Tacho Assistance

2nd day out driving yesterday (fridge). Each and every time I stopped to unload, the machine would record this time as “rest” and not “other work” unless I pressed the button for it to record correctly. However I must admit to forgetting to do this as my shift got closer to the 15 hour mark and so my printout shows I rested a lot!

Why did it do this?

jonesy1985:
2nd day out driving yesterday (fridge). Each and every time I stopped to unload, the machine would record this time as “rest” and not “other work” unless I pressed the button for it to record correctly. However I must admit to forgetting to do this as my shift got closer to the 15 hour mark and so my printout shows I rested a lot!

Why did it do this?

because you didn’t tell it not to
hope this helps

Is it a MAN by any chance as they have a habit of doing that

green456:
because you didn’t tell it not to
hope this helps

Perfectly observable fact of the matter at hand, thank you :slight_smile:

I wouldnt worry about it ,at least you are showing plenty of breaks ,before wtd and poa every time i stopped it was put on break.

animal:
Is it a MAN by any chance as they have a habit of doing that

No…brand spanking new Auto Merc…but what has vehicle make got to do with it? I had assumed that these tacho machines were completely isolated in terms of circuitry from the main electronics of the vehicle?

It will be the way the tacho is set then you can change it but I am not sure how as know Simon has done with his merc

seth 70:
I wouldnt worry about it ,at least you are showing plenty of breaks ,before wtd and poa every time i stopped it was put on break.

Thanks Seth…encouraging.

At training school it is suggested that the 11th commandant is “thou should not incorrectly impute a false command on the tacho” consequences of such a crime without pentenance will result in an immediate descend to hell

The way the tacho is will be how it was set up in manufacture…Unless the dealer is told otherwise ,when it is calibrated they will leave that setting as is…We have customesr who when their vehicle arrives will request that it is set to default to other work

As has been said, it is all down to how the tacho has been set up when it was installed / calibrated.
I think I ,might be correct in saying, that it would have to go BACK into the dealer / tacho centre to be changed … don’t think it can just be done by the driver ? I have heard, some places will do it, but others won’t … might need to ask the boss.
No great problems … you get to show plenty of rest … good idea to remember to show SOME other work periods … just to keep VOSTAPO happy, if you get checked LOL… they might query, if you just show rest all the time.

Hi jonesy - By an unhappy coincidence, this happened to me today. Most of our rigid fleet are 63 reg auto TGMs on digi tachos, and they all default to other work when ignition is switched off. I was allocated the pig of the fleet this morning (a 55 reg 4 over 4 with a Kienzle disc tacho). At end of shift, I noticed that it had been defaulting to Rest/Break each time. My bad for not noticing, but I have been conditioned to expect a default to other work. Back at the depot & on inserting the disc into the reader, my gaffer quite simply manipulated the tachomaster software somehow to put this minor issue back into a non issue. No idea what he did, but he didnt make the slightest fuss about it, so I can safely assume that it was not really a big deal. I will be driving this pig again on Saturday, so ive just made a mental note to switch it to o/w each time I tip !!

These things will happen now and then, when nothing`s standardised. :unamused:

Dealer fix.

Can be set up as such with.a Company Card when they have got the vehicle and “Lock in” the company information

Traffic Rat:
Can be set up as such with.a Company Card when they have got the vehicle and “Lock in” the company information

Really? Not doubting you (well only your info :smiley: ) and I apologise if wrong but it was my understanding that only an approved tacho centre can alter the default setting.

Traffic Rat:

don’t talk rubbish

Traffic Rat:

don’t talk rubbish man, only a approved tacho calibration centre can alter the settings using a workshop card :smiley:

It can be changed with a company card (if it’s a stoneridge)

se5000.com/support-faq.html

As Denis F has said if the tachograph is a Stoneridge the default setting for when the ignition is switched off can be set with the company card, if it’s a Siemens tachograph then I’m afraid it would have to be done at a tachograph centre.

So if it’s a Siemens tachograph you have the option of either talking your boss into paying to have the default setting changed or you remember to change the mode when you switch off the ignition.

I have had that fault before and it defaults to other work when stopped, even if i changed it to rest, once the ignition key was taken out it reverted to other work again, eventually it had to be taken to a DAF agent to change the default setting.