suspension

hi all,
I can’t seem to get the hang of the search facility on here, i wonder if someone can help. I was just lookin for a bit of information in the archives on adjusting truck suspensions and in particular a picture of the control panel explaning what each button does. thanks

depends what truck you are driving, but usually the buttons have a wee picture telling you what the buttons do next to them, the volvo one is the easieswt in my opinion,

tramp:
hi all,
I can’t seem to get the hang of the search facility on here, i wonder if someone can help. I was just lookin for a bit of information in the archives on adjusting truck suspensions and in particular a picture of the control panel explaning what each button does. thanks

macplaxton:
Suspension control pad:

Up arrow = raise
Down arrow = lower
M1 = 1st preset height
M2 = 2nd preset height
Red = stop
Green = self-level
Top middle activates/deactivates the pad, lights up one of the leds and allows the other buttons to be used.
or something like it…:blush: can’t really remember at the minute :confused:
Forgetting to self-level the suspension after coupling and you’ll see a light on the dash half the day :blush: (looks like a lorry with an arrow on the load bed diving forward, sorry about the picture quality)

Hope this helps.

thanks a lot rog. But on the first pic the top middle button show’s a lorry with an arrow. On some control panels i have since this picture ASWELL as other similar but slightly different pictures where the arrow is in different pictures - any clues about them?
also to summerise do you adjust the suspension when you have just loaded? in order the lift trailer a bit?
or is it after you have unloaded to lower the body?

also how did you dig that picture up? i can’t seem to find any “idiot’s guide” to this sort of stuff
thanks

tramp:
thanks a lot rog. But on the first pic the top middle button show’s a lorry with an arrow. On some control panels i have since this picture ASWELL as other similar but slightly different pictures where the arrow is in different pictures - any clues about them?
also to summerise do you adjust the suspension when you have just loaded? in order the lift trailer a bit?

also how did you dig that picture up? i can’t seem to find any “idiot’s guide” to this sort of stuff
thanks

not got pics for this so I’ll try to describe -

If arrow is horizontal and pointing in the forward direction of normal travel then that will set to ‘normal drivng’ suspension.

If arrow is vertical and pointing in the up direction then that will raise suspension.

If arrow is vertical and pointing in the down direction then that will lower suspension.

If arrow is vertical and pointing in the up & down direction at the rear of the truck pic then that will activate the raise or lower suspension options.

If arrow is vertical and pointing in the up & down direction in the middle of the truck pic then that will activate self levelling suspension which is useful when being loaded or unloaded as it keeps the truckbed flat - forkies like that :smiley:.

These may not be the same for every type but at least it gives you an idea.

In the picture the vehicle in question is fitted with rear air suspension hence the arrow at the back. If it had front air there would be a similar picture for the top left button with the arrow at the front. I think top right might be for air on a trailer but I could be wrong on that.

For example when I load /unload my 6 wheeler beaver tail, I will press the top middle button and a green LED comes on then I press M1 to lower the suspension to it’s lowest setting (that’s programmed to do it) when I have finished I hit the green button to return the suspension to travel height. Alternatively if going cross country round a rough site I’ll use M2 to jack the body right up to the max to save dragging the beaver tail.

I also used to dump the air and lower the suspension when loaded on a ferry to reduce the amount it rocked about.

some trucks have the tag axle or mid lift axle on there as well

press the one you want and then lower it or raise it when finished press green to reset then press the one you pressed first to turn it off

You can also raise/lower the suspension to ensure the rear of the truck is the same height as the loading bay (if applicable), so that goods are loaded/unloaded on the level, without having to be moved up/down a slope.

For some vehicles it can cause severe damage if you don’t level out the suspension before driving off in the truck, so it’s worth checking to ensure all all the alarms have cleared from the dashboard before commencing your journey :blush:

The suspension controls for many DAFs look broadly to the SCANIA control pad pictured in this thread.

ROG:

tramp:
hi all,

macplaxton:
Suspension control pad:

Up arrow = raise
Down arrow = lower
M1 = 1st preset height
M2 = 2nd preset height
Red = stop
Green = self-level
Top middle activates/deactivates the pad, lights up one of the leds and allows the other buttons to be used.
Forgetting to self-level the suspension after coupling and you’ll see a light on the dash half the day :blush: (looks like a lorry with an arrow on the load bed diving forward, sorry about the picture quality)

Hope this helps.

hi rog just thought you may like this pic

delboytwo:

ROG:

tramp:
hi all,

macplaxton:
Suspension control pad:

Up arrow = raise
Down arrow = lower
M1 = 1st preset height
M2 = 2nd preset height
Red = stop
Green = self-level

Hope this helps.

hi rog just thought you may like this pic

so in the last picture what do all the settings mean? i take it the top one is up or down(on both axles?!) but what are the other 2? cheers

tramp:

thanks

In my experience the only time you mess with this is if you want to level out with a loading bay, lower it to get under a low bridge or raise it to make out your not over loaded. Apart from that the computer will lower/raise it on it’s own if it’s switched off.
As far as what button does what, just press them all. Sooner or later you will press one that turns a light on. Press a few more to see what happens. When you’ve sorted that out you can give yourself a gold star. :smiley: :smiley:

All the ones that I’ve ever used have involved me playing with them to find out how they work - when stationary of course.

I love it when I get a truck with rear air, the self level makes it much easier to deal with roll cages at the side of the road. MAN’s and our Volvos have similar control pads to that Scania one.

Hi tramp

so in the last picture what do all the settings mean? i take it the top one is up or down(on both axles?!) but what are the other 2? cheers

hope it helps