Tacho card error

Card fine in all the trucks recently but when put it in the company card reader to download yesterday for the end of the week it said card read error about 3 times, on the 4th time of reinserting it read ok. Could this be a sign my card/chip is starting to go faulty? It’s a 4 year old card now.

Could be the system.
I handed my card in Fri to be dowlnaded they said no point the system they use isn’t working.
Have to do it next Friday
Don’t know how it works guessing it connects to a server someware

But could be related?

Probably just a bit of muck on the card, or in the reader.
If the card repeatedly acts up in different tachos and readers then there may be an issue, otherwise, give it a light wipe with a clean cloth and don`t worry.

I would think if it works in all the trucks you have used,and if the same “error” has appeared with other Drivers cards, then its more than likely the Office reader thats at fault.

Depending on the model of the card reader the test to do is first of all try someone else’s card, if that works then it’s most likely your card. If that doesn’t work then its either a failed reader (rare) or low batteries or full memory stick if the software you use doesn’t clear old records when it downloads.

Another driver put their card in and it worked fine, so then I tried again and mine then worked as normal that time.

Very likely just a bit of crud on the contacts on your card or (less likely) in the reader.

A couple of times I’ve had chipped cards go wonky on me. One digicard, 2 bank cards and a company identity/access card. Working on the basis of them being stuffed anyway so I couldn’t make them any worse I managed to get them working again by giving the chip contacts a light but thorough going over with a pencil rubber.

These days I refuse to hand over my digicard for downloading, insisting on inserting it into the machine myself. I started doing this when I worked at a place where the fat oik in the office always looked at the card handed him, then wiped it on his greasy pants before inserting it in the machine! :imp:

Card reader on the Tachomaster system at use where I’m at is an Omnikey 3121 smartcard reader. When I went to work for a tech company a couple of years ago those effin things were the bane of my existence there, often going faulty on customer’s systems. They’re dirt cheap like £10-£12 or so which is why Tachomaster use them.

Conor:
Card reader on the Tachomaster system at use where I’m at is an Omnikey 3121 smartcard reader. When I went to work for a tech company a couple of years ago those effin things were the bane of my existence there, often going faulty on customer’s systems. They’re dirt cheap like £10-£12 or so which is why Tachomaster use them.

I thought Tachomaster were simply a software provider, so whatever platform they were running on was down to the individual operator?

WhiteTruckMan:
I thought Tachomaster were simply a software provider, so whatever platform they were running on was down to the individual operator?

They also sell card and VU readers, scanners, charts and other supplies. But there is no requirement for customers to use them.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk