Swapping Merc for MAN am I mad?

I currently drive a 2016 Merc Actros tractor unit
But my firm has just got a New TGXXl MAN so the driver who’s having that is moving out of his 2015 TGX so I’ve asked to move in to that one
Am I mad or sane ?as my back cant take much more and I’m feed up of only having half a cup of tea !!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be fair…

Most of us here thought you were mad anyway. :smiley:

open goal i had to take it soz

A bit yes. The Actros is a way better truck than any MAN. But then its all opinion isn’t it? I just did the MAN seriously bland, especially the interior

Not sure if you mean the XXL cab, but if so give me that over the Actros any day.

robroy:
Not sure if you mean the XXL cab, but if so give me that over the Actros any day.

Yep one with windows in side of roof
I’m just getting standard Man sleeper , but looking forward to proper size lockers above dash again [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to drive one of those big cab XXL’s and it was pretty good to drive.

It’s a bit like which sandwich would you prefer, dog turd or cat jobby.

Wouldn’t touch either with a barge pole but not knowing anyone who enjoys driving a Merc the MAN might be an improvement.

robroy:

The XXL is what we’re getting starting off next week. Not be sad to see the back of the Actros tbh, in fact if they offered me my old shape 61 plate Actros back I’d bite their hands off.

You’ll appreciate being able to go up a hill without being overtaken by everyone even though you’ve got 600+ BHP. Quite how Merc manage to make a truck that goes up hills so badly I don’t know.

Conor:
You’ll appreciate being able to go up a hill without being overtaken by everyone even though you’ve got 600+ BHP. Quite how Merc manage to make a truck that goes up hills so badly I don’t know.

If you want to see the true performance of a Mercedes, just put Krakow Poland into the sat nav and hit drive… :laughing:

Is the 2015 on the new gearbox? If it is then it’s a bloody good truck, it’s plastic trim and fittings are cheap but functional it’s not as comfortable as a DAF but the 480 & 500 engines pull really well, if it is the older type gearbox then it can be a bit… special… at times, especially in those ‘can I go or can’t I’ roundabout moments, oh and if you come to a halt to let someone through but they’ve decided to stop and flash you through instead be prepared for the ‘wtf is he doing’ look as you sit there for a further 30 seconds with your right foot planted while the gearbox gets over its existential crisis and remembers what it’s actual purpose in life is, but all in all not really that much worse/different to the Merc auto.

I drive mostly 2017 TGS’s (narrower cab*) and the odd 2011 if none of the newer ones are available, and I’d take them over a Merc or Scania any day.

• Which brings me to my whinge of the day, wtf were MAN thinking when they designed/introduced the TGS? The cab is about 8 maybe 10 inches narrower than the TGX yet it’s only the actual cab that’s narrower, the wheelbase, front wheel arches and the airkit are all as wide as the TGX, so the only ‘benefit’ of the TGS is less room for the driver? It still takes up the same width on the road so makes no sense to me at all that one. And talking of the flared airkit it makes looking out the window at the trailer when reversing ■■■■ near impossible if you have the slightest of left hand kinks in it.

For those not familiar with the TGS here’s a pic off google > images.clickdealer.co.uk/vehicl … 461296.jpg

The MAN has a bit of the XF about it but with better brakes and handling nice smooth engine though sounds just like a ■■■■■■■■ although the inside of the Merc is better.

Anyone who has driven one of these will know all about slowness goo.gl/images/K7Cd8Q

NO…not mad…i prefer the MAN super dooper to the actross…Am I Mad… :smiley:

Reef:
Is the 2015 on the new gearbox? If it is then it’s a bloody good truck, it’s plastic trim and fittings are cheap but functional it’s not as comfortable as a DAF but the 480 & 500 engines pull really well, if it is the older type gearbox then it can be a bit… special… at times, especially in those ‘can I go or can’t I’ roundabout moments, oh and if you come to a halt to let someone through but they’ve decided to stop and flash you through instead be prepared for the ‘wtf is he doing’ look as you sit there for a further 30 seconds with your right foot planted while the gearbox gets over its existential crisis and remembers what it’s actual purpose in life is, but all in all not really that much worse/different to the Merc auto.

I drive mostly 2017 TGS’s (narrower cab*) and the odd 2011 if none of the newer ones are available, and I’d take them over a Merc or Scania any day.

• Which brings me to my whinge of the day, wtf were MAN thinking when they designed/introduced the TGS? The cab is about 8 maybe 10 inches narrower than the TGX yet it’s only the actual cab that’s narrower, the wheelbase, front wheel arches and the airkit are all as wide as the TGX, so the only ‘benefit’ of the TGS is less room for the driver? It still takes up the same width on the road so makes no sense to me at all that one. And talking of the flared airkit it makes looking out the window at the trailer when reversing ■■■■ near impossible if you have the slightest of left hand kinks in it.

For those not familiar with the TGS here’s a pic off google > images.clickdealer.co.uk/vehicl … 461296.jpg

The 2015 model will not have the new gearbox. I had a 65 plate and that was like trying to negotiate with the EU when it came to deciding what gear it wanted. Many a time I’d plant my foot for nothing to happen. That being said, motorway driving was lovely and smooth, it doesn’t wallow as much as you’d expect. The 440 engine I had was woefully under-powered if you were at max weight though, thankfully I had full control over the gearbox so I got use the gears to try and mitigate some of the effects. The newer models we started to get are much better on fuel compared to the 15’s and 65’s. I don’t know if its because these are 460’s but my mate in a 17 plate was regularly getting 10.5 to 11.5+ MPG where as I’d struggle to make 9.2 carrying roughly the same stuff.

The interior is bland but functional. The bed is the best thing about the truck and its leaps and bounds ahead of the other makes. The fridge however isn’t, it gets the space down in the cab and its quite frankly annoying. The latest 2018 models have gone back to having the fridge in a drawer under the bed like it should of always been. The sound system is amazing, massively superior to anything else on the market that I know of, the seat as well is pretty dam good aside from a really annoying tab that sticks out on the front of the seat.

Out of the two, I’d vote for the MAN. Once you get a handle on its gearbox shenanigans, they really aren’t that bad.

A 480horse XXL MAN will simply destroy 2545 Merc Actros on pulling power,
Not much will pass my 480 fully freighted 500horse or less standard!!!

I don’t mind my 2017 TGX and like the big cab although would say the MP4 Actros is a better quality finish inside the cab.
Merc gearbox prob better too than the
AS-tronic in mine although you do get used to its “foibles”!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Reef:

As with many other automatic transmissions, the “trick” is to tell the computer in charge of the gearbox that you’ve actually stopped so it is ready and waiting to do a “standing start” rather than faffing about wondering whether to pull away from a standstill or take up the drive on the roll. If you’ve come to a halt (even for a fraction of a second) get the handbrake on. Even a quick partial application before you’ve actually come to a full stop may be enough to fool the computer…

I drove a 64 plate merc,worst motor I ever drove,do not like them one bit

I don’t like either the merc or the MAN but I would take the merc over the MAN

the maoster:

robroy:

The XXL is what we’re getting starting off next week. Not be sad to see the back of the Actros tbh, in fact if they offered me my old shape 61 plate Actros back I’d bite their hands off.

Excellent cab for living in Maost, I’ve had about 4 of them in past jobs, loads of room,…(ideal for ‘‘parties’’ in Durham. :wink: :laughing: )

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: