’s not your fault the lights changed back to green, is it?

ezydriver:
Just whip out a newspaper at the lights, and your inward facing camera will show you were actually taking a break. It’s not your fault the lights changed back to green, is it?

Or do a printout, with a picture stapled to it of you eating your bacon sarnie as proof. :laughing: :unamused:

We get that on alot of our new mercs when they come home.
some of the mangers said it was ok but we argued it and defected them.
they soon got sent in and changed to other work.

karl67:

I went the other way.
Unlike my previous Merc this one came with tacho going to ‘other work’ default, so I got it changed to ‘rest’ default, after parking up for a couple of times overnight and it being left on recording other work all night. :unamused:

…Managed to escape the Firing Squad penalty btw sandfisher. :wink: :laughing:

robroy:

karl67:

I went the other way.
Unlike my previous Merc this one came with tacho going to ‘other work’ default, so I got it changed to ‘rest’ default, after parking up for a couple of times overnight and it being left on other work all night. :unamused:

…Managed to escape the Firing Squad penalty btw sandfisher. :wink: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: Just got penal servitude…as a truck driver instead.

Sand Fisher:

weeto:

Mate, it only defaults when you turn the ignition off, not when you come to a standstill.

Where i worked at the time, square Merc Axors, even if you were on break you only had to switch the ignition on to open a window and the tacho would immediately switch to other work.
Far too complicated for the shiny arses to comprehend, let alone think about lifting the phone to get the brand new vehicles sorted :unamused:

ezydriver:

switchlogic:
I personally prefer ones that revert to rest when turning off

Why?

Because it’s what I’m used to. And also because we do very little other work, mostly just opening and closing trailer doors

Sand Fisher:

weeto:

It doesnt, while engine is running it goes to other work, only going to test when you turn engine off

Surely it’s better this way, as if you’re pulled and accused of “booking a crafty 15 on the pumps”, you can say. “Hey, all in good faith brother!”

When you insert or pop your card - I’ve had infringements before when I popped it whilst it was still on “other work”. Got told I should turn it to rest, wait a minute and then pop the card.

I would have thought that this is only a complete pain if your employer is only paying you for “card-booked hours that don’t include POA and Breaks”. :confused:

Are there any skinflints like that left, these days? :open_mouth:

Winseer:
Surely it’s better this way, as if you’re pulled and accused of “booking a crafty 15 on the pumps”, you can say. “Hey, all in good faith brother!”

When you insert or pop your card - I’ve had infringements before when I popped it whilst it was still on “other work”. Got told I should turn it to rest, wait a minute and then pop the card.

I would have thought that this is only a complete pain if your employer is only paying you for “card-booked hours that don’t include POA and Breaks”. :confused:

Are there any skinflints like that left, these days? :open_mouth:

Yep, Arrow XL for a start.

give me rest every time, I’m paid to put it on other work, but if you forget to put it on break every vosa man in every country will have you paying them in bigger quantities.