Tacho advice.

Sorry to keep asking questions but I’m a bit lost. So my driving job involves few hours out on the road , take my break while out and about. Then back to depot for couple hours warehouse work. My question is would you eject card when bk at depot then do manual entry next day or leave lorry parked up with card in take keys into depot then retrieve card as leaving to save doing manual entry? I’ve been doin second as seems easier however is my card actually doing anything whilst it’s sat in the tacho and I’m in the depot keys in pocket?

It would seem the sensible thing to do. Why faff about with manual entries when card can be recording other work in real time.

When you…

Get back to the yard and do other duties. Park it up, set it to show other work, lock it and take the keys with you. Before you leave to go home, go back and get your card out.

Why do manual entries when the tacho will do it all for you?

If you need a break when doing your other duties, show it.

Your card will be recording all the time it’s in the tacho 24/7/365.

Largeperm:
Sorry to keep asking questions but I’m a bit lost. So my driving job involves few hours out on the road , take my break while out and about. Then back to depot for couple hours warehouse work. My question is would you eject card when bk at depot then do manual entry next day or leave lorry parked up with card in take keys into depot then retrieve card as leaving to save doing manual entry? I’ve been doin second as seems easier however is my card actually doing anything whilst it’s sat in the tacho and I’m in the depot keys in pocket?

All the time your driver card is in the tachograph it’s recording the activity you’ve set the mode switch to, so as others have said I would leave the card in until the end of the shift.

However, remember that when the ignition is switched off the tachograph will default to whatever the ignition off setting is, if the tachograph defaults to break/rest when the ignition is switched off you will need to select other work after switching off the ignition and before doing the warehouse work.

Perhaps not for the rest of you but for me that scenario would have me going home before remembering to eject my card and take it with me, if not on the first day, then one soon afterwards.

If you were always using the truck again before finishing shift it would be different, but I would prefer to catch up the next morning with a manual entry than get to work and realise ive left my card in on other work all night.

The only downside with leaving your card in is if you forget to go back to the lorry and switch it to break if you take a break and you then can end up with your card recording you exceeding the WTD periods for working without a break.

I don’t know why people are so against doing a manual entry, they’re not hard and a lot of people who don’t do them seem to be making them out to be some kind of Krypton Factor challenge that they aren’t. Doubt it takes me 30 seconds to do a manual entry covering the end of the previous day and the start of the current one before I put my card in.

If you’re worried about forgetting to go back to get your card, leave your car keys in the truck.