Sutton Bank in an artic?

As others have said, loow,gear and constant throttle, use to go up and down it regularly in a rigid, been up couple times in artic, engage correct gear and go, DONT use auto…

If in doubt don’t go that way.Its not big and not clever if you get it wrong, once saw a Morrison’s lorry, back doors wide open, cages all over the place, think he forgot his load loc bars.

It’s an old post but we were up that way for new year, one minute it is impassable with snow and ice, the next it is ■■■■ wet through and slippery. You can’t see what’s coming up or down and using a mountain pass in Norway or Spain won’t get you to Sutton under Whitestonecliffe or Helmsley any quicker

After we tipped morrisons Stockton I always went up Sutton bank to Malton , never had any issues , and never felt the need to stop and look who was comming down or need to ring anyone to see if it was ok :unamused: and 99.9 % go on about the standard of my driving :exclamation: :exclamation: , mind why am I suprised as 99.9% on here ■■■■ themselves as the mention of London or a blind side reverse :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: it’s a bloody
Hill that’s all , a bloody hill :unamused:

Provide you don’t meet someone when you are going up it is not a problem,if you do and you have roll cages and you have to stop or make a bad change they are out the back,but I am only talking about normal drivers not super drivers,and before anybody starts to say that Dennis and I are, I can assure you that what we don’t know about transport you could fill at least three books and there will be many a person to back that up. I have just had a slap of the matron for being cheeky. Joepipe

What’s the gradient where you turn right onto the a52…when coming from stoke to couldon low?
Nearly came a cropper on there with max weight of tyre chip.
Forking tipper stopped me on the right hand bend near the top.
Closest i’ve actually come to soiling myself

The main problem as previously mentioned is traction. All modern motors have more than enough horsepower to get up there. Instead of blaming fellow drivers how about suggesting the road be resurfaced? This hill and the one on the A166 York to Beverley is polished so smooth that any damp on there and its so easy to get stuck if your momentum is lost…andthat hairpin wwill certainly lose you momentum! There’s just no grip on there.
Not our fault this time.

commonrail:
What’s the gradient where you turn right onto the a52…when coming from stoke to couldon low?
Nearly came a cropper on there with max weight of tyre chip.
Forking tipper stopped me on the right hand bend near the top.
Closest i’ve actually come to soiling myself

That’s Froggall bank , a tad on the steep side . Years ago Blue circle at Cauldon Low banned their lorries off it and ’
, there weren’t many lorries then that could get up it loaded , the hairpin was too much .

Yup…that’s the one.
I did wonder why all the other quarry traffic went straight on :blush:

I got stuck on blue bank once in a loaded artic. Unit was an old knacker mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long as not towing a caravan your fine. Sign says no caravans.
I’ve been over there few times last time was about 4 months ago in my new daf automatic. Last daf was a manual. This stupid automatic thought was never Gona make it up over the top

been up that many years ago in a loaded ridgid 4 wheeler just use common sence and take all the road you need on the hairpin eyes open brain in gear allow for numpties comming the other direction

The road leading down to Applecross can be a bit of a tester at times, also the Beriedale Brae …

raymundo:
The road leading down to Applecross can be a bit of a tester at times, also the Beriedale Brae …

That being the road that has on the sign unsuitable for learner or inexperienced drivers. Or words to that effect.

DickyNick:

raymundo:

That being the road that has on the sign unsuitable for learner or inexperienced drivers. Or words to that effect.

The notice is there due to the numpties following the satnav to the caravan site in Applecross . The long way round via Shiedaig is about 40 miles .

warningsign2016-450.jpg

What a lovely road Applecross is.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

P Stoff:
What a lovely road Applecross is.

Done it a fair few times in a 4 wheeler when on for the Co-op out of Dalcross, summer time was best with all the tourists :open_mouth: :grimacing:

I’ve been up Sutton Bank with a full load of packaging on my back. Very slowly.

You’re all doing it wrong!
It needs to be attacked like this

youtu.be/L2W0wymoLUQ

Stussy:
You’re all doing it wrong!
It needs to be attacked like this

youtu.be/L2W0wymoLUQ

I like how he opens the door while driving so he can stick his body out the door while still holding the wheel just so he can better chat with the other driver.
I think if that happened in the UK the traffic cops would not know what to do first and just explode.