Switching shifts

I have just started working a 2 day, 2 night, 2 off shift pattern.

I finish the days around 5pm and start the night shift the following day around 5pm till 4 or 5 the next morning.

Does anyone else have this pattern? How do you work out sleeping for day/night change?

Best i have come up with is to try and stay up as late as possible on the last day shift (2 or 3 in the morning) then get as much sleep as possible, normally 6-7 hrs so i get up at around 10-11’ish (later if i can) on the day i start nights. Then obviously when i finish the 1st night straight to bed, getting a normal amount of sleep ready for the final night.
Then when i finish the final night shift, just grabbing 4 or 5 hrs kip to try and put me back on a “normal” sleep pattern for the days off in preparation for the day shifts again.

To be honest, its ■■■■’ing me up a bit.

DonutUK:
To be honest, its [zb]'ing me up a bit.

I should think it is ! I s’pose you have to take what you can get nowadays, but I’d definitely be looking for something else. A week of nights, then a week of days is one thing, but that’s a ■■■■ take.
I reckon you’d be pretty knackered, pretty quickly… dangerous for yourself and others. Good money is it ?

proper sleep on that shift pattern is impossible!!..surely those shifts are a health and saftey hazard■■?

We used to do 4 0n 4 off, which was 2 days 2 nights, needed the 4 off to get over it… Did 7 cycles of that then 18 days off…

Why did I ever leave the Papermill :unamused: :unamused:

I’ve seen that shift pattern in security work but never for a LGV job - would take a very particular type of person to do that for driving IMO.
I would think that for most people that would be bordering on permanent tiredness…

What a crazy shift pattern, why can’t you do either days or nights ? Bugger doing that shift. :unamused:

Same pattern as firefighters except they sit around a bit more then your average lorry driver lol