suicide lanes

Is there any three lane carriageways left in the uk ?

Chandler Hill out of Chesterfield towards Baslow is. I believe they are also known as “Coroners Corridor”!

Travelling down the A5 the other day could see where the old cats eyes used to be when it was three lanes- remember that? Can’t be many trunk roads left now like that if any , bet the’ older’ members on here remember them & some nasty accidents & near misses .

mazz:
Travelling down the A5 the other day could see where the old cats eyes used to be when it was three lanes- remember that? Can’t be many trunk roads left now like that if any , bet the’ older’ members on here remember them & some nasty accidents & near misses .

The old A1 northbound out of Newark was three lanes,“every trunker for himself” at night.It was very often foggy in the Trent Valley in winter and Newark was especially renowned for it.
It didn’t seem to bother the night men though,if yer AEC was faster than yer Leyland middle lane it was :laughing:

Chris Webb:

mazz:

The old A1 northbound out of Newark was three lanes,“every trunker for himself” at night.It was very often foggy in the Trent Valley in winter and Newark was especially renowned for it.
It didn’t seem to bother the night men though,if yer AEC was faster than yer Leyland middle lane it was :laughing:

There were a lot of chunks of 3 lane on the A6 through ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ and N. Lancs when it was the main road and when “I were a lad” there was a “bobby” lived at the bottom of our road who was a patrol car driver and when I was admiring his Zephyr one day he got a call to attend a bad smash on Shap and I re-call him saying that a car had become “the meat in the sandwich” between two waggons on a three lane bit!!Cheers Dennis.

The A38 between Gloucester & Bristol was mostly 3 lane and in the days when the M5 stopped at Strensham summer Saturdays used to be interesting to say the least.

Off the M5 onto the M50 then down through Tewkewsbury and Gloucester would be one long queue and then onward to Bristol. We swore there was a big roundabout at Lands End where all the traffic turned around and headed back.

Mind you some of those old roads come in useful now, Sunday nights at this time of year are very busy and I often get a run down from Droitwich to Romford. The usual route of choice would be the M40 /M25 or possibly cutting over to the M1 but on Sundays both are clogged well into the evening. I now come off the M40 at Bicester and amble down the A41 through Aylesbury to the M25 with very little traffic and never a hold up. Running time, keeping to the limits, is very nearly the same as a clear run sticking to the motorway and it’s a far more interesting route.

The A4 between Hungerford and Calne has certain sections, that are still the same width as when it had a suicide lane.(now down to single lane) but now matter how close you drive to the n/s,you still get Mr Smalldick in his Beemer . . up your underrun . . . reluctant to overtake.

Lots of the old three lane trunk roads were killers,with traffic overtaking both ways.Oxford bypass on the old A40 was one.
There are still a lot of sections on various roads that are still like that.
Some of the new bypasses are dangerous with only two lanes,but drivers are treating them as if there is three lanes,as they are wide.Shrewsbury bypass in sections and Oswestry bypass are just two that spring to mind.Lots of drivers ignore the chevrons and overtake resulting with a lot of head on smashes as most of us have seen.

Why make them that wide for two lanes ?