T payne transport

Hi all , has any body any pics of of T PAYNES TRANSPORT , i think they had depots in london & ipswich , the colour scheme was red chassis - brown cab & white roof , the main pics im after are a scania 142 & an atkinson borderer but any other pics will do ■■?

Andy

Great pic here of their 111… flickr.com/photos/49263046@N … otostream/

no quite what your looking for, but heres some of the 401 I built in T Paynes livery

VERY NICE MODEL , WHO DID UR DECALS , I WAS THINKING OF DOING A SCANIA 142 OR THE ATKINSON BORDERER

ANDY

Here’s one I took of MLJ 604W at Relum Ltd, Carlton Park, Saxmundham Suffolk back in 1980. Driver’s name was Alan (ISTR) and it was then brand new.
Sorry about the quality but old pic been scanned.

Are these what you are looking for? transportphotos.com

BC00039-02.jpg
VS01256.jpg
VS01662.jpg

Remember that fleet and when they came up for sale they were in demand as very clean, believe some of those Scania’s only had 5 speed gear boxes but I might be wrong, any one know ? cheers Buzzer.

Hi my name is John barden. I drove the last Atkinson borderer they had. It had a 240 Gardner engine that would outpull the scania’s over shap. Noisy. No power steering and no point having Windows cos it leaked like a sieve!! Oh!! The driver from the Ipswich depot was called Allan Yates Aka. Rowdy ( from rawhide ). And was I glad to get a scania?? Bet your nuts I was.

Hi Andy
Sorry no pic’s but as a kid I remember T Paynes motors in Peckham South London they must have had a depot there anyone remember ■■

I realize this is an old thread now but it’s the only place I found reference to T Payne … my father Doug Cull was a manager and occasional driver at the london location through the 1970s and 1980s; I once watched him compete in the 1987 Lorry Driver Of The Year regional contest in Surrey, and took some photos which I’m posting here. Sorry for the grainy quality, this is 36 years old now!

Welcome aboard Ian! You need to remove your pictures and downsize them in paint or some other facility, then repost them. They’re too big as they are and other posters will have trouble using the thread :wink:

T Payne Ltd had their main office in Cottage Green, off of Southampton way
They had an office in West Brom
There was a second driver called Frank in Ipswich and Barry in Portsmouth
Bob Gladwell and a second driver Barry
operated from Milton Keynes
My Dad, Brian Morey, was a driver for them for a number of years and I learnt my trade as a mechanic working for them from 1982-1988 before leaving to work for London Transport
The boss was Frank Absolom/Lofty, not 100% on the first name
Also Frank Koobah, that spelling may be incorrect

Most of the photos below will be of my Dads vehicles, there is one with Doug Cull in the picture. The black and white photos show my dad in both photos at a lorry driver of the year competition along with a phot of him with 2 other T Paynes drivers

T Payne DAF2

T Payne DAF1