Surpriiiiiise!!!!!!!!

There I was, minding my own business, reading the paper, at 08.00 on friday morning, whilst waiting for a 09.00 tip on a Grimsby industrial estate road outside the deserted delivery address, when a car occupied by two Hi Viz jacketed males parked in front. One got out clutching a clip board close to his chest. He started to walk towards my unit.
His body language indicated he meant business, and it was me he wanted.
Now several things went through my mind in the few seconds it took him to reach the window.

High jackers :exclamation: (Hand on iron bar)
Wheel clampers :exclamation: :exclamation: (Ignition on ready to start engine, select reverse gear)
Local security :laughing: (excuse at the ready)
Jehova’s Witnesses :unamused: (ear defenders visibly located in case of need)
Life Insurance salesmen :unamused: :unamused: (All the above)
Perhaps even the owners of the goods inside the container :sunglasses: Quick tip, home early, maybe :smiley: :smiley: (Only in my dreams)
WRONG :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Good Morning driver, we are from the local VOSA test station (at this point he lowered his clip board to reveal the V.I. badge on his jacket, Surpriiiiiise!!!), and we are conducting some random safety checks on vehicles visiting the area this morning, and we would like to invite you to attend the test station at your earliest convenience.
(Oh goodee, I love surprise partys)
They took details and headed off to hunt down their next “guest”

The container unloaders appeared at 08.55, and then started what seemed to be the longest three hour tip in history, ever :exclamation:
Anyway, after the inspection all was needed was a new tyre on the trailer because of a small bulge, the replacement of which due anyway, and I was on my way.
I think they were happy because they had found something.
and I was happy because they gave me the chance to sort the problem at the tyre centre next door, and then lifted the temporary prohibition.
Only on a friday eh.

was it just a normal run of the mill car?

or one of the proper marked up jobbies?

jon

jonboy:
was it just a normal run of the mill car?

or one of the proper marked up jobbies?

jon

Just a normal Vectra, probably a personal vehicle belonging to the driver. I suspect they were on their way to work.

Talking of proper marked up VOSA jobbies, have you seen the VOSA west mids shiny new wheels. I saw them parked up as I passed the council depot they use for checks between J7-J8 on the M6, 2x Range Rovers and 1 Mitsubishi Shogun all in Black and Yellow VOSA livery.
No wonder they want to hike up the annual test fees.

I thought they were supposed to be using Ford Galaxies■■?

Alright! enoughs enough! maybe I have been away too long and have forgotten or maybe it is something thats been started since I left, but I can’t keep pretending to myself that I know who/what you are all talking about on this thread and other threads. The question that has been on my lips is…what the hell does VOSA stand for? I realise it is something to do with the ministry (or at least I think it is), but somebody tell me anyway, and what are their duties?

Thanks to whoever in advance :wink:

Cliff

Vehicle & Operator Services Agency - the big news is they’ve been given authority (limited at the mo, but expanding) to stop and check without police presence. Also they are supposed to have their own motors - Ford Galaxies supposedly in orange/yellow on back and yellow/black on sides.

They used to be just the VI and needed plod to stop a wagon

Jules

V=Very
O= orrible
S= s(ZB)ity
A=Asses

■■?

The Critic…the cynic more like :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jules

Hi Cliff,
VOSA stands for “Vehicle + Operator Services Agency”.Yes,it is the new name for the ministry.Basically, they have been re-named,with a lot more responsibilities in the U.K. than before.
Driving northbound on the M6 to-day,a car and caravan had lost a wheel on the hard shoulder.On approaching,two men were putting road cones out blocking off lane 1. Police? No. A 4 wheel drive vehicle with “Highways Agency” on the amber (not blue) beacon bar on the roof.
The men were using the same procedure of laying cones ( walking backwards taking cones off their arms ) as the police do.I wonder who trained them?.
Basically, a lot of pressure will be taken off the police with the mobile wheel tappers.
More responsibilities for VOSA?
More cups of tea for police men and higher taxes for U.K.citizens.

I hope this answers your question Cliff.

Regards - Niall.

Boots O’Lead:
Cliff

Vehicle & Operator Services Agency - the big news is they’ve been given authority (limited at the mo, but expanding) to stop and check without police presence. Also they are supposed to have their own motors - Ford Galaxies supposedly in orange/yellow on back and yellow/black on sides.

Jules

to the point that they havent got authority to stop and look at your vehicle as yet without police presents,so for you to go to the ministry for a check was not an order only a request,so would think your boss might not be to happy to get that temp prohibtion ■■?

Cheers for all the info Fellas, much appreciated :slight_smile: …I don’t feel quite so stupid now :blush: :laughing:

“Talking of proper marked up VOSA jobbies, have you seen the VOSA west mids shiny new wheels. I saw them parked up as I passed the council depot they use for checks between J7-J8 on the M6, 2x Range Rovers and 1 Mitsubishi Shogun all in Black and Yellow VOSA livery.
No wonder they want to hike up the annual test fees.”

Correct me if I’m wrong but the vehicles you seen are probably not VOSA vehicles, Yes they do use ford Galaxies,
I think you may have seen the new Highways agency Traffic Officers, They basically take over from the police with traffic management, e.g cleaning up after accidents.

Discopete:
“Talking of proper marked up VOSA jobbies, have you seen the VOSA west mids shiny new wheels. I saw them parked up as I passed the council depot they use for checks between J7-J8 on the M6, 2x Range Rovers and 1 Mitsubishi Shogun all in Black and Yellow VOSA livery.
No wonder they want to hike up the annual test fees.”

Correct me if I’m wrong but the vehicles you seen are probably not VOSA vehicles, Yes they do use ford Galaxies,
I think you may have seen the new Highways agency Traffic Officers, They basically take over from the police with traffic management, e.g cleaning up after accidents.

VOSA vehicles are deffo Galaxies arround here! you’ll see next time your at Scots corner! :open_mouth: …its where they have there dinner!

oddsodz:

Boots O’Lead:
Cliff

Jules

to the point that they havent got authority to stop and look at your vehicle as yet without police presents,so for you to go to the ministry for a check was not an order only a request,so would think your boss might not be to happy to get that temp prohibtion ■■?

The form that he wrote out and signed was definately an order, with the small print at the bottom warning that the person to which it was issued (me) who failed to comply with this order issued by the named examiner would be found guilty of an offence.
Whilst waiting to be tipped I got out my RHA handbook which stated that although a traffic examiner cannot stop a moving vehicle, he can order the person in charge of a stationary vehicle to attend a test site within a five mile radious. I think the bit about the stationary vehicle explains the reason why the examiner covered his badge until he revealed his identity, and why his driver parked right up to the front of my unit, they did’nt want to give me the chance to rumble them and drive off :smiling_imp:
As for the temporary prohibition, its my O licence, and my first ever PG9.
My explanation was that I had caught a deep curb whilst reversing into the premises after he had seen me, which he has noted on the paperwork.
The bulge was only just visible, and was the only thing they found wrong after a thorough going over, but I suppose they had to find something :unamused:

I think you may find that 5 forces have authorised VOSA to stop so far, the others are expected to follow within the year. I may be wrong, but it springs to mind.

Jules

Boots O’Lead:
I think you may find that 5 forces have authorised VOSA to stop so far, the others are expected to follow within the year. I may be wrong, but it springs to mind.

Jules

you are not wrong :slight_smile:

see these links from the Transport News Forum

http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2241
http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1839
http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=525