Swedish truck driver, moving to the UK?

I am a 20 year old truck driver from sweden but I wish to relocate to the UK. I have the C+E(truck with trailer) license but I only have 6 months experience driving a truck without a trailer(rigid truck?).

I want to do long haul driving(tramping) but pretty much every long haul trucking job ad in the UK that I have looked at seems to require years of experience of driving with a trailer. How difficult is it to get a long haul trucking job in the UK if you only have experience driving rigid trucks? Is the competition for trucking jobs high in the UK?

What steps should I take to become a long haul truck driver in the UK? Would it be better for me to get experience with driving with trailers here before I come the UK? Is it easier to get a job driving a rigid truck than job driving with a trailer?

theswede:
I am a 20 year old truck driver from sweden but I wish to relocate to the UK. I have the C+E(truck with trailer) license but I only have 6 months experience driving a truck without a trailer(rigid truck?).

I want to do long haul driving(tramping) but pretty much every long haul trucking job ad in the UK that I have looked at seems to require years of experience of driving with a trailer. How difficult is it to get a long haul trucking job in the UK if you only have experience driving rigid trucks? Is the competition for trucking jobs high in the UK?

What steps should I take to become a long haul truck driver in the UK? Would it be better for me to get experience with driving with trailers here before I come the UK? Is it easier to get a job driving a rigid truck than job driving with a trailer?

If you’ve got your licence, and it doesn’t matter too much where you live, have a look at Stobarts - stobartgroup.co.uk/careers/

They have a lot of vacancies available and despite the amount of vitriol spewed about them on here, at least they are offering jobs, driving generally good equipment, for what looks like average pay. You will have to do their induction, but if you’re reasonably conscientious, and prepared to do the work, they’re probably a good bet!

My advice would be dont bother coming to the uk we are close to full now no houses left either

So what’s happening with the haulage industry in Sweden or another EU country, ie Norway, Finland, Germany what so attractive about the UK :question: you might find that employers are somewhat sceptical, most prefer guys and gals over 25 due to insurance requirements.
Its alright having a Swedish HGV licence, but what experience have you had of driving on UK roads and do you have up to date DCPC

JJ192:
My advice would be dont bother coming to the uk we are close to full now no houses left either

Can’t even buy a Saab anymore

Hi theswede.I am English but have lived in Holland, Afghanistan and Canada and now live here.I assume you are wanting to relocate for romantic reasons as i cannot see any other reason for wanting to drive in the UK as a Swede.After living here in Lappland now for 6 yrs i would have to be dragged kicking and screaming from here to live anywhere in Europe again after having sampled the quality of life here.Mike

JJ192:

Hiya… there,s a house in North Wales for sale…Mine i’am of to Spain if i can sell up.
John

Hello. This is the best thread in months!

George Varney (bulk services) #1 driver is Swedish, they’ll definitely employ you even without experience. www.georgevarney.co.uk

PM:a mig om du har några frågor, jag had bott och jobbat här i nästan fem år.

theswede:
I am a 20 year old truck driver from sweden

:unamused: :unamused:

SwedishSteel:
Hello. This is the best thread in months!

George Varney (bulk services) #1 driver is Swedish, they’ll definitely employ you even without experience. georgevarney.co.uk

PM:a mig om du har några frågor, jag had bott och jobbat här i nästan fem år.

HUH #1 driver (really)

Hi The Swede,i used to live in Kista,Stockholm.
If you want European long haul try S& K Haulage at Barry South Wales.
They have UK only or Belgium home at week ends or weeks away European.
Or Ralph Davies International at Cheltenham, UK and some European.
Or try the agencies in the UK.

If you’re struggling to get a start in Sweden you’ll find it’s much the same here. Your age and lack of experience will limit the number of opportunities available to you. Unless you look like the blonde from Abba?

Hi all.I assume the guy has other reasons for going to the UK as it is not such a problem to get work as a young guy here.Especially up here in the far North where there is a shortage of people. many young guys are driving big mining trucks and big tractors\Wheel loaders, and there is always work especially from spring until autumn as the working season is short so a lot of work is done.If you are willing to work hard you can make enough to see you through the whole year.We have 2 guys working for us and they are direct from school.They drive Everything from 25mtr wagon and drags to snowploughs to cement trucks and seeing they only left school last June they don’t exactly have vast exerience.Also a lot of Swedes work in Norway.

hutpik:
Hi all.I assume the guy has other reasons for going to the UK as it is not such a problem to get work as a young guy here.Especially up here in the far North where there is a shortage of people. many young guys are driving big mining trucks and big tractors\Wheel loaders, and there is always work especially from spring until autumn as the working season is short so a lot of work is done.If you are willing to work hard you can make enough to see you through the whole year.We have 2 guys working for us and they are direct from school.They drive Everything from 25mtr wagon and drags to snowploughs to cement trucks and seeing they only left school last June they don’t exactly have vast exerience.Also a lot of Swedes work in Norway.

Yes I come from Kiruna(most northern town). I wouldn’t mind driving in the mining industry here for a while before I move, I know atleast 3 new mines that will open in and around my home town.

The reason I want to move the UK is that my siblings live there. So I have visited them many times and I like the country. And I want to try living in another country for a change… I can’t imagine living in my hometown for the rest of my life. The UK is so different.

Many young Swedes move the UK, espc London. I’ve heard that theres somewhere around 30k swedes who live in London alone.

Ring Andy Gee of Gees in Wakefield.Not the best trucks but a family firm and good old fashioned road haulage.
Or Knights of Old at Kettering take on new starts.
And Youngs transport.Then Maritime on containers.
Depots all over the UK.
Goldstar at Felixstowe docks,containers all over the UK.

Swampey2418:
So what’s happening with the haulage industry in Sweden or another EU country, ie Norway, Finland, Germany what so attractive about the UK :question: you might find that employers are somewhat sceptical, most prefer guys and gals over 25 due to insurance requirements.
Its alright having a Swedish HGV licence, but what experience have you had of driving on UK roads and do you have up to date DCPC

I have never driven in the UK. I know that can be a problem. But I’m thinking I’d take any sort of delivery truck driving job or maybe even a taxi driving job to get used to the traffic and driving on the other side of the road. Then maybe a rigid truck job… and then a long haul job with trailer. Gradual steps up would be my plan.

Hi theswede.I wish you all the luck in your move to the UK.On a personal note i have lived in London,Rotterdam ,Masar-i Sharif and Montreal.I could not now imagine living anywhere than here [KattÃ¥n,9 mil söder frÃ¥n Gällivare]I work through the summer and relax mostly through the winter.My situation is slightly different though being a ‘‘gammal gubbe’’ i have seen and done most things so now the ‘‘livstil and livskvalitet’’ here suits me.Anyway good luck.Mike