Suitable Load? Model

Firstly, I didnt know where to post this, I thought this section would give me the most help as you guys drive them, mods, please feel free to move this thread if neccessary.

Anyways, I am 14, and respray model trucks, this one is part of my own ficticious fleet.

I was thinking of a load for my model flatbed trailer, and searching through my stash, I came across these two machines.

I was wondering if the load looks realistic and suitable for a flatbed or if they would really be transported on a flatbed?

Would this overhang require markings / beacons / wide load boards etc?

Thanks in advance guys!

Looks good to me but they need chaining down. Often see loads like that.

You could use some concrete pipes or timber as a load, it may look realistic too, not many sheeted loads around nowadays but they would look good if you could nick a bit of your mums tablecloth :laughing:

The BM and Caterpillar could be carried on a flat by using a ramp at either end of the journey.

Nice models and ideas though

Buy Diecast Collector, and should be some good ideas in there, also go to a toyfair, several model makers appear with conversions etc.

The machinary would be more likely to be on a low loader, although as has been said they might be loaded on a flatbed if you had access to a loading ramp. Stuff I’ve had on Flatbed work, Sawn timber (normally sheeted), precast concrete sections, Bricks (but you might get strange looks hunting for fishnet stocking to turn into a brick net :laughing: ) Spud boxes, or 2 more flatbeds. :smiley: what ever you decide, the load restraint, Chains, rope or straps, will add to the realism.

So do you build these from kits and then respray them to your own design?

Actually looking at the specs of those machines if it is an 8800 Volvo BM and a Caterpillar Challenger 65, it will make a nice payload of about 28700kg

Bloody hell. I need a job soon :blush:

Suffolk Gold - I am going to a toy fair on Saturday so will keep my eyes peeled! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Muckles - I was starting to think it was a bit unrealistic and heavy. They are metal models you can buy all ready sprayed up, but some manafactures make plain white ones cheaper for stuff like this. I took all the bits off and stripped the paint from the cab so I just have a solid metal shell, then spray it and put it all back together.

Here is another one of my ‘Benson’ creations:

There is also a DAF CF to look like on long term lease hire.

if you get some multi core wire (often used on computers) strip it down to the internal wires that are usually various colours.
Then wrap individual coloured wire around a pencil or something similar, you get authentic looking airlines to fix between truck and trailer.

Also they sometimes look more realistic with weathering…you know dirt up the sides etc…take a few photos of various trucks in winter and youll get the idea.

Excellent models by the way.

I used to know a retired gent, (now sadly passed on) that used to make models mounted on plinths for various companies boardrooms. Used to supplement his pension quite nicely.