Suffolk train crash

eadt.co.uk/news/lorry_driver … h_1_590123

He was supposed to phone a remote crossing keeper but didn’t according to Rail Transport Police.
At least he was empty.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61410

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61398

Driver is an East European. At least they’re not diving the trains yet.

There’s the trouble look, it’s not written in Polish. :wink:

if that had been a fuel tanker either empty or loaded would it of exploded on impact :question: :open_mouth: :neutral_face:

you have to feel sorry for the guy he will be frightened at the prospect of loosing everything including perhaps his liberty if the person whom is critticly ill dies. Death by dangerous driving manslaughter.

There is no one imune from taking risks like dropping a trailer…pulling of a bay…doing 40 on a 30 road…jumping a light…working in excess of hours it just takes that extra risk that you push and your luck runs out… he could have passed that crossing a hundred times and nothing ever happened.

Harry monk shows the signs in english good point
he is supposably polish
did he get a real proper induction and not the sought of induction of read this sign here.

He may have taken advice from other drivers that it is customary to cross the track as they may be used to the trains normal times of running. There should be no puns or irrisponsible remarks about what could have been a major tragedy.

Harry Monk:

How ■■■■ stupid :unamused: NetworkRail will probably be found at fault for that and pay millions from taxpayers money

edited; I had written something I didn’t even understand :open_mouth:

Harry Monk:

Even if it would be in Polish (and the driver would be Polish) do you think, that it would be much help if he had to phone and he don’t speak English?

Off course this prove my theory that Pole who want to work in this country should have at least basic knowledge of English (and I dare to tell that employer who employes the person who has no sufficient skills to operate safely in this country should be also held responsible) but the problem still persist: What if there would be Hungarian lorry from Hungary with Hungarian driver with no foreign languages going that way? AFAIK it’s not illegal to drive in foreign countries without knowledge of local tongue (most of you, British people do that all the time)?

I know, that this is very slim chance on the road like that, but there should be something to prevent such situation. I can imagine, for example, that instead of the phone we have pictograms and few buttons. You press the button with picture of the type of the vehicle you drive, than you press the button to show your vehicle lenght, and when operator thinks it’s safe for you to cross, he put green light for you. You cross, then on the other end you press button to let him know that the crossing is now clear…

In Poland on a such crossings we have “press button to cross” system - like on pedestrian crossing. You press the button and that rings a bell in the operators control room, they watch you on the camera and when they find it’s safe to cross for you, just open the bareers for you. No need to speak or read Polish.I find this solution better in these circumstances. Of course it’s fully safe, as Polish railway signaling system won’t allow the train to get onto the crossing unless the stretch is clear, so as long as the bareers will be open, the trains will have red light. So even if the operator misjudge your speed, it will just cause train to stop at the nearest semaphor until you’ll be clear from the crossing and bareers can be lowered again. .

Also, if driver is Polish, the state of Polish railways is to blame. We have lot of level crossings with no safety facilities at all, but this is not a major problem with many lines with traveling speeds of 70 or 40 km/h (although there still are some accidents). He is not used to fast British trains.

he is lithuanian

r slicker:
he is lithuanian

All points in my post stays the same…

He is also fluent in English according to a police officer interviewed on tv last night!

jacko22:
He is also fluent in English according to a police officer interviewed on tv last night!

Then all things in my post have no application in this particular case…

One half of the train has just come through Halstead on the back of an Allely’s low loader.

orys:

r slicker:
he is lithuanian

All points in my post stays the same…

Except this one perhaps

He is not used to fast British trains.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Neither are we!

Take a train from Jelenia Góra to Szklarska Poręba (30 km, 1,5h) and you will understand what I say :wink:

The way I heard it on the news last night. The police are trying to find out if the guy DID phone the crossing guard, but for whatever reason, either couldn’t get through or the guard didn’t answer :open_mouth:

drew30:
The way I heard it on the news last night. The police are trying to find out if the guy DID phone the crossing guard, but for whatever reason, either couldn’t get through or the guard didn’t answer :open_mouth:

The Police will already know if the HGV driver used the crossing phone or not. Pretty much all phones into signalboxes are recorded. It takes about 30 seconds flat for a manager to get into the system and check. It can be done remotely from any pc with the correct software and codes. It is done routinely to monitor the standard of calls handled by each signaller. In an incident chances are the phone log would have been checked within minutes.

■■■■■■00:
you have to feel sorry for the guy he will be frightened at the prospect of loosing everything including perhaps his liberty if the person whom is critticly ill dies. Death by dangerous driving manslaughter.

There is no one imune from taking risks like dropping a trailer…pulling of a bay…doing 40 on a 30 road…jumping a light…working in excess of hours it just takes that extra risk that you push and your luck runs out… he could have passed that crossing a hundred times and nothing ever happened.

Harry monk shows the signs in english good point
he is supposably polish
did he get a real proper induction and not the sought of induction of read this sign here.

He may have taken advice from other drivers that it is customary to cross the track as they may be used to the trains normal times of running. There should be no puns or irrisponsible remarks about what could have been a major tragedy.

If you want me to take you a little more seriously you ought to do summat about your avatar ?
Plus 5 spelling mistakes !
I

If you want me to take you a little more seriously you ought to do summat about your avatar ?
Plus 5 spelling mistakes !
I
[/quote]
7 if you want to be pedantic :wink: :wink: