T Forms , Carnets , permits & cmr's?

One for the ‘older’ euro men -: For a brief stint in the mid/late 80’s as a young pup i did some trips over the water- mainly in puddlejumpers for Paul Binns Haulage Northampton & i recall all the mentioned documents , but would love someone to explain exactly what they were used/needed for etc , & wasn’t it even more complicated if you entered Germany as you had to declare amount of diesel in your tank etc :confused: :confused: ?

tonyhogi:
One for the ‘older’ euro men -: For a brief stint in the mid/late 80’s as a young pup i did some trips over the water- mainly in puddlejumpers for Paul Binns Haulage Northampton & i recall all the mentioned documents , but would love someone to explain exactly what they were used/needed for etc , & wasn’t it even more complicated if you entered Germany as you had to declare amount of diesel in your tank etc :confused: :confused: ?

T forms you will be familiar with, normally T1 for out of EC and Swiss or T2 for the EC

Carnet TIR for the sealed load or Carnet de Passage for vehicles or temporary import of tools or equipment.

GV60. Document with photo of trailer and TIR test certificate

ATA permit for the refrigerated lads

International Road Freight Permits from DOT in Newcastle. These allowed different countries to control how many vehicles they allowed to transit or terminate there. Forgerys were rife.

CMR is simply an international consignment note.

Zahlkarte for statistics on the German borders

Tankscheine for the declaration of fuel in Germany (200 litres)

10 French francs (later 50ff) in your passport for the French customs in Calais :stuck_out_tongue:

Malc,

ATA Carnets were/are for the temporary importation of goods, like exibition stuff, I think you mean ATP certs for the fridges, the certificate was good until the date you saw painted on the front corner of fridges :wink:

newmercman:
Malc,

ATA Carnets were/are for the temporary importation of goods, like exibition stuff, I think you mean ATP certs for the fridges, the certificate was good until the date you saw painted on the front corner of fridges :wink:

Just testing to see if you were awake :blush:

Yes the FRC and FRA number was the expiry date stickered or painted on the trailer body denoting chilled or ambient I think.

ATA was as NMM has said, for goods or samples for temporary import. I was forgetting them and using the CPD - Carnet de Passage as an example for the temporary import of motor vehicles.

And there were the EUR1&2 forms, I remember the best thing about these were that if you lost one before arriving at Greek Customs you got a weekend on the beach before it got sorted :sunglasses:

When I think about all the official documents we used to carry it boggles my mind, not including the paperwork for the load, which could fill a good sized box with a load of groupage. To be able to run around anywhere over the water you needed an EEC book, an ECMT book, French/German/Italian and Austrian permits if you wanted to transit Swiss or Austria as you could do neither with a book, a GV60 if you wanted to run a Carnet TIR, a Carnet for your trailer, the aforementioned ATP Certificate if you were running a fridge, E111 forms and a Transmed card if you were lucky enough to work at a decent firm, an International Driving Licence, oh and the most important of all…a passport :laughing:

Then there were all the different currencies, a run to Vienna with a reload in Italy meant you had to have French Francs, Belgian francs, Guilders/Lux Francs depending on which way you went, Deutchmarks, Austrian Schillings, Italian Lira, Swiss Francs if you were light enough on the way back and finally a few quid for a pint and a pie back in Dover :sunglasses:

By the time you loaded all the paperwork and money in the cab you just about had room for a box of PG Tips and 200 Bensons :stuck_out_tongue:

I seem to remember a green form called a T2L for Port to Port :confused: .
When Greece joined the E.E.C. in 1981 I am sure that I started one in Dover and ran to Furth -im- Wald in West Germany. The load was bonded across each of the Commie Block countries, Czecho, Hungary, Rumo and Bulgy and the form T2L was restarted at the Kaluta border in Greece and finished in Volos. Even with the cost of bonding the load it worked out cheaper than using a Carnet T.I.R. or so I was told.
Extra C.M.R.'s, plus carrying a spare carnet were always handy along with a bottle of whiskey for the weighbridge going into Hungary :wink: .

Regards Steve.

Mushy, 81 is a bit before my time, could you T form as far as Ipsala and then start a manifest for Turkey rather than run a Carnet back in those days :question:

ETA : I know nobody did it because Yugo was much cheaper, but theoretically could it have been done that way :question:

mushroomman:
When Greece joined the E.E.C. in 1981 I am sure that I started one in Dover and ran to Furth -im- Wald in West Germany. The load was bonded across each of the Commie Block countries, Czecho, Hungary, Rumo and Bulgy and the form T2L was restarted at the Kaluta border in Greece and finished in Volos. Even with the cost of bonding the load it worked out cheaper than using a Carnet T.I.R. or so I was told.
Extra C.M.R.'s, plus carrying a spare carnet were always handy along with a bottle of whiskey for the weighbridge going into Hungary :wink: .

Regards Steve.

T2L was what you had made out to have your diesel put on also was’nt it■■? If you “Manifested” across the none EU part of the journey it was the T2L that got you through the EU bit & what you used to clear on destination. As I remember a T2L always accompanied the Carnet TIR up untill exit of The EU anyway. Off back to bed now my heads aching with thinking…There was also some sort of guarantee you could produce to get your fuel back across through Germany too, (not bonding it) I remember a JJ Smith driver doing it one trip at Voight an Hoff (spelt wrongly)

Rock’n’Roll run on ATA carnets when out of Euroland

mushroomman:

Regards Steve.

I cant remember the number, but do remember the problem, it was as you say, a T form to Waidhaus, manifest it through commie bloc and restart T2? at Gevgelia/Evzoni to run down to Pireaus.

My friendly neighbourhood kraut in Waidhaus finished the form in Waidhaus, it cost me a few hours in Evzoni with lots of Greeks running around the lorry. Good learning curve. It never happened again, well not to me anyway.

I was very well blessed with Yugo permits and had a little auction going in the BP garage :smiling_imp:

Have a look at these then!

These were just some of the docs required to get you from UK into the commie bloc and back when I started the m/e in 1975,that’s not taking into account permits for most countries as well as TIR carnets and Tryptiques.

Well done Mr Booties, they look in ace knick…

I recognise a few of them but the tank one was deffo from before my time…

It made the job more interesting doing a few bits of paperwork at each border. I would’nt fancy it now just sticking UTA/DKV cards in machines everywhere…

Yeah nice one for posting them, I found an ECMT book & a load of stuff in a briefcase a while back…

Still got a load of these in my briefcase.For the last 35 years I thought there may be a chance I’d be back out there!

This was the tankscheine uused between Holland and West Germany.

This was the tankscheine used between East Germany and West Germany at Kassel.
This was brought in at short notice,hence the crudity,when they tightened up from having no diesel control at all, and some of us were making a good living bringing black market diesel in our belly tanks and selling it in West Germany.Shame,but all good things come to an end.

How many can remember buying border insurance at Calais in the 60’s\early 70’s, If I remember correctly It was some think like 9 franc’s for 5 days, I found an old copy among some papers a few weeks ago I was going to put on here but alas my wife thought it was rubbish and put it through the shredder, also in the mid to late 70’s when T form came in I think we used use a T2\L for goods containing sugar to Swiss, you had to get a stamped receipt from the French to return to the customer so the British manufacturer could claim the sugar cost back as it was going outside the EU.

Ossie

T2L was a port to port document, I got caught out once, I should have shipped Flushing to Sheerness, but there was some Haz in with the groupage, so they shipped me Zeebrugger /Dover, and forgot to change it to a T2. It may well have been used for sealing tanks, but I think you couldn’t pass in to a 3rd Country with it, at least that was my understanding.

Dieseldogsix:
T2L was a port to port document, I got caught out once, I should have shipped Flushing to Sheerness, but there was some Haz in with the groupage, so they shipped me Zeebrugger /Dover, and forgot to change it to a T2. It may well have been used for sealing tanks, but I think you couldn’t pass in to a 3rd Country with it, at least that was my understanding.

I stand corrected, could it have been a T5? We used to have three or four pallets of cake in among a groupage load, it used to have it’s own odd numbered T form and was always checked by customs at Dover on the way out of the UK, dam still having trouble with paperwork now…… Happy days.

Ossie

OssieD:

Dieseldogsix:

I stand corrected, could it have been a T5? We used to have three or four pallets of cake in among a groupage load, it used to have it’s own odd numbered T form and was always checked by customs at Dover on the way out of the UK, dam still having trouble with paperwork now…… Happy days.

Ossie

The T5 is used to control goods which are subject to taxes, restrictions or refunds on export from the Community, and to provide proof that those goods arrive at a particular destination or are disposed of in a particular way

I am going Googling as I had a problem with a Transit doc and would love to know why, almost 40 years later

It seems very difficult to find the old info, like before we became SAD or C88.

I went to Bad Kissingen in 1975 and was handed my documents when I loaded and didn’t have a clue what I should do with them, they were all bloody foreigners and no matter how loud I shouted, they didn’t help me.

I came back to Zeebrugge and put my envelope in the “ships bag” as asked. Then sat around the next day for about 9 hours in Hull while the agents spoke to their people in Germany :blush: :blush:

Well nobody told me about stopping at the Dutch and Belgium borders with these papers :unamused: