Swapping roles at home

My partner is about to take a night job to take me off the road for good. I’ll be at home looking after the kids while she goes and works. Seems like a good idea no cpc digital card renewals traffic visa etc etc to deal with and she will earn more than me. But what will I do during the day? Has anyone else done this thing? So far I worked out get up make breakfast and dump Jeremy Kyle on whilst washing machine wears away.

No seriously all she does now is stay in doing something but I was thinking more on the lines of working at home jobs which all seem to be scams… I have to pay them to work for them hmmmm.

Anything will be great I’ve never not worked since I was 16 sitting about doing nothing will be a killer.

Rather you than me mate. I’ve been on holidays for 2 weeks and I’m walking the walls. Luckily I have a Scotland run this afternoon. Good luck!!! :smiley:

Circumstances conspired to take me off the road and become a single dad a few years back. It all depends on how many children you have and their ages.
Stay away from daytime TV, it’s a rut you’ll easily slip into and struggle to get out of. Yes most of the ‘work from home’ schemes are cons. I’ve spent many hours over the last few years looking into ways to make money / set up my own company /work from home and always after much effort, concluded that you just won’t make enough money to survive (if your partners income is enough to survive on then it’s easier as your efforts will be beer money or pure profit rather than a means of survival). Try voluntary work and get yourself some hobbies. You’ll need to keep your mind and body active or you’ll go nuts!

Beware the fish wives at the school gates as well!

How old are the kids?have you got to take them to school or are they at home all day.If she is working you have got cleaning,cooking washing,shopping and the garden to do.I have done it and nomatter what you do it will never be right there will allways be something you should off done but have’nt.

Daughter is 6 and son is 3 he starts school in jan. Doing vaulanteer work sounds like a good idea. Because my partner will be working nights she will be sleeping during the day so will reduce what i can do obviously.

Im looking forward to it just hope i dont get stuck in the day time tv rut.

Cheers and anything else that anyone comes up with will be a help.

Danny27404:
But what will I do during the day?

Ebay and ■■■■ come to mind :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

iv the same problem but its down to that our work comes and goes… i recently joined a gym which i go to for 2hrs everday and then go food shopping etc… if i start my day at 10am im usual home by 3 but it does take the boardem out of the day and keeps you in shape…

Did it 16 years ago for 3 years.Which at the time for very rare. Same as you my wife had a better paid job, we couldnt warrant paying for childcare and we didnt want somebody else having them anyway, missing the first steps , smile etc. So i gave up full time work and went part time weekend driving. At times it was abit wearing and you do feel abit isolated from adult conversation , but on the whole a thoroughly enjoyable time. The kids were aged 3,2 and 18months when i started. Did all the playgroup and coffee morning routine, helping out at playgroups on the parent rota, sat playing with toys, singing nursery ryhmes.When the playgroups shut for holidays we,d go off for the day to the coast or dales with picnics . My wife used to get abit upset sometimes as she sometimes felt abit guilty,(i think it may have jealousy, as i was having a great time really). Inbetween the playgroup sessions id do all the cleaning and tidying up, feed the kids , when my wife walked in thered be a meal ready. Other blokes ive told have been, at first surprised ,then taken the ■■■■ ,then realised what they missed out on. Id say go for it you,ll find it hard sometimes ,but WILL look back with fond memorys. Even now the kids,well yoofs, still mention the days out and things we did back then.

What you will notice though, is that the most important thing you can spend on your children is time!
You’ll realize exactly what you miss when you’re out on the road for most of the week and what a lonely life it actually is. I soon realized that (at that time) of the 14 or so birthdays that my 4 children had collectively had, I’d only been present for 3 or 4 of them due to the job. Enjoy the parents evening, school plays, sitting down and reading with them, helping out with homework etc…

Derf:
What you will notice though, is that the most important thing you can spend on your children is time!

Spot on!

Any fella who says that being at home with the kids doing the house work is easier than going to work for the day is deluding himself, but the memories you will have of, not just watching them grow up but, taking part in their lives will be priceless - and you’ll not end up a bitter old git who wishes he had spent more time at home when they were young. :blush:

Stan

Danny27404:
Daughter is 6 and son is 3 he starts school in jan. Doing vaulanteer work sounds like a good idea. Because my partner will be working nights she will be sleeping during the day so will reduce what i can do obviously.

Im looking forward to it just hope i dont get stuck in the day time tv rut.

Cheers and anything else that anyone comes up with will be a help.

NO NO NO, she is a woman, she can work all night and wash and clean all day, you can get a job driving a taxi you will be loaded in no time :wink:

While there is indeed plenty of good advice above I don’t think the most important thing in this switch of duties has been covered yet. Yummy Mummy’s twice a day at the school gates. That’s all. :wink:

Coffeeholic:
While there is indeed plenty of good advice above I don’t think the most important thing in this switch of duties has been covered yet. Yummy Mummy’s twice a day at the school gates. That’s all. :wink:

Ah yes, ■■■■ heaven!!

When I saw the title to this thread thought it was going to be around ■■■■■■■! How wrong could I be! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :laughing:

While the kids are at school why don’t you start up a little gardening round?

You can drop off/pick up the kids and earn a bit of cash :wink: as well.

Will keep you occupied and plenty of fresh air to boot!!!

John.

bigvern1:
Rather you than me mate. I’ve been on holidays for 2 weeks and I’m walking the walls. Luckily I have a Scotland run this afternoon. Good luck!!! :smiley:

Seconded. You will climb the walls. I’ve been working from home for 3 years and I ■■■■ hate it. Its like being trapped in a cage. I would even go as far as saying I probably suffer from depression because of it. Certainly I’m more of a miserable ■■■■ than I used to be.

I’m even looking at going back to driving wagons again even though I really physically can’t.

Conor:
Certainly I’m more of a miserable [zb] than I used to be.

I find that very hard to believe. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry I couldn’t resist.

driverjohn:
While the kids are at school why don’t you start up a little gardening round?

You can drop off/pick up the kids and earn a bit of cash :wink: as well.

Will keep you occupied and plenty of fresh air to boot!!!

John.

My next door neighbour does something along these lines he is the women of the house but while the weans are at school he does a window cleaning round. Does most of the houses in the scheme dont think it would be enough to live off buts it s a good wee side earner plus its cash in hand

Although beware he fell of his ladder last year and was laid up so that is an occupational hazard to consider.

brados:

Danny27404:
But what will I do during the day?

Ebay and ■■■■ come to mind :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :lol:

You beat me to it lol