T 'reg Actros v 03 'reg FH12 - which wins?

Hi all.

My usual form of transport is a T 'reg Mrecedes Actros (see picture forum), however at the end of last week, it developed a minor fluid leak from the steering box, this was diagnosed as a faulty seal, which was promptly replaced, however following a quick drive around the yard, things went pear shaped big time, there was a loud bang and the steering locked up solid :open_mouth: , a new rack was required.

So, I was given the 03 Volvo FH12, 500hp, twin drive Globetrotter, plated for 150t!

Wow! I thought. This is going to be a nice week, or was it?

There are some great points on this truck, obviously the power, bunk very comfortable and most certainly the mirrors-

-nice size, stable, heated and full electric controls-

Dash dislpay & on board computer A1.

Unfortunately, there were more bad things, than I expected, only 12 gears, meant that at 89kph, the revs were 1650, sounding as though it was over-reving and needing another gear,the drivers seat was very hard, there were no arm rests (although the passenger seat has 2 :confused: ), only 1 24v socket (Actros has 6), dash top storage very poor-

as you can see, it only just holds my ā€˜hours guardā€™ (plenty of storage low down, but not safe to use when driving), cup holders just out of reach, and as for the Volvo radioā€¦

it spends more time off tune, searching for stations than anything else!

All, in all, yes itā€™s a nice truck to drive, but for driver comforts, I think it fails miserably, give me my T 'reg Actros back anyday :smiley:

These are my own views and opinions, Iā€™m sorry if this topic offends anyone

John

Hi Cornish,

Iā€™ve just been given the keys to a Actros 2544 and love it, plenty of room and sockets not too sure on the gearbox though especially when reversing :confused: .

Have never driven Volvo so canā€™t comment on that but they sure look nice :smiley:

I think I saw you on friday, heading towards the a30 from newquay (where the jcb acident was a few years ago) didnā€™t realise it was you as I was keeping an eye out for the merc. I was in the p williams hire 7.5 tonner. Was that you and did you see me?

Stuart

Hi Linux-user

I take it you have the electronic box (small T lever) with push button either side and half gear switch on fron

If yes, when you are used to it, you wonā€™t want to go back

John

Hi Sniper,

Not me mate, was in Bristol at 4am :open_mouth:

Good luck for next week.

John

I have driven the old FH (X reg) and thought it was pants. Canā€™t comment on the new one though.
As for the Actros, I drive a ā€œnewā€ Actros 2544 on a '54 plate and I can find little to complain about it.
Mercedes have really come good with this new model.

Well if I had a choice I would stay with my Renault Premium.

Absolutely hate Mercedes Trucks, I cannot name a good one they have ever made from the 1418 to the 2550. i have driven many and hated them all :arrow_right:

Unfortunately my opininion on the FH is not much better having spent 3 months double manning a 420 two years ago. I still think the F12 Globetrotter was a far superior truck.

I would have to throw an MAN or a DAF XF into the bundle to do a proper test.

Bet this upsets more people

Hi Cornish,.

Yep its the gearbox you describe a wee T bar 2 buttons on end of T and a small lift bar on front for splits and a M/A switch.

Got told on Friday come the new year will get the new model megaspace, never been in one but supposedly rather nice :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

Bet this upsets more people

Not at all Malc, this is a public forum after all, and you are entitled to your opinions. :smiley:

On the subject of opinions, that Premium is a complete bag of dogs doo, donā€™t you think?? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Linux-user:
Hi Cornish,.

Yep its the gearbox you describe a wee T bar 2 buttons on end of T and a small lift bar on front for splits and a M/A switch.

Got told on Friday come the new year will get the new model megaspace, never been in one but supposedly rather nice :smiley:

Linux, you will fall in love with it :smiley: :smiley: Everything is improved over the old model, g/box, interior, storage is second to none. And you will have a flat floor. :smiley:

Linux-user

Without trying to teach Granny to ā– ā– ā– ā–  eggs, a few things I have discovered with the box -

If you push the right button in, as you move the lever forward/back it will change one gear at a time.

The front lever, gives you half gear up/down.

I have found that to select reverse, make sure stationery and wait 2/3 secs before selecting.

John

Hi Dan,

looking forward to the storage bit, have what i think is called long distance cab at minute and there isnā€™t much storage as its cut away above passenger side if you know what i mean.
And a pain to lift bunk to get to underbunk storage gggrrrrr
Kettle works though :smiley:

The Megaspace is exactly the same inside, except for a flat floor, and sliding draws under the bunk. Youā€™ll still have to struggle to lift the bunk to access the cupboards, and thereā€™s still a cut away above the passenger seat. Outside storage is much better though, oh, and its a lot further to climb in and out.

Iā€™ve had my new 2544 Actros for a week, and I have to say I love it!
Plenty of storage, easy to get to 24 and 12 volt sockets, comfy seat and easy to drive. The gearbox grows on you. I found that if you pre-select the gear with the T bar it will auto select for you, but if you depress the clutch then move the lever it goes up or down one whole gear. Alternatively use the half gear selector to move more than one gear at a time.
Iā€™m not a fan of the handbrake lever being in front of the heater control, but you get used to it. Same goes for the offside wide angle mirror - our other drivers hate it, but after a couple of days you get used to it being where you expect the normal mirror!
One rant wheich applies to most trucks I have driven - why canā€™t they have a memory for the seat? I spend ages every night trying to get the seat where I like it only to have someone drive it in the day and move it around! 4 or 5 stored settings would be perfect! I know, dream onā€¦!

MAGNUM thats all I have to say :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers cornish, will remember that. Agree with Gardun about seats though would be nice :smiley:

gardun:
One rant wheich applies to most trucks I have driven - why canā€™t they have a memory for the seat? I spend ages every night trying to get the seat where I like it only to have someone drive it in the day and move it around! 4 or 5 stored settings would be perfect! I know, dream onā€¦!

I belive the new FH has the ability to store 2 seat settings, depending on model
Steve

munibear:
MAGNUM thats all I have to say :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nice icecream :wink:

hiya john, having driven both the volvo and the actros, i would say that i cannot agree between the two. I found them both comfortable inside and to drive.

If i was personally buying one though iā€™d say itā€™d have to be the volvoā€¦ is a volvo nut so there ya go.

hehe

They are both nice trucks, but I fail to see the advantage you get in paying 20k more for a Volvo :slight_smile: or a Scanny :exclamation: