T-cab on M40

Did anyone else see a Scania T-cab tractor with what looked like a full-length trailer heading south on the M40 north of Oxford about 9:30 this morning? The trailer had a gold-colour curtain but I didn’t see what name was on it or the tractor. But it looked like a standard length curtain-sider with three axles. I didn’t think this combination was legal, which is why Scania and Volvo stopped making them. Or is it allowed now that these extra-long trailers are about?

I think it may have been legal since the introduction of the new length trailers were allowed, as it obviously increases the overall length of a combination, someone will be along shortly to correct me :slight_smile:

Was it AS Taylor? I see their T cab quite reguarly on the M40

think Scania stopped making them due to lack of orders. Volvo’s I think are still made more so for the US / CN market but limited units built for the EU market but it never really took off

One driver I knew who was given a T cab was looking for a name badge to put on it. He wanted…

BRIGGS AND STRATTON

nickyboy:

Definitely not the same trailer - the one I saw was a curtain-sider, not a flatbed. Could be the same tractor, though. I didn’t catch the name as it was going the other way.

Looks to me like that topline is an after market job and not a proper Scania Topline.

Cant see it being legal just cos we can
run longer trailers as it still would need to comply
with the turning circle requirement

Am I the only one who thinks that they were dog ugly?

IndigoJo:

nickyboy:

Definitely not the same trailer - the one I saw was a curtain-sider, not a flatbed. Could be the same tractor, though. I didn’t catch the name as it was going the other way.

Ignore the trailer in the pic, i see it reguarly with a curtainsider

More like this?

I don’t think the new over length trailers have any bearing on this as they are all part of the Government trial. There was a Tcab from Ayrshire stopped by either the police or Vosa in Dover docks and it was pulling a 40ft and they would not let him go any further this was fairly recent so it would seem any one pulling is risking being nabbed. There has been nothing in the transport press to say there had been any change of law to allow it. Eddie.

nickyboy:

IndigoJo:

nickyboy:

Ignore the trailer in the pic, i see it reguarly with a curtainsider

More like this?

Yes, I think that was it.

Out of curiosity, when did sales/ manufacture stop?

that looks like it could be an older 40ft curtainsider though? which would be legal, seen quite a few on containers

robroy:
Am I the only one who thinks that they were dog ugly?

No you are not!! I hate the bloody things!

erfguy:
I don’t think the new over length trailers have any bearing on this as they are all part of the Government trial. There was a Tcab from Ayrshire stopped by either the police or Vosa in Dover docks and it was pulling a 40ft and they would not let him go any further this was fairly recent so it would seem any one pulling is risking being nabbed. There has been nothing in the transport press to say there had been any change of law to allow it. Eddie.

40ft is fine it’s 45ft where there may be an issue.

nick2008:
think Scania stopped making them due to lack of orders. Volvo’s I think are still made more so for the US / CN market but limited units built for the EU market but it never really took off

Here’s my Volvo in Canada.

nick2008:

Volvo’s North American long-nose tractors aren’t the same models they used to make for the European and South American markets. The NH is the one they’d sell in Europe and South America (equivalent to FH cab-over), the successor to the N-series. They never had big live-in cabs like North American tractors do.

I see one on the M4 quite regularly, dark blue unit and curtainsider sometimes with a Moffett on the back too, IIRC it’s a waste recycling company called Lewis, based down here in Wales somewhere.

Chances are it’s a shorter trailer that just happens to be a 3 axle, IIRC they only need to be a handful of feet shorter to cover.

Pretty sure SNT’s T-Cab runs a curtain most of the time, looses a couple of pallets in length