suspensions

I was talking to a guy today who said he had been caught using a mobile whilst driving.
He said he had had his HGV licence suspended for 3 weeks but was allowed to drive a car.,
I would have thought that if you have your licence suspended for an offence it will cover your whole licence and not just certain categories.
can anyone throw some light on this ■■?

You would only have your car licence suspended if the 3 points for using a phone took you to or over the 12 point barrier. However, the TC can suspend your LGV licence if he/she sees fit and as they deem ‘professional’ drivers should be held to a higher standard than regular motorists it is quite possible that he would have his truck licence suspended for a while.

There are often cases in the trade press of drivers having their LGV’s suspended by the TC for a variety of reasons, hour’s offences for instance. The TC cannot take your car licence from you, that is for the courts to do, as they deal with vocational licences.

You only have one licence so if you were banned for having 12 or more points or outright ie for speeding then you lose all entitlement to drive any vehicle. TC’s have the authority to suspend the LGV part of the licence but (as said) not the car part.

North West Traffic Commissioner Beverley Bell. She told delegates to the ATS Euromaster-sponsored event. “More and more CV drivers appear to be spending time on hand-held mobile phones, chatting away as if they are completely invisible. If you are using your hand-held mobile phone while driving you can look forward to a minimum 14-day suspension of your licence.”

Wheel Nut:

North West Traffic Commissioner Beverley Bell. She told delegates to the ATS Euromaster-sponsored event. “More and more CV drivers appear to be spending time on hand-held mobile phones, chatting away as if they are completely invisible. If you are using your hand-held mobile phone while driving you can look forward to a minimum 14-day suspension of your licence.”

that should be put on all notice boards at firms,might stop a few people using them if they think there going to lose wages as well as a fine & points.
might have stopped the ‘petty of leeds’ driver coming out stourton container base on tuesday,trying to right at a junction,in a manual wagon,while trying to hold & use his phone!! :unamused: :unamused:

I was convinced this thread was going to involve pictures of burst air bellows and load sensing valves :laughing:

This happened to one off our drivers last week!
He got a 2 week suspended licence from the traffic commisioner,
as mentioned it was only his HGV that was suspended not his normal licence .

Wheel Nut:
I was convinced this thread was going to involve pictures of burst air bellows and load sensing valves :laughing:

:open_mouth:

Ones vices come in many forms :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: