Sutton Bank in an artic?

stevieboy308:

Radar19:
It seems that its the traffic heading down the hill that is the problem. Cars not giving way etc.

It’s not just the hairpin, i think the bit before it is the worst bit, it stays damp and greasy because of the trees too, I’ve seen empty artic’s stuck on that bit

Yeh it all goes down to making the call on the day, depending on conditions, weight, and all the rest of it.
I would imagine that is exactly the idea and purpose of the signs,…make the call on the day, but some make the wrong decision, as I did that day admittedlly, I really thought she would go up, but it just wouldn’t, and I have a bit of experience embarrassingly, so a new driver would be worse or just as bad I reckon.
As for the alternative, it’s a bit of a runaround going via York ring road, or coming from north there is a B road.

shutterstock.com/image-phot … AAq3w-1-15

Whats the chances of Eddie making it through here? Top of the mountain pass Sa Colobra…

Been up and down Sa Calobra in a 12 metre coach in the 70’s. My sister was a tour guide for Thomson’s holidays on the Island for 30yrs and whenever I went out there I went on all the holiday-maker tours for free :smiley:
Some of the driver’s made it even more scary for the passengers by shunting on the hairpins and having about six rows of seats hanging over the sheer drops.

Also, when I was on for Duke’s in the 80’s used to use Sutton Bank regularly because of delivery’s in Helmsley and Thirsk but I always tried to get Helmsley done first and go down rather than up but as robroy says you make the call on the day and IMHO if you don’t challenge yourself on these kind of roads you’re never going to learn anything.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Here’s the official thinking on HGVs and Sutton Bank.

Regards. John.

davepenn54:
Been up and down Sa Calobra in a 12 metre coach in the 70’s. My sister was a tour guide for Thomson’s holidays on the Island for 30yrs and whenever I went out there I went on all the holiday-maker tours for free :smiley:
Some of the driver’s made it even more scary for the passengers by shunting on the hairpins and having about six rows of seats hanging over the sheer drops.

Also, when I was on for Duke’s in the 80’s used to use Sutton Bank regularly because of delivery’s in Helmsley and Thirsk but I always tried to get Helmsley done first and go down rather than up but as robroy says you make the call on the day and IMHO if you don’t challenge yourself on these kind of roads you’re never going to learn anything.

Regards
Dave Penn;

A lot of the coach drivers still have to take a shunt on some of the hairpins and as you say some rows of seats are over the edge :grimacing:
That bottling plant halfway up is something else…only in Spain… :wink:

This was in the local paper last summer. yorkpress.co.uk/news/1469723 … r_repairs/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFC999:
Good point well made Rustler ! How you doin ?
Stevebarnsleytrucker , I too have been up and down in both arctics and rigids but can’t actually remember goin up in empty artic. The bend is the thing, whichever way you go let us know won’t you ?
I was going to Felixkirk today and the sign said " 47 incidents so far this year "
Good luck

Howdy stranger … I’m doing OK thanks … only work part- time now … had to come off “tramping” so I can be home to keep an eye on my 97yr old Mother … She stopped driving at 95yr old, so I have to take her shopping etc.
How are you doing … are you still on for “you know who” with the “orange trucks” ?
I don’t come on here as much these days … not seen you on here as much either :laughing:

The Rustler:

JFC999:
Good point well made Rustler ! How you doin ?
Stevebarnsleytrucker , I too have been up and down in both arctics and rigids but can’t actually remember goin up in empty artic. The bend is the thing, whichever way you go let us know won’t you ?
I was going to Felixkirk today and the sign said " 47 incidents so far this year "
Good luck

Howdy stranger … I’m doing OK thanks … only work part- time now … had to come off “tramping” so I can be home to keep an eye on my 97yr old Mother … She stopped driving at 95yr old, so I have to take her shopping etc.
How are you doing … are you still on for “you know who” with the “orange trucks” ?
I don’t come on here as much these days … not seen you on here as much either :laughing:

I’m fine Rustler and yes still with the orange things , skips and bins now, it suits.
Jim
Steve arnsleytrucker the original poster on this , your silence is deafening !
Which way did you go ?
Jim

JFC999:
Steve Barnsleytrucker the original poster on this , your silence is deafening !
Which way did you go ?

He’s still trying to get up.

robroy:

JFC999:
Which way did you go ?

Or down!! :blush:

robroy:

JFC999:
Which way did you go ?

He’s probably met dozy half way up

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. Ain’t been on over the weekend as I’ve been away with the missus and bairn for some family time. Right regarding what did I do? I left it in the hands of our management back at the yard. If they told me to go up it I would, if they told me not to bother I would.
After 10 mins they got back to me and told me not to bother ( I wasn’t going to go and have a go on my own accord then risk all the grief and ■■■■ coming my way if I did get stuck) haulage these days is full of the blame culture and always seemed to be aimed towards us the drivers so I thought put it in the hands of the gaffer back at the yard then if they did tell me to go up it and I got stuck then I could turn around and tell them that it was them who told me to drive up it.
Oh well tin hat on time and waiting the grief from the super truckers on here towards me, so be it lads I don’t give 2 ■■■■■ tbh it’s all water off a ducks back. Maybe at some point I will probably go up it in my car and then think to myself " why didn’t I give it a go in the artic that day?" as it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be.

Is a 25% with a hairpin REALLY that difficult??

AndrewG:
Is a 25% with a hairpin REALLY that difficult??

Obviously, 100+ professional truck drivers get stuck on it every year.
Perhaps the office bod he spoke to was one of them 100+, and rather than lose face when the OP got up without trouble, told him to go the long way round.

Thanks for getting back to us Steve , until the next time , stand down Sutton bank warriors.
Jim

You big bunch of nancys, you should try the Stalheimskleiva, in a coach full of passengers, used to scare them s***less!

dangerousroads.org/europe/no … orway.html

Or maybe the Trollstigen. I love driving in Norway, though my little old VW camper struggled with Trollstigen!

IMG_7916.JPG

Yes, my ■■■■■ is enormous

Both the pictures of SaColobra and Switchlogics Norway is worlds apart from Sutton bank and surely must take a degree in incompetence to get stuck or roll back to the bottom ect on what is in comparison a short stretch of road with a hairpin bend…its hardly the Furka Pass… :unamused:

The hairpin bend is on the slope as well so who’s incompetence is it if the ■■■■■■■ thing loses traction when going round and up it?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
After 10 mins they got back to me and told me not to bother ( I wasn’t going to go and have a go on my own accord then risk all the grief and [zb] coming my way if I did get stuck) haulage these days is full of the blame culture and always seemed to be aimed towards us the drivers so I thought put it in the hands of the gaffer back at the yard then if they did tell me to go up it and I got stuck then I could turn around and tell them that it was them who told me to drive up it.
Oh well tin hat on time and waiting the grief from the super truckers on here towards me, so be it lads I don’t give 2 [zb] tbh it’s all water off a ducks back.

That has just reminded me of something I forgot.
Last year I had a trailer for Scarborough with a light load of composite panels on, it was ■■■■■■■ it down and I had already decided to avoid Sutton and go through York.
The boss rang me about something else and said ‘‘Oh I don’t suppose you are planning on going up Sutton are you’’ I just told him no, as it was wet.
Apparentlly one of the others had got stuck there a few weeks previous.

So no grief from me Steve…being a supertrucker. :laughing:

Stop at top or bottom look up or down and you can see it is clear if it is carry on ,not a problem. Joepipe