Supposed driver shortage again!

PinkLadyTrucker:
+1 (post by Wheelnut)

I posted a similar post to the Sun too Soapie :stuck_out_tongue:

no reply as yet though!

Some firms are so desperate for recruits they are offering to train them for free.

Really? Which firms are these?

Harry Monk:

Some firms are so desperate for recruits they are offering to train them for free.

Really? Which firms are these?

I had paid training for Class 2 in 2004! But it wasn’t free! The company wanted 12 months of my time in return! That was DTS Logistics before Clipper took them over! The last memorable firm I worked for! :wink:

The job has never been as good as it was then! :confused:

rubbish, excuse to get more foreigners in and do a bit of English bashing, and moan about our so called lazy youth…toss pots

Latest reply

I also sent the letter I posted re Asylum seekers in a earlier email to Jane

Thank you. I have spoken to the DWP and they say the vacancies are the
latest statistics from the Office of National Statistics and as such should
not be ‘doubles’ of agency jobs.
Are you looking for a permanent role or more agency work?
I’m afraid I can’t help with the letter below as it is not my remit but I
will pass to our news reporters if you are happy with me passing on your
details?

Kind regards

Jane

Jane Hamilton
Consumer Editor
The Sun
3 Thomas More Square
London E98 1XY

fuse:
rubbish, excuse to get more foreigners in and do a bit of English bashing, and moan about our so called lazy youth…toss pots

This^ +1 It’s the future! :unamused:

On radio 2 today Steve Wright was saying that there was a HGV driver shortage of 30.000 :open_mouth: ( obviously info he’s been given) and that unemployed people should look into getting their licences to get themselves back into work!!! :open_mouth:

John.

load of crap! There are no jobs in this area. Lots of training brokers though.

I’m getting cynical in my old age, but with the DCPC deadline fast approaching and still a very limited uptake, haulage companies, agencies, the govenment and those who rely on haulage are no doubt worried about the affect that a mass migration from the haulage industry might have on wages, even if regular driver do finally get thier DCPC, I’m sure there are plenty of part-time and semi-retirered drivers who are simply not going to bother.
They realise they need to encourage people to get thier licence and of course they have to get thier DCPC at the same time.
So get the Sun to run a story about drivers shortages and hopefully a few people will believe and in a belief of regular work and high wages they’ll go off and spend thier hard earned money on training before they realise they’ve made a big mistake.

I wouldnt believe the sun if it told me the sky was blue.

andi_cardiff:

ditto/ i would not dirty my hands with the rag.

Latest Reply

Hi Sophie-Jane

I can see why that’s a tough call, it must be really difficult to get driving work which fits around a family. I have two kids myself and although it’s in no way as arduous as driving, journalism is 24 hours these days so I do understand.
Do you only want driving work or are you happy to look at other jobs?
I’m waiting on the JCP to send a big list of firms who are hiring and will be sending this out to everyone who has enquired as soon as it comes through.
In the meantime, get back to me if I can help you in looking for any other line of work as well.

Thank you

Jane

Jane Hamilton
Consumer Editor
The Sun
3 Thomas More Square
London E98 1XY

JCP going to send out details, Lets see what cras they think up to justify these figures

Think we all agree there is no driver shortage is all make believe mostly agencys doing but training schools have their part to play aswell.

But i reckon a driver shortage could happen in the future all you need to do is look round you at any rdc waiting room id guess 60% hgv drivers are over 40.

my letter to jane, awaiting reply,

maybe we should all contact her and perhaps then they will look into properly and something can be done about agencies advertising for work that never seems to be available…

Dear Jane,

I am a qualified hgv driver and have been for some time, I really think that you should review an industry such as the haulage industry in far more detail before running a story on a driver shortage, I think what you will find is that many non existent jobs are advertised by agencies in order to have names on their register just in case a company needs drivers at short notice, there is certainly not 30,000 vacancies as stated.

I urge you to do a proper and full investigation on this, maybe you could use an undercover driver who can contact the relevant people or agencies who have these so called jobs available and see just how much work he actually gets and if he even gets a permanent well paid full time job offer from it. I have been in a situation when looking for work , especially up around london and the home counties and seen hundreds of jobs advertised by agencies , ive gone in to find out about them and had to register with the agency and be left waiting for a phone call for work, all they are after is names on the register, the jobs don’t actually exist…

running a story like this is an insult to the thousands of drivers who have already and are soon to be made redundant!

Thank you

What you have to remember is that the Sun make a large amount of money from the HGV driving school brokers who advertise in their newspaper, and so run a sop to them from time to time.

Who’s upset he who can’t be mentioned, on Facebook on this topic then? :open_mouth:

andi_cardiff:

idiot. everybody knows the sky is green. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

driver shortage ha ha where is all the jobs there is none just an excuse created by well you know who to get cheap foriegners in check out www.paracross . com 100eds of jobs on that site 8 pound an hr only thing is its for polish so called drivers to work over here so who needs us so called profesionals anymore

I cant believe my luck as according to the Sun ive over 1000 jobs to choose from locally, i just cant be looking in the right places!

jonnyjock:
driver shortage ha ha where is all the jobs there is none just an excuse created by well you know who to get cheap foriegners in check out paracross . com 100eds of jobs on that site 8 pound an hr only thing is its for polish so called drivers to work over here so who needs us so called profesionals anymore

CASE STUDY: LOGISTICS

The challenge

As most freight operators in the UK, DHL is struggling with attracting and retaining lorry drivers. In order to increase its competitiveness in a low margin business, DHL continuously engages in cost saving measures. The problem is not specific for DHL — the whole UK logistics industry faces a severe shortage of staff. While demand for transportation services is increasing, the ageing driver population and the difficulties for the industry to attract young people to a career as a lorry driver cause problems for freight operators.

Our proposal

Paracross, together with its UK-based partner Milestone, offered to recruit and train a team of Polish lorry drivers to operate within the DHL organisation. As a result of Poland’s accession to the EU, Polish lorry drivers have the right to practise their job in other EU countries, including the UK.

However, formal qualifications apart, there are other barriers: the English language, understanding of specific procedures and processes within DHL, and cultural elements.

To help the Paracross drivers overcome these barriers, Paracross’ teaching team, in close cooperation with DHL, developed a tailor-made training syllabus for the drivers: manuals were translated, paperwork examined and typical communication challenges mapped.

Following a rigorous selection process, including driving assessment, language tests and psychological tests, the successful candidates were invited to undergo a training programme on Paracross’ campus. After three weeks of intensive preparation, Paracross drives were sent to the UK for their first assignment with DHL.

The results

Results to date have been spectacular.

Admittedly, integrating successfully into a foreign organisation is bound to be associated with challenges: some of Paracross’ drivers and the DHL staff had to go out of their way to make everything work smoothly in the first weeks.

However, most drivers have settled in exceptionally well over time. DHL staff praise the Polish drivers ‘can-do’ attitude, work ethics and diligent paperwork. Most have overcome the language barrier very well and continue to develop. Those who need to improve their English skills are offered continuous training programmes by Paracross.

While in the UK, Paracross’ drivers are provided with a comprehensive welfare programme, where all accommodation, airport pick-up, translation services and administrative routines are taken care of.

Of the initial 36 drivers who were part of the first group to DHL, the vast majority are still working with DHL. Operational benefits and costs savings for DHL have been substantial.

Currently, the programme is undergoing significant growth and the aim is to have a fleet of several hundred drivers in the coming months.