Swaping a US CDL for a Canadian one?

Hello all, I am new to this fourm. Im origanly from Ireland now working in England on low-loader/ Heavy haulage work. I’ve been thinking about moving to Canada for a long time now. In 2010 I drove a truck on the harvest run from Texas to Canada.

I’ve got a Class A Minnesota CDL with Doubles/Triples and was wondering has anyone on here ever swapped a US CDL for a Canadian Class 1?

Also when you get PR is it possible to move Provence?

Has any one on here ever done the harvest run and then gone straight into Canada?

Thanks, Michael.

Yeah, Allicat did … then got deported :laughing:

yup ,there is someone on the forum that has done the swap.
Even on the harvest run and you want to come to Canada you still need a LMO,Twp etc.
and it was a ND to a Minnesota licence to MB> one.
will let him know if i catch him.
jimmy.

Thanks for the Info Jimbo. I was going to do another harvest run and then go to Canada I think a TWP can be sorted at the border.

mind you need a job set up in Canada before you pick up a TWP at border.

Mick 320:
Thanks for the Info Jimbo. I was going to do another harvest run and then go to Canada I think a TWP can be sorted at the border.

Hello Mick, the answer is yes. I’ve done the very thing you asked and as Jimmy says ND - MN - MB. The thing is, I think your CDL has to be valid. My ND CDL expired 2011 along with my H2a visa but I went back to the US last year while waiting for my LMO to come through and I swapped the expired ND CDL for a MN CDL (I just had to do the MN knowledge test). Once the LMO came through it was an easy task to swap it for a MB class 1, all I needed was my work permit and MB medical card and that was all.

Thanks for the info Sats. My CDL is reads valid until June 2014. I might even be able to switch it without doing the harvest again.
Have you ever here of a company called Vandaele seeds/logistics or Flying Eagle Transport? They are both out of Manitoba and I think they do the LMO thing. Did you do the Harvest run aswell?

I think you will find a few Flying eagle drivers on here… :stuck_out_tongue:
lol …thought ya would be away to work today sats …
jimmy

I work for flying eagle they have quite a few European drivers. Don’t know if they have available lmo at the moment give them a call.

Mick 320:
Thanks for the info Sats. My CDL is reads valid until June 2014. I might even be able to switch it without doing the harvest again.
Have you ever here of a company called Vandaele seeds/logistics or Flying Eagle Transport? They are both out of Manitoba and I think they do the LMO thing. Did you do the Harvest run aswell?

Yes Mick, I did the harvest run 2011 it was a great experience I worked for the Altendorfs. Last year I worked for a construction company in Minnesota, though that was a H2b visa. Who did you run with?

I’ve heard of both those companies, actually I applied to Vandaele seeds last year because I thought GDT (the company I work for) wasn’t going to get the LMO. Vandaele Seeds are based in rural South West MB where as Flying Eagle are in the city, so I suppose that’s something you’d need to think about and where you’d prefer to live.

As for your CDL, if it’s valid then you’ve no worries just get your lmo, work permit and exchange it mate. They’ll take your CDL of you and send it back to Minnesota.

JIMBO47:
I think you will find a few Flying eagle drivers on here… :stuck_out_tongue:
lol …thought ya would be away to work today sats …
jimmy

Nah Jimmy, heading out Monday morning down to Oklahoma for Wednesday delivery. :slight_smile:

Well Sats, I worked for Rob Holland out of Litchfield, MN, a great man to work for and an amazing experance from start to finish. You done well to find someone to get you a visa on construction work in the US.
I heard of Altendorfs alright their one of the larger crews. Did you sort your Canadian visa while working in the US?
Do you like the Long Haul over there?

kr79:
I work for flying eagle they have quite a few European drivers. Don’t know if they have available lmo at the moment give them a call.

Thanks for the reply. I remember seeing one of their Stepdeck’s in the US when I there. Smart looking trucks.

Mick 320:
I worked for Rob Holland out of Litchfield, MN, a great man to work for and an amazing experance from start to finish. You done well to find someone to get you a visa on construction work in the US.
I heard of Altendorfs alright their one of the larger crews. Did you sort your Canadian visa while working in the US?

When I finished the harvest run at the end of 2011, I went up to Manitoba and Jimmy helped set up an interview with GDT (similar work to Vandaele and harvest). GDT applied for the lmo and I went back home to Belfast and waited. I then went back to the US last April to work for the construction company while still waiting for the lmo. Finally in June I got the lmo and that was that, I headed back up to Manitoba exchanged my CDL and started work the next day. :slight_smile:

Mick 320:
Do you like the Long Haul over there?

Yes Mick, it’s easy doing the miles here as I’m sure you well aware, but if I’m honest, I’ve more North American trucking experience than back home. :wink:

sats72:

Mick 320:
I worked for Rob Holland out of Litchfield, MN, a great man to work for and an amazing experance from start to finish. You done well to find someone to get you a visa on construction work in the US.

When I finished the harvest run at the end of 2011, I went up to Manitoba and Jimmy helped set up an interview with GDT (similar work to Vandaele and harvest). GDT applied for the lmo and I went back home to Belfast and waited. I then went back to the US last April to work for the construction company while still waiting for the lmo. Finally in June I got the lmo and that was that, I headed back up to Manitoba exchanged my CDL and started work the next day. :slight_smile:

Nice one Sats, thanks for the lowdown.