Supermarket filling stations?

Are we seeing a new trend by the big supermarket companies?

Sainsbury’s new flagship store at Southport has abandoned plans for a traditional petrol/diesel filling station in favour of an EV charging hub.

They’re going to be the biggest charging network in the UK called ‘Smart Charge’ which will be even bigger than the Tesla supercharging network.

They have 1424 superstores & will be installing rapid & ultra rapid chargers up to 175kW in power.
They won’t need to pay rent for the charging site like Tesla so there should be cheaper charging tariffs.

ASDA’s owners the EG Group have ordered 20000 Tesla superchargers to install in their supermarkets & filling station, They will be branded as evpoint.

Morrison’s is also joining the fray ! “Motor Fuel Group (MFG) and Morrisons have entered into an agreement which will see the market leading independent forecourt operator acquire 337 Morrisons petrol forecourts (including fuel, convenience retail kiosk and ancillary services) and more than 400 associated sites, across the UK – with many set to be transformed into electric vehicle (EV) charging hubs.”

As supermarkets are fiercely competitive, Tesco will need to go BIG or go home.

both Asda and Morrisons have flogged off their forecourts so I guess that only leaves Tesco for the supermarket filling station now then.

Morrisons are the only supermarket chain in my area selling LPG - I hope they will continue with it, Energas, Calor and Jet (2 stations) in Barnsley all stopped a few years back.

Don’t know why.
Nobody’s buying them.