Swains Rochester

The above seem to be recruiting a lot of drivers at the moment have they picked up some work or having trouble keeping drivers i wonder ?

its one of those firms you don’t hear much about good or bad. Seem to be buying a lot of firms out over last few years

Their website under the category careers tells you what they may on average earn etc no better than anywhere else.

They have got some propper sheds i know that,their idea of a new fleet is buying a cart load of stobart r series cast offs,i over took one of their lorrys last week and ive seen cleaner tramps,driving with a ■■■ hung out of his gob ,a black hivis and a grey beard,the cf unit was not good enough to be a shunter,bad image :cry: :cry: :unamused:

I had an interview there 2 years ago and from what i remember the pay structure was made up of all sorts dark money waiting time rate all sorts that’s why i turned it down but your right the motors are old and look knacked but if the money was right that wouldn’t have bothered me to much i prefer an hourly rate plain and simple

Swains are a bit “old school” and I would imagine the problem they are facing is that a lot of their drivers are getting to retirement age now.

They must do alot of different types of work,the ones ive seen have got chains,straps,tarps,ladders,bread trays and anything else they can get on the unit.

seth 70:
They must do alot of different types of work,the ones ive seen have got chains,straps,tarps,ladders,bread trays and anything else they can get on the unit.

That was partly why i applied the wide range of work that general haulage offers gives you experience in a wide range of activity’s

bjd:

seth 70:

That was partly why i applied the wide range of work that general haulage offers gives you experience in a wide range of activity’s

You dont mind getting dirty and graft then,not many like you left,fair play m8 :wink:

Started many years ago with Stan Gunn so no fella don’t mind a bit of graft ,bit of hard work never hurt anyone as me dad used to say

seth 70:
They have got some propper sheds i know that,their idea of a new fleet is buying a cart load of stobart r series cast offs,i over took one of their lorrys last week and ive seen cleaner tramps,driving with a ■■■ hung out of his gob ,a black hivis and a grey beard,the cf unit was not good enough to be a shunter,bad image :cry: :cry: :unamused:

Careful what you say seth!!
I dared say that their motors werent the best around, and a bloke who works there took offence :unamused: :grimacing: :grimacing:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95485&p=1419437&hilit=swain#p1419437

kindle530:

seth 70:

Careful what you say seth!!
I dared say that their motors werent the best around, and a bloke who works there took offence :unamused: :grimacing: :grimacing:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95485&p=1419437&hilit=swain#p1419437

Im not right on alot of things kindle ,but im right on this one,their ministry magnets m8,even on one of switchlogics videos he sees a swains in spain or somewhere hot,and he comments on the driver has still got his hivis on :laughing: :laughing: shabby motors,i put a topic on tnet months ago about sheds for motors ,it was them who got me thinking about the subject.

class! :smiley: :smiley:

In there difference i have been told that although they don’t look the best there up straight and looked after mechanically

It’s possible that Swains is all things to all drivers.

They always seem to have plenty of younger drivers there, which implies that they’ll actually bother taking the younguns on, and training them up in all the general haulage skills…

Now time has moved on though, those drivers now in their 30’s with some decent experience under their belt have perhaps decided it’s now time to fly the nest?

I only went into Swains, Rochester once on agency - they very rarely book any agency cover it seems.
I found the transport office to be falling over backwards polite to me from the start, and therefore I’d recommend this firm to a 20-something who’s not had their licence long.
The pay isn’t as good as you can get elsewhere - but money isn’t everything, especially if you’re young - right?

Yeah i would agree there when i had my interview they where polite and seemed to be genuinely interested in me i got the impression that they where ok in that respect