Swapping a Cigarette Socket for a Hella

Hi,
Is there such a thing as an adapter plate to allow a smaller Hella socket to fit into a hole that a cigarette socket has come out of? I have managed to melt the insides of the 24v on the dash with the kettle!
Thanks

phill79:
I have managed to melt the insides of the 24v on the dash with the kettle!

I’m surprised you haven’t burned the truck to the ground, as kettles tend to draw too much power

peirre:

phill79:

I’m surprised you haven’t burned the truck to the ground, as kettles tend to draw too much power

You would be ok as Dozy had a fire extiguisher!

peirre:

phill79:

Indeed!

Hope you haven`t replaced the fuse with one of a higher rating? If the dash is melting then how hot is the wiring out of sight, under the dash?

I think the melting dash is not your biggest problem. Your gonna need a new mirror as wel.

Hella VOR truck. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just leave the flap down on the cig lighter, drill a new hole next to it and fit the hella plug using the wires from the cig plug, it wont be the draw from the kettle thats shorted it out it will be the badly fitting cig plug

chaversdad:
Just leave the flap down on the cig lighter, drill a new hole next to it and fit the hella plug using the wires from the cig plug, it wont be the draw from the kettle thats shorted it out it will be the badly fitting cig plug

You might want to check the kettle’s amp rating, and the cig lighter amp rating before offering such expert advice.

(My expert advice would be to ditch the useless electric ‘kettle’, and invest in a small gas cooker and proper kettle )

the nodding donkey:

chaversdad:

You might want to check the kettle’s amp rating, and the cig lighter amp rating before offering such expert advice.

(My expert advice would be to ditch the useless electric ‘kettle’, and invest in a small gas cooker and proper kettle )

+1 those kettles are rubbish :angry:

tango boy:

the nodding donkey:

chaversdad:

+2 the gas route is far better

switchlogic:

tango boy:

the nodding donkey:

chaversdad:

+3 and you can do bacon :grimacing:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
+3 and you can do bacon :grimacing:
[/quote]
Oh, thats it… now you’ll start switchlogic off… :grimacing:

Yeah, but the spitting fat from the bacon means your tasseled up curtains will pong. So my question is: can you run a washing machine off the cig lighter socket and how long a hose will I need to feed water in from the tap in the toilets?

Gas kettle is no good for making a drink on the move though is it. :bulb:

Cue the shocked goody goody ner do wrongs. :smiley:

robroy:
Gas kettle is no good for making a drink on the move though is it.

Cue the people who say you can! :smiley:

Electric oven run off cig lighter for the beef. Gas stove for boiling the spuds. And a fridge for the wine. Obviously youd stop before drinking the wine tho, dont wanna take risks do we?

Depends what you buy, my weaco 24v kettle is 7 yrs old and still boils up in 5 minutes

Had a similar problem some years back when using a kettle. Our workshop did this: simply took a 24v feed direct from the batteries, and installed an in line fuse. But it had some kind of warning bleeper, a bit like an inverter has, to warn you if battery level was dropping below the amount required to start the truck.

On that particular day, I’d put my card in and was doing the checks. When I came to start up, the batteries were low and the tacho threw up an infringement saying " power interruption". So always start engine before inserting card.

chaversdad:
Depends what you buy, my weaco 24v kettle is 7 yrs old and still boils up in 5 minutes

Are you a bit like Trigger, same kettle but had 4 leads and 5 cigar lighter ends lol