Supermarket fleets

Everybody has had threads on long gone hauliers - what about the lorries that retailers & supermarkets ran in the 70s/80s(& earlier) . In Northants we had Linnels/spa @ kings heath that ran D series , Greenshield stamps @ Daventry that ran D series , Tescos @ crick - leyland buffalos then F7s , MFI @ brackmills - DAF 2300s/2500s , Texas Homecare @ wellingboro - FL10s , Bookers @ wellingboro - FL10s , Milletts @ moulton pk - scanias , Sunblest @ kings heath - BMC FGs , Golden wonder crisps @ long buckby - D series & loads of others i cant remember :angry: :angry: Has anyone got any pics or more old names we’ve long forgotten about :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :question: :question: :question: :question: not just from Northants area :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

tonyhogi:
Everybody has had threads on long gone hauliers - what about the lorries that retailers & supermarkets ran in the 70s/80s(& earlier) . In Northants we had Linnels/spa @ kings heath that ran D series , Greenshield stamps @ Daventry that ran D series , Tescos @ crick - leyland buffalos then F7s , MFI @ brackmills - DAF 2300s/2500s , Texas Homecare @ wellingboro - FL10s , Bookers @ wellingboro - FL10s , Sunblest @ kings heath - BMC FGs , Golden wonder crisps @ long buckby - D series & loads of others i cant remember :angry: :angry: Has anyone got any pics or more old names we’ve long forgotten about :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :question: :question: :question: :question: not just from Northants area :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Well, some of the names are still familiar, but their fleets have changed! Remember when Asda was still Associated Dairies?

excellent pics 240 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: presume waltham abbey has now replaced buntingford sainsburys depot :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

tonyhogi:
excellent pics 240 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: presume waltham abbey has now replaced buntingford sainsburys depot :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

To be honest, I don’t know - I’ve been fortunate to have been out of grocery work for several years!

i had forgotten what the old asda livery looked like,good pics. :astonished: :astonished: :slight_smile:

Remember WM LOWs. ran a fleet of Leyland Roadtrains… Dark blue units and trailers with the name in red… Out of their Livingston Depot in the Houston Est …
Before Tesco took them over to get a foot in the door into Scotland.

Then if i remember it was Glass Glover Distrubution who took over the deliverys with there plain white Scania 82m’s and white trailers with the red stripe…

Did Fine Fare runs SEDDON ATKI’S ?.. and wot colour where they ? where they silver…■■

Fine Fare had orange units and the trailers were a pale orange/buff colour from memory. I recall them using Dodge 300 tractors as well as ERF’s and Seddon Atkinson 400’s. William Low was a big ERF user originally. Does anyone have any pic’s of the Laws fleet they took over when they bought out that chain?

Asda switched livery in the early/mid 70’s to plain white units with dark blue trailers with the Associated Dairies symbol in orange and white on the side. I remember seeing their trunkers a lot running up and down the A1 in East Lothian. They used Seddon Atkinson 400’s.

Oh, how times change :stuck_out_tongue:

A team of men will load the van with loaded roller pallets, keeping terminal times to a minimum

tonyhogi:
Has anyone got any pics or more old names we’ve long forgotten about :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :question: :question: :question: :question: not just from Northants area :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

William Jacksons of Derringham Street in Hull was a large grocers group, butchering, bakery, grocers and household goods.

Co-Op obviously.

Bluebird and Needlers Toffee

Wheel Nut:

A team of men will load the van with loaded roller pallets, keeping terminal times to a minimum

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s what i thought Malc.

Glass Glover Distribution was mentioned by mantga and here’s a couple of theirs on the Littlewoods contract.
No queueing or waiting for us lads, we tipped ourselves “on the key” overnight. :sunglasses:

Chris Webb:

Wheel Nut:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s what i thought Malc.

Glass Glover Distribution was mentioned by mantga and here’s a couple of theirs on the Littlewoods contract.
No queueing or waiting for us lads, we tipped ourselves “on the key” overnight. :sunglasses:

nice pics…

didnt have wagon and drags though up here…

Littlewoods and Glass Glover used to run Scania 82m’s out of the Livingston Rdc many moons ago… used to be a forkie in there in a past life… :smiley:

tonyhogi:

Waltham Abbey or Waltham Point and the Rye Park upgrade replaced Buntingford and Charlton I think. The Buntingford depot is still there albeit unused.
Both good in their day for the shorter vehicles, their use was seriously curtailed by the longer trailers I should imagine.
I remember those Atki’s belting up and down the A10, never took any prisoners when it came to getting over a tad on the narrower bits of road!

Two slight variations of the Gateway livery taken in the 1980,s

how about transhield / m+s
and bejam foods,and international,think they were called,kearly +tongue or something like that

park your wagon on your sheets and your bed on your boots

trunkera1:
and bejam foods,and international,think they were called,kearly +tongue or something like that

Wasn’t G.L.Baker,a London based company the forerunner of BOC Transhield?

Chris Webb:

trunkera1:

Oh yeah ,forgot all about them :blush: didnt Bakers have a union jack painted on the front :question: :question: there there now of course GIST :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I am pretty sure bakers were a carrier out of smithfield meat market I recall them in the 60s when I worked in the poultry market

Chris Webb:

trunkera1:

BOC Transhield was set up as a dedicated M&S operation, I think, Chris, and G L Baker was also acquired by BOC to handle non-M&S chilled business. Previously, I think that Baker had done all sorts of general work, and also containers. The two ended up being merged into what is now Gist, along with Spalding Haulage, where BOC caught a cold with, ahem, legal issues which arose before the acquisition.

BOC also set up an ambient division called BOC Interbrand, by taking over Beecham Foods’ in-house transport operation and depots. They then added Onward Transport into this operation.

The idea was that the Beecham business would be a springboard to a national ambient network, but they then succeeded in losing the Beecham business that had previously been handed to them on a plate :unamused: The contract was taken over by your friends, Wincanton, and moved into their new facility at Brockworth. That was pretty much the end of BOC Interbrand and their ambient network plans.

Chris,it would be a tongue in cheek statement about Wincanton being my friend? :laughing: