Supervising D1 & C1 learners

Thanks to delboytwo who brought this to ny attention :slight_smile:

This is unlikely to affect trainers on here but may be useful info for some…

DSA press release

DSA Press release

Supervising in small lorries and minibuses
People who passed a car driving test before 1997 and want to supervise learners in some other categories of vehicle have until April 2010 to get the necessary new qualification.

The new rules apply to those who obtained their car licence before 1997 and who supervise learners in small lorries (category C1), minibuses (D1) or vehicle plus trailer combinations (C1+E or D1+E).

They have until 6 April next year to meet the relevant medical standards and pass the appropriate driving test if they want to continue supervising learners in those vehicles.

Drivers who passed before 1997 were given so-called “grandfather rights” to drive small lorries and minibuses. They will be able to continue driving these vehicles but will only be able to give tuition in them if they pass the test for the relevant category before 6 April 2010.

But drivers who do not pass the relevant driving test before then will have to wait three years from the date they do pass until they can supervise learner drivers.

Most instructors who provide professional training in driving small lorries and minibuses will not be affected by the change as they have already passed a driving test in a larger vehicle.

But a minority with ‘grandfather rights’ have been supervising learners without having the appropriate pass themselves.

Trevor Wedge, Great Britain’s Chief Driving Examiner, said: “In the interests of road safety, it is important that learners are supervised by people who have proved themselves capable of driving the vehicle in question.

“It was never the intention to allow learner drivers to be supervised on public roads unless they were with people who had proven experience of driving those vehicles."

10 July 2009

Hi Rog thanks for the credit, the one thing that is interesting in the quote is this bit

Drivers who passed before 1997 were given so-called “grandfather rights” to drive small lorries and minibuses. They will be able to continue driving these vehicles but will only be able to give tuition in them if they pass the test for the relevant category before 6 April 2010.

so if you only have a CI and you got it before 1997 you would have to take a test in a C1 truck to lean someone to drive that truck by 2010

last look at this, lets say a driver got is C1 as grandfather rights and worked for a parcel company and the boss asked him to teach a new driver who does not have a C1 as the firm as just got a new 7.5 ton truck that driver would have to take a test in a C1 truck to teach him and if he does not he loose the right to do it till he takes the test and not for 3 years.

i think training schools will be very busy soon cos of this

i know some time firm teach there drivers in house for C1 and use driver that have a C1 all ready

delboytwo:
i think training schools will be very busy soon cos of this

I doubt it as the C1 and C courses and test are virtually identical - most will go for C

i know some time firm teach there drivers in house for C1 and use driver that have a C! all ready

Not a problem provided the qualified driver has held his CAT C for 3 years :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

i know some time firm teach there drivers in house for C1 and use driver that have a C! all ready

Not a problem provided the qualified driver has held his CAT C for 3 years :laughing: :laughing:

From what is written in the DSA release it seems that a C holder who passed recently and has grandfather rights for C1 will be ok to supervise a C1 learner.

delboytwo:
so if you only have a CI and you got it before 1997 you would have to take a test in a C1 truck to lean someone to drive that truck by 2010

That’s how I read it too, however I didn’t think you could take a test in a category you already hold :confused: :smiley:

delboytwo:

mrpj:
That’s how I read it too, however I didn’t think you could take a test in a category you already hold :confused: :smiley:

That crossed my mind too but then I thought - if you did hold C1 by grandfather rights and needed to do a test then it would be more likely for that person to go for a C.

mrpj:

delboytwo:

there nothing stopping you from doing it if you need it for training drivers in house

ROG:

Peter Smythe:

From what is written in the DSA release it seems that a C holder who passed recently and has grandfather rights for C1 will be ok to supervise a C1 learner.

just to point out guys this bit in red was a typo should have been C1 will edit it :blush: