Swindon bridge strike

To be fair tho, the trailer looks pretty tough, bulkhead still intact…

mobile.twitter.com/BBCWiltshire … 2883786752

theswindonian.co.uk/home/news/s … ge-strike/

My guess is that it’s a 15ft trailer and he’s gone with the theory that bridges are always 3 inches higher than what they are marked at so thought is good to go.

DickyNick:
My guess is that it’s a 15ft trailer and he’s gone with the theory that bridges are always 3 inches higher than what they are marked at so thought is good to go.

Maybe so, but if it was me that was winging it like that it would be lowered suspension, 1 mph with head and shoulders out of window, edging very carefully ignoring everybody around me.
It looks like he’s just gone for it, hoping for the best…and failed :neutral_face:

robroy:

DickyNick:

Maybe so, but if it was me that was winging it like that it would be lowered suspension, 1 mph with head and shoulders out of window, edging very carefully ignoring everybody around me.
It looks like he’s just gone for it, hoping for the best…and failed :neutral_face:

No he’s just passed 2 warning signs, a get out of jail turning and caused more than enough mayhem for all concerned. Maybe he was en route to his specsavers appointment or on the way back from his labotomy. It’s one of the towns most hit bridges and the2nd best signed (Whitehouse Road at 10 ft is the best). Can you guess whose mum was stuck on a bus held up & diverted. :imp: :imp:

Wiretwister:

robroy:

DickyNick:

No he’s just passed 2 warning signs, a get out of jail turning and caused more than enough mayhem for all concerned. Maybe he was en route to his specsavers appointment or on the way back from his labotomy. It’s one of the towns most hit bridges and the2nd best signed (Whitehouse Road at 10 ft is the best). Can you guess whose mum was stuck on a bus held up & diverted. :imp: :imp:

Ahh right then. :neutral_face:
So he didn’t even NOTICE the warnings…nor the bridge. :unamused:

He’d have made it if he’d gone through on all wheels, but this idiot is just doing it the fancy way. I guess this was a “hold my beer” moment…possibly literally.

I dont see why there aren’t more of the sort of gates with chains on them, in front of low bridges, like a619 towards worksop has? I’m sure that would stop most if not all bridge strikes by this sort of drivers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What gates with chains?

DickyNick:
What gates with chains?

At the roundabout either side of the bridge.

Mind you last time I went through I got under the first set, got under the bridge but rattled the chains on the way out despite running at 13ft 10in.

Yeah those. Maybe You was going too fast and they got caught in the sleepstream :wink:

folken83:
Yeah those. Maybe You was going too fast and they got caught in the sleepstream :wink:

Maybe. It was the chains rattling that alerted me it was the “clink” of them hitting me. Or me hitting them :laughing:

bristolrob:
To be fair tho, the trailer looks pretty tough, bulkhead still intact…

theswindonian.co.uk/home/news/s … ge-strike/

Collier lorry found itself stuck under bridge!

Journalism at its finest!!

folken83:
I dont see why there aren’t more of the sort of gates with chains on them, in front of low bridges, like a619 towards worksop has? I’m sure that would stop most if not all bridge strikes by this sort of drivers.

I agree, and with a turning circle lay by thingy. :smiley:
I think some just lose it tbh, panic like ■■■■, and then irrationally just go for it with eyes shut and hope for the best :open_mouth: …, where as if they had an alternative/get out clause, to turn around, a lot of it would not happen.

robroy:
I think some just lose it tbh, panic like [zb], and then irrationally just go for it with eyes shut and hope for the best :open_mouth:

Or there’s a lot of people who still don’t check the height, or look on a map when there’s a diversion. Someone who worked for our spot for a while did both, although to speak to him you’d think he had his head screwed on.

Doing a night trunk, the first day they casually asked me how tall the double decker trailer was as it came up in conversation about them “looking a bit taller than the ones I usually drive”. Yeah maybe because it’s a nearly 16’ double decker and you normally likely drive 14’ 9" trailers, but it does have it in massive writing on the headboard, honest.

Then several times had stories of how they’d hit a diversion due to road closures, but instead of following the diversion, they’d tried to be clever and ended up at low bridges. Even scarier, they used the “oh well they’re always a bit lower so I went for it” when they get to a 15’ 9" bridge with a 15’ 11" trailer. Excuse for not backing up…“well it was a very narrow village”, erm, which is maybe why the diversion didn’t take you that way!?

They walk among us and they have evolved not to drag knuckles so we can’t spot them…! :open_mouth: