Surprised a wannabe trucker

robthedog:

robroy:

switchlogic:
He sounds like he’s in for a dull life. I hope he wakes up before it’s too late. How much money you’ve earned is the last thing on your mind as you lay dying :wink: No ones dying thought has ever been ‘I wish I earned more’…trust me that’s one place I’ve been :smiley:

Tbf I did actually say to him ‘‘If you really want it go for it’’.and the money side only came out when he asked me.
I agree there is a hell of a lot to be said for doing a job of work that you enjoy, if you can get it, but by his tone, I assumed he needed a better wage to what he was on,.so I gave him a true account of the job, and I did say it could be enjoyable in the right work…he may have been single,.or have a wife and 6 kids, the conversation never got that far.

It must be great if somebody can do a job as a kind of hobby,.and not care too much about the money, I would love that myself, I have a list of dream ‘hobby jobs’ , but I sure as hell could not afford to live and provide on the wage that a couple of those jobs would pay.

In my opinion and in my own personal experience, people only work because they HAVE to, and the reason they have to is to basically live, achievable by making money, …but I ain’t saying anything that you don’t already know.j(

That is the reason the upper classes don’t work…because they don’t have to. :bulb:

You need to get on with Dozys
lot as he only does the job as a hobby and he’s minted that’s where your going wrong rob

:laughing: Oh aye I forgot about dozy’s hobby of putting himself through voluntary daily hardship. :smiley:
Endurance Test hobbies ain’t my thing, given the choice I’d go for stamp collecting or something. :laughing:

Fancy putting the man off of a well paid job with fantastic career opportunities

switchlogic:

robroy:
It must be great if somebody can do a job as a kind of hobby,.and not care too much about the money, I would love that myself, I have a list of dream ‘hobby jobs’ , but I sure as hell could not afford to live and provide on the wage that a couple of those jobs would pay.

That is the reason the upper classes don’t work…because they don’t have to. :bulb:

I’m at an extreme, I’ve never been bothered about money and frankly never been much good with it, which is why I’m on my arse now financially which will have to change. I am aware being in my 40’s and single is sort of a luxury in that regard, tho many would see that as very lonely it suits me. My Dad was a mechanic to around my age then a driver and much more switched on about money but we could see in his times when he’d changed jobs for money not desire, he became sadder really quickly. He was away a lot of our childhood but as I always say to people- a happy Dad around little is worth ten Dads around every day sad because they do a job they hate. He’s best friends with us kids now, always has been. Not many Dads seem to be able to say that. At the age many retire, 65 he’s just gone from 4 on 4 off to 6 on 2 off!

Don’t confuse the upper classes with those who made their own wealth. The richest people on earth these days made it themselves and very few of these billionaires ever stop working. Many work harder than ever.

If that suits you Luke, and you can manage, that’s all that matters, it doesn’t matter a ■■■■ what anybody else says or thinks.
As for your Dad changing jobs for money the secret is to get a well paid job that you like, it ticks every box,.and I’ve had a couple in the past myself, but they did not come without their down sides, as I missed a lot of my kids growing up, but as we discussed in the other thread, it was great when I could take them with me on their holidays for a bit of Dad bonding, we both enjoyed those times equally,.and we still reminisce about those days,…like your Dad,.I get on great with all of my grown up kids.

If your Dad wants to carry on working, good on him.
I reckon I will carry on after official retirement age, but not because I love the job, more of a means of maintaining a decent social life, both with mates, nd regular breaks and holidays with the Mrs,etc.
On the other hand if I could comfortably afford to retire I would do it tomorrow.

I understand your point about hard working entrepreneurs and the like, but I was specifically referring to the Upper Class ‘idle rich’ those guys do not HAVE to work.

Your comments did prompt me to make a talking video*. Behold my gormless face as you hear my words of great wisdom. Or don’t.

lorry-driver.com/2021/03/tru … s.html?m=1

I can hear the collective Trucknet sigh from here

robroy:
[

If that suits you Luke, and you can manage, that’s all that matters, it doesn’t matter a [zb] what anybody else says or thinks.
As for your Dad changing jobs for money the secret is to get a well paid job that you like, it ticks every box,.and I’ve had a couple in the past myself, but they did not come without their down sides, as I missed a lot of my kids growing up, but as we discussed in the other thread, it was great when I could take them with me on their holidays for a bit of Dad bonding, we both enjoyed those times equally,.and we still reminisce about those days,…like your Dad,.I get on great with all of my grown up kids.

If your Dad wants to carry on working, good on him.
I reckon I will carry on after official retirement age, but not because I love the job, more of a means of maintaining a decent social life, both with mates, nd regular breaks and holidays with the Mrs,etc.
On the other hand if I could comfortably afford to retire I would do it tomorrow.

I understand your point about hard working entrepreneurs and the like, but I was specifically referring to the Upper Class ‘idle rich’ those guys do not HAVE to work.

Yup that is the NUMBER ONE thing I always say to everyone, do what suits, don’t listen to the industry as it’s very negative. I just like to counter that a Dad who’s rarely around is seen as a bad Dad by many (not at all what you said I know was talking in general) when in my case and sounds like yours at least nothing could be further from the truth.

The one thing about Dad and I get from him is a VERY low boredom threshold! His longest job ever was Nolan’s, 6 years, mine Virginia at nearly 9 lengths which for most people would probably be one of their shorter jobs! I do often think it would have been so much easier if we didn’t have such over active brains pushing us around and could be content in a job more than 5 minutes. But then on the other end of scale my and Dads lives have been ridiculously fun and enjoyable

Upper Class to me actually looks like a horrible way of life!

switchlogic:

Really?
All the trappings of wealth, living in an expensive dream home, cars, women, money no object. go wherever you want to abroad, whenever you want to, and be beholding to or answering to nobody.
As long as you could keep a level head and not be off your ■■■■ on top end drugs all day and ■■■■ things up like a lot of em do, it sure as hell beats being working class to me anyway.

robroy:

switchlogic:

Really?
All the trappings of wealth, living in an expensive dream home, cars, women, money no object. go wherever you want to abroad, whenever you want to, and be beholding to or answering to nobody.
As long as you could keep a level head and not be off your ■■■■ on top end drugs all day and [zb] things up like a lot of em do, it sure as hell beats being working class to me anyway.

Hi Rob. I suspect Luke may spot at least one flaw in you argument in your reply to him :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Regards John.

robroy:

switchlogic:

Really?
As long as you could keep a level head and not be off your ■■■■ on top end drugs all day and [zb] things up like a lot of em do, it sure as hell beats being working class to me anyway.

Yup, would hate it. I’d take my life as is now over that any day. When everything comes easily and you can spend a life doing whatever you want what is there to look forward to. Anything can become normal and can get boring. When you can buy anything there’s no reason to appreciate it. Plus upper class families are trapped by their money, and they are very much beholden to others when it’s all about old money.

Nope, not for me

old 67:

robroy:

switchlogic:

Really?

Hi Rob. I suspect Luke may spot at least one flaw in you argument in your reply to him :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Regards John.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: More than one but that is the glaring one :smiley:

switchlogic:

old 67:

robroy:

switchlogic:

Really?

Regards John.

■■■■ and blast. I thought I’d got a " WHOOSH " out of you Luke, but alas you quickly recovered the situation :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

switchlogic:

old 67:

robroy:

switchlogic:

Really?

Regards John.

Really? :open_mouth:
I could have sworn you were into fast cars and hols abroad Luke. :laughing:

Harry Monk:
but then they don’t expect too much from me, normally a 10-11 hour day, 6-7 hours of which is spent watching Japanese ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ on the laptop.

[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

dozy:
Saturday [zb] night , no doubt running in Sunday , get a [zb] life .

Cheers doze,… but give me a chance mate, I’m still aspiring to be like you. :wink:

robroy:

dozy:
Saturday [zb] night , no doubt running in Sunday , get a [zb] life .

Cheers doze,… but give me a chance mate, I’m still aspiring to be like you. :wink:

Always baffled me why people put such importance on particular days of the week :smiley: I mean as truckers it’s not like any of us have any friends, let alone normal 9-5 Monday to Friday ones. :smiley:

Punchy Dan:
I’ve had no wages since 2004 .I’am allowed some pocket money now and again straight up I kid you not .
I don’t ask about money and I don’t speak to the accountant or look at paperwork I’ve no interest ,I know how many litres I use and what the rate is on the day life is simple that way .

The accountant, and manager that sits in the kitchen, knows how rich you are, she just tells you, to work harder, them shoes don’t come cheap… :smiley:

biggriffin:

Punchy Dan:
I’ve had no wages since 2004 .I’am allowed some pocket money now and again straight up I kid you not .
I don’t ask about money and I don’t speak to the accountant or look at paperwork I’ve no interest ,I know how many litres I use and what the rate is on the day life is simple that way .

The accountant, and manager that sits in the kitchen, knows how rich you are, she just tells you, to work harder, them shoes don’t come cheap… :smiley:

I have heard exactly the same and it was not shoes but a brand new Audi Q8!

Interestingly enough the mob I’m limping for have asked me if I’d be interested in crossing over to the Darkside and apply to work for them on the books, the only negative I can see in it is that it’s regular shifts spanning the weekend Thursday/Monday of Friday/Tuesday, instead of the Monday/Friday I’ve become used to. Although they say the weekend work is only for the summer months and is likely to resort to Monday/Friday.
Prior to lockdown I used to enjoy the weekend social life such as Saturday night down the pub watching a band, footy on the telly, Sunday lunch with the old boys down the local. But because of lockdown and the closure of these communal pastimes, the thought of working on a weekend doesn’t seem so daunting, loosing the ability to have more holidays and more weeks away at a time, when I want em is my main concern That takes me out my comfort zone

I do.a 4 on/3 off Wed to Saturday, but at least 2x over the last month it has ran over to Sunday am.
In the past I used to regularly finish anywhere between 10 am to about 2 pm on a Saturday which was fine, but for some reason things have changed lately.
Tbh I ain’t TOO bothered at the moment for the reasons you’ve pointed out, but when (or if) things get back to normal I too want the football afternoons in the pub.
My mate used to do Tues to Sat,.so there was always Sunday afternoons, but he has changed jobs now, so we need a re.think for weekends…

Amusing to see dozy thinks that I should get a life bye eh? :laughing:
Aye right, least said the better. :smiley: …but the irony eh? :laughing: :laughing:

pete smith:

biggriffin:

Punchy Dan:

I have heard exactly the same and it was not shoes but a brand new Audi Q8!

The Audi is not mine :open_mouth: mine is the Trek of which I did topside of 10 miles on last night from Clydebank to Dumbarton and back no pubs open though :unamused: but I did bring king prawn sweet sour n chow main noodles back :laughing:

robroy:
I could have sworn you were into fast cars and hols abroad Luke. :laughing:

Yeah not so much. Can’t beat a good rack though, good boobage is essential.