Switched to Nights

This week I have swapped day work collecting and delivering car parts to working nights on sugar tankers.

This so far seems to have been the best career move I have ever made! I get the days (once ive had my sleep) to spend with my partner and our daughter & son, then trundle from one sugar factory to the next in the dark with the comfort of my iPod and iplayer on my breaks, or waitin for a tank to be loaded!

Just wondered if anybody else has ever made this change and whether it was the right or wrong thing for them?

I never once thought I’d ever work nights, but then one day was offered the chance and have to say I love it.

Over here yes. It’s far less stressful. Abroad no. Too many nutters for my liking.

Loved it but then the Summer arrived and the School holidays, ended up that tired I wrapped it and took the holidays off with them.

Phones going, doorbell ringing, guy nextdoor knocking walls down and the ■■■ life went to zilch due to my headaches. lol

Kids crying. :smiling_imp:

Ended up stuck on it so I chucked it, can handle it now and again but permanently drove me insane.

That’s one thing I am worried about. My sons only 7 months but daughter is 4 and has 2 weeks off school now, and my god does she nag!

I guess I’ll just have to see next week if I still feel the same haha.

Let her nag son. They grow way too fast. Enjoy 'em whilst they’re little. :sunglasses:

i swapped to nights a while back doing night trunking for a TNT subbie , loved it at first but soon became very boring and i missed two summers of good weather because i was asleep during daylight hours .

but my biggest gripe was the constant night time detours due to the roadwork fairies closing the god dam M6 down , ■■■■■■ me off no end , if you love it then you’ll stick with it .

good luck my friend but its not for me now i was changing into a vampire … :sunglasses:

dbox87:
That’s one thing I am worried about. My sons only 7 months but daughter is 4 and has 2 weeks off school now, and my god does she nag!

Its when the whole Family is cowering in a corner because somebody stubbed their toe and screamed, youll know its not for you. :laughing:

The hoovers out in the bin, batteries for toys had to be smuggled into the house, Telly off at 11am. :laughing:

Dark nights turn you into even more of a loner.

You`ll love it. :laughing:

aranger:

dbox87:

Its when the whole Family is cowering in a corner because somebody stubbed their toe and screamed, youll know its not for you. :laughing:

The hoovers out in the bin, batteries for toys had to be smuggled into the house, Telly off at 11am. :laughing:

Dark nights turn you into even more of a loner.

You`ll love it. :laughing:

This forum needs a ‘like’ button just for posts like is!

i love nights…ive probably worked more years on nights than days…dark curtains and earplugs…no upstairs phone…less traffic on the road…yes the nighttime roadworks can be a pain but its a small price to pay.
tonight im not at work…fri and sat off…but i think im nocturnal now?

Ive been on permanent nights now for around 18 months and I love it.

Worked occasional nights in previous job and although it made the job easier the swapping to and fro made it difficult.

Doing it permanently I find much easier and for this job which is a lot of central London it makes the job so much easier.

Weekends can be a little strange swapping back to days but it’s time with the family so I make the most of it.

I must be one of the few people who goes back to work to catch up on my sleep.

Cheers
Neilf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked doing nights, i found that night people were much more interesting than the “normals” who worked days.

Oh, glad to see that people are thinking of the children who in turn seem to be thinking of the parents.

There’s a lot of love on this thread, It’s palpable. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No there isn’t ■■■■ off! :laughing:

Lasted a week on nights about 2 years ago,nothing wrong with the job,less blerts on the road,just couldn’t get used to sleeping in the day time,what with all the racket going on around,tried earplugs but couldn’t get used to them.

bigvern1:
No there isn’t [zb] off! :laughing:

Knew it couldn’t last! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bigvern1:
Over here yes. It’s far less stressful. Abroad no. Too many nutters for my liking.

But if you run at night there’s less of them on the road :sunglasses:

~ Craig

Go to any fuel station at night in Europe, and see what’s hanging around!! :open_mouth:

Craig 111:

bigvern1:

But if you run at night there’s less of them on the road :sunglasses:

~ Craig

Yes, in the summer I always preferred the Spanish practice of (drivers) sleeping during the day then schlepping up the road at night.

I did permanent nights for about 2 years and loved it. I started as night shunter then moved onto the trunk work, myself and a mate had a strange trunk. I started at 11.30 and he started at 01.00 so it was the best of both worlds, you could have breakfast, then go to the pub at lunchtime when you got up, have tea at home and go to bed again!

I did do a few months at DHL about 10 years ago but that was varied start times and slept in the truck during the day, it was more like a warehouse job then a driving job though.

I never did it but my wife did for years while the kids were growing up. I was working days and we had it all well organised. I used to hang a sign on the door “Nurse on night duty” and most (but not all) callers would not knock. The phone was switched off as well and I was the contact for the kids. (she had a cheap mobile no one had the number for if I really needed her).

The best thing about nights is that all the bosses are in bed and you are left to get on with the job. It’s all about getting organised.

I switched to permanent nights last July, best move I ever made. Easier driving, less traffic, different type of nutters and plenty of time during the day to do things. No problem sleeping during the day, house and mobile phones off, and as I live in an apartment with an entry phone to gain access that goes off as well so no one knocking on my front door either. Spent years sleeping in truck stops, service areas and lay-bys so any noise isn’t an issue.

See the light, drive at night. :wink: