Tacho confusion

The office doesn’t require me to put in manual entry’s, but I do have to do time sheets.

So as long as I have 15 minutes on the first 6 hours of work then I can have 30 mins in the afternoon. I normally have 1hr ish about 2pm/3pm so I guess that will cover me.

Also that first 15 mins can be taken at the same time as I take 15 minute tacho break after couple hrs of driving.

I just don’t understand why they can’t make it simple. It’s crazy!!

You’ve hit the nail on the head regarding a good method of keeping yourself out of trouble, which is to take a 15 minute break a few hours in, which clears you to take another after driving has run out or before another six hours is up. It all depends what you are being asked to do and the hours involved. If I get a long second run, I don’t delay my 30 minute break because of that, I just take another 15 later on and get paid for it.

As for the rules, they can get a bit crazy yes. If you are over 6 hours having taken a 15 minute break, you can carry on working for hours but you are not allowed to just finish. Having said this, once you have your head around it, it is quite simple.

TruckerRossy:
The office doesn’t require me to put in manual entry’s, but I do have to do time sheets.

So as long as I have 15 minutes on the first 6 hours of work then I can have 30 mins in the afternoon. I normally have 1hr ish about 2pm/3pm so I guess that will cover me.

Also that first 15 mins can be taken at the same time as I take 15 minute tacho break after couple hrs of driving.

I just don’t understand why they can’t make it simple. It’s crazy!!

On a 15 hour on tacho assuming your total driving for the day is less than 4.5 hours your minimum breaks are
Work up to 6hours take 15mins this 15mins gives you another three hours taking the total to 9 at which point you need to take another 15 giving you 30 mins in 9 hours you could then work another 6 so long as you took another 15 mins before the end of your shift.

Remember POA does not count toward WTD but here’s a gotcha if you’ve been driving for say 2 hours take 1hours POA Work 2 hours Drive 2 hours take 15 min break so far that’s fine and you can work another 3 hours before you need another break but your tacho will say you can drive for another 2.5 hours but in reality you only have 30mins of drive time remaining. If you going to use POA note your total driving time before since POA can falsely clear your tacho driving time

And obviously POA does count toward your duty length 15 is your max no matter how much POA you have used

svgzone:
On a 15 hour on tacho assuming your total driving for the day is less than 4.5 hours your minimum breaks are
Work up to 6hours take 15mins this 15mins gives you another three hours taking the total to 9 at which point you need to take another 15 giving you 30 mins in 9 hours you could then work another 6 so long as you took another 15 mins before the end of your shift.

Incorrect
This is 100% legal for such a shift
Work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 2 hours
break 15 mins
work 15 mins

You seem to have got some incorrect info from somewhere regarding the rules so perhaps you could link to where you got that info from

Had this conversation with carlston see above my source

mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break
if working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes
if working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … time-rules
Click show Driving under the EU/ AETR drivers’ hours rules

Please explain how 6hrs work 15 break 6hours work is legal you do need 30 mins within 9 hours see above

What you’re quoting stopped being accepted around 2006 maybe 7ish sometime around there. You follow this you will get an infringement guaranteed. I think I’ve had three for this very thing :laughing:

svgzone:
Had this conversation with carlston see above my source

mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break
if working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes
if working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … time-rules
Click show Driving under the EU/ AETR drivers’ hours rules

Please explain how 6hrs work 15 break 6hours work is legal you do need 30 mins within 9 hours see above

What you’re quoting stopped being accepted around 2006 maybe 7ish sometime around there. You follow this you will get an infringement guaranteed. I think I’ve had three for this very thing :laughing:

IF is the word you need to be looking at
IF your working hours are EITHER above or below 9 hours then you have ONE of the two rules to follow - not both

Another way to look at this is to ask yourself these questions
Are my working hours between 6 and 9 only :question: - if yes then follow this rule but if no then look at the next rule
Are my working hours over 9 :question: - if yes then follow this rule

svgzone:

If the shift totals between 6 and 9 hours then 30 minutes total must be taken at some point during the shift.

If the shift totals over 9 hours, then 45 minutes total must be taken at some point during the shift.

The six hour rule also stands throughout and you can’t end on a break.

Noremac:

svgzone:

If the shift totals between 6 and 9 hours then 30 minutes total must be taken at some point during the shift.

If the shift totals over 9 hours, then 45 minutes total must be taken at some point during the shift.

The six hour rule also stands throughout and you can’t end on a break.

Agreed and well put :smiley:

ROG:

No the word order is what you need to be looking at. if working hours total between 6 and 9 hours does not mean the same as if total working hours are between 6 and 9 hours therefore any shift greater in length than 9 hours both rules are true and therefore both apply. At least this is how it’s interpreted at Wincanton, DHL and numerous others.

I’ve not worked in the industry as long as you claim to have been in it, just 15 years, but since about 2007 everywhere I’ve worked have interpreted the rules this way.

svgzone:

ROG:

No the word order is what you need to be looking at. if working hours total between 6 and 9 hours does not mean the same as if total working hours are between 6 and 9 hours therefore any shift greater in length than 9 hours both rules are true and therefore both apply. At least this is how it’s interpreted at Wincanton, DHL and numerous others.

I’ve not worked in the industry as long as you claim to have been in it, just 15 years, but since about 2007 everywhere I’ve worked have interpreted the rules this way.

The law is clear - it is one or the other and not both - all tacho analysis companies use the law

If you interpret it differently then you are the only one on here - does that not tell you anything :question:

If you want proof then contact any of the tachograph analysis companies

ROG:
If you interpret it differently then you are the only one on here - does that not tell you anything :question:

It certainly does. Should I go with the Wincanton or DHL interpretation of the law or ROG’s - it’s a tough one :laughing: Book your lessons with ROG folks coals down in price this week and the Sentinel’s primed and ready to go.

svgzone:

ROG:

It certainly does. Should I go with the Wincanton or DHL interpretation of the law or ROG’s - it’s a tough one :laughing: Book your lessons with ROG folks coals down in price this week and the Sentinel’s primed and ready to go.

I strongly suggest you check out the law with the tachograph analysis companies before commenting any further :bulb:
I checked the law with the old VOSA now DVSA and with a few of those companies to be 100% accurate before posting on here on this issue :smiley:

Here is a well respected company you can email enquiries@novadata.co.uk with the scenario I posted earlier in this thread

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … -rules.pdf

Page 17

svgzone:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/856360/simplified-guidance-eu-drivers-hours-working-time-rules.pdf

Page 17

Says nothing different to what has already been stated to you - in fact it proves my point - as you cannot take a break at the end of a period then that 30 min break at 9 hours work would be illegal in your thinking

I REALLY suggest you get help from an expert in the field before posting incorrect information again which other may think is the law when it is not :unamused:

I’m saying you need a minimum of 30 mins within 9 hours the first of which must be at or before 6 hours and at least 15mins in length when your duty exceeds 9 hours it’s you who is claiming you can work the first 12 hours with only a 15 min break

ROG:
Incorrect
Work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 2 hours
break 15 mins
work 15 mins

Thinking caps on folks what seems more likely to you.

svgzone:
I’m saying you need a minimum of 30 mins within 9 hours the first of which must be at or before 6 hours and at least 15mins in length when your duty exceeds 9 hours it’s you who is claiming you can work the first 12 hours with only a 15 min break

ROG:
Incorrect
Work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 2 hours
break 15 mins
work 15 mins

You can legally but you have it in your head that it cannot be done and I cannot help you in what you believe but I can help you with what is the law

If I’m working a 15 hour shift can I legally work the first 12 hours with only a 15 min break after the first 6 hours. :question:

My email is ready to go to the DVSA. Can I keep a straight enough face to hit the send button :question: ROG You’re a good sport why don’t you send it and post their response. :laughing: Make sure they know you are an instructor you’ll get a quicker reply.

svgzone:

If I’m working a 15 hour shift can I legally work the first 12 hours with only a 15 min break after the first 6 hours. :question:

My email is ready to go to the DVSA. Can I keep a straight enough face to hit the send button :question: ROG You’re a good sport why don’t you send it and post their response. :laughing: Make sure they know you are an instructor you’ll get a quicker reply.

I am not an instructor - where did you get that thought from :question:
Please post your reply from the DVSA

LGV INSTRUCTOR 2005 to 2008 - LGV DRIVER 1978 TO 2004
OBSERVER FOR ADVANCED DRIVING 1998 to 2016

svgzone:
LGV INSTRUCTOR 2005 to 2008 - LGV DRIVER 1978 TO 2004
OBSERVER FOR ADVANCED DRIVING 1998 to 2016

That was 13 years ago and I was an LGV driving instructor not an instructor for the regs

PS - remember to put in that scenario to the DVLA that the driving time for the shift was under 4.5 hours