Switching Canadian CDL to US CDL

Hi there,
will move from Canada to the States soon and try to figure out if I can switch my Canadian CDL to a US CDL.
I’m German citizen and hold an Alberta CDL and I’m a lawful permanent resident of the United States now (Green Card).
Seems that I have to take all tests again in the US :imp:

Anybody has experience?

Tom

Yes i know off a an ex Bison driver that had a US green card (HE was Swiss) and he couldnt make his mind up wether to stay in Canada on a work permit or go to live in iirc North Carolina.
He decieded to move to NC and iirc had no bother exchanging his Class 1A.
There are people on here that have done it the other way round an MN ----to MB.with no problem
jimmy.

You have 90 days I think to run with your Canadian CDL I believe, but as you know you are moving here long term I sugest you just go to the local DMV and exchenge it, it’s easier than trying to exchange a European licence (which is a deffinate non starter).

Thanks guys,
but it seems to be that I"ll have to take all the tests again. Couldn’t find any official website of the DMV which stated to switch a Canadian CDL, only CDL’s from other states within the U.S.

Tom

Passed my CDL Test in Texas today :smiley:
No chance to switch a Canadian CDL to a Texas CDL!
Had to take all tests - Five multiple choice tests on the computer:
General Knowledge Test
Air Brake Test
Combination Test
Pre-Trip Test
Texas Road Rules Test

Then the skills test, Air Brake (explaining how to check air brakes) at the truck
Road test (driving for about half an hour)
Backing and parallel parking.
That’s it, no walk around pre-trip at the truck, it’s only the pre-trip on the computer :smiley:

35 years ago I passed my first CDL Test in Germany
4 years ago in Canada
and now Texas
hope this was my last test!

Tom

Congratulations. So Texas is your new home now? That will certainly be different in the winter!

robinhood_1984:
Congratulations. So Texas is your new home now? That will certainly be different in the winter!

Thanks,
yes it will be different and we will enjoy it :smiley:
Had the opportunity to go to humid South Carolina or dry Texas or anyway between. We’ve decided for Texas and we love it.
People are very friendly, found an apartment after a few days for a reasonable rent, a superstore (HEB) with a stunning diversity and prices not to compare to Canada.
Will be back on the road next week, got my newer Peterbilt today.

Tom

Very good, Tom. What kind of work are you going to be doing down there?

robinhood_1984:
Very good, Tom. What kind of work are you going to be doing down there?

Same as in Canada, long haul, flatbed, oversize loads.

Only the name of the company changed a bit :wink:

But still Watt & Stewart, a really good company to work for.

Hope it will be as good as in Canada, staff is very friendly.

Back on the road on Sunday for my first trip.

Tom

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

robinhood_1984:

Hi guys,

here’s an update:

After three months I was really disappointed what happened in the U.S. at W&S.
Lots of short trips lots of picks and drops, strapping, chaining and tarping.
Hard to get 10,000 miles in a month.
Had only one trip back to Canada, all other work was U.S. only.
Was forced to be out on the road for 4-5 weeks in a row.
Dispatcher not really friendly, lots of drivers have problems with him… :unamused:

Was throwing in the towel after three trips (three months).

Looked for another job and quit flatbed, I’m back on reefer again.
Left San Angelo TX and moved to Las Vegas NV.
My wife and I are really happy there, it was a good move.

Found a company in Fargo ND, flew to orientation to Fargo, got a nice 2013 Cascadia with APU, fridge, elogs, looks like new.
First trip was back home to Vegas to pick up my gear and my wife.
Now after 23 days on the road and about 10,000 miles driven I can say it was the right decision to leave W&S and to move on. Friendly dispatch, good trips, lots of miles, 3-4 weeks on the road, take the truck home when I have my days off. No babysitting, Qualcomm stays quiet, not thousand messages to send like H&R.
Usually I have a new load before I arrive to unload at the receiver, dispatch seems to be very organized.

I know that there will be ups and downs and no company is perfect, but I’ve not met one driver of this company who is not happy, everybody tells me “You will love it”.

After i Moved to Nevada, I switched my Texas CDL to a Nevada CDL in about ten minutes, no problems.
Will not go back to Canada with this company, it’s U.S. only, no more trouble with brokers and border crossings or meat inspections :grimacing:
Mainly frozen and chilled loads, rarely produce or broker loads.

Greets to you guys in the Cold White North, it’s a good feeling to come home for my days off and not freezing my ■■■■ off :laughing:

Tom

The Kraut:

robinhood_1984:

Hi guys,

here’s an update:

After three months I was really disappointed what happened in the U.S. at W&S.
Lots of short trips lots of picks and drops, strapping, chaining and tarping.
Hard to get 10,000 miles in a month.
Had only one trip back to Canada, all other work was U.S. only.
Was forced to be out on the road for 4-5 weeks in a row.
Dispatcher not really friendly, lots of drivers have problems with him… :unamused:

Was throwing in the towel after three trips (three months).

Looked for another job and quit flatbed, I’m back on reefer again.
Left San Angelo TX and moved to Las Vegas NV.
My wife and I are really happy there, it was a good move.

Found a company in Fargo ND, flew to orientation to Fargo, got a nice 2013 Cascadia with APU, fridge, elogs, looks like new.
First trip was back home to Vegas to pick up my gear and my wife.
Now after 23 days on the road and about 10,000 miles driven I can say it was the right decision to leave W&S and to move on. Friendly dispatch, good trips, lots of miles, 3-4 weeks on the road, take the truck home when I have my days off. No babysitting, Qualcomm stays quiet, not thousand messages to send like H&R.
Usually I have a new load before I arrive to unload at the receiver, dispatch seems to be very organized.

I know that there will be ups and downs and no company is perfect, but I’ve not met one driver of this company who is not happy, everybody tells me “You will love it”.

After i Moved to Nevada, I switched my Texas CDL to a Nevada CDL in about ten minutes, no problems.
Will not go back to Canada with this company, it’s U.S. only, no more trouble with brokers and border crossings or meat inspections :grimacing:
Mainly frozen and chilled loads, rarely produce or broker loads.

Greets to you guys in the Cold White North, it’s a good feeling to come home for my days off and not freezing my ■■■■ off :laughing:

Tom

LOL Tom, you do know it can snow in LV.
Good luck with the new company, shame about the W&S USA operation being so poor. I was reading your blog whilst I was away this summer and the trips were ridiculously long on time and short on miles.

mickfly:
LOL Tom, you do know it can snow in LV.
Good luck with the new company, shame about the W&S USA operation being so poor. I was reading your blog whilst I was away this summer and the trips were ridiculously long on time and short on miles.

Mick, I know,

right now it’s unseasonably cold in Las Vegas during my days off, it drops below freezing in the nights, but we still can have a smoke outside on the porch in sunny weather without freezing our butts off :grimacing:
Have seen some pics of Vegas in the snow, palm trees covered with the white stuff, looks funny…

Yes, it’s a shame that the U.S. operation is so different to the Canadian W&S, but that’s life, you have to make your experience here. With the company now, I have no complaints, 12,500 miles in a month that’s pretty good for a U.S. company, 2/3 of our drivers make more than 11,000 miles in 30 days, not too bad :sunglasses:

Was really happy with W&S in Canada, no complaints and I still would recommend this company for drivers looking for a job in Canada.

If you decide to come back to North America, let me know, there’s always a place for a reset in Vegas…

Tom