Subsistence and Meal Allowances etc

Just a quickie, how much can my limited company pay me in night out money and meal allowances at the present time?

31 December 2012 £33.85 per night out, or 75% of this if you have a sleeper cab.

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM66110.htm

£2 per day meal allowance max.

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim66140.htm

I’m paid £22.50 UK or £27 euro night out. Plus £12.15 meal allowance per day.

Yes, I’ve heard of people being paid far more than the £2 which I’ve seen mentioned before, are you taxed on that? If not, how so?

My understanding is that the £2 is the max tax free amount, the rest on top is taxed.

NickW:
My understanding is that the £2 is the max tax free amount, the rest on top is taxed.

That is also my understanding. I pay myself £2/day meal allowance and £25/night for nights out.

Paul

Don’t forget if you do 10hrs or over per pay you can claim 10ppunds per day meal allowance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you bought a wagon yet Harry?

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?u1lrjd

xfmatt:

Yes, I’m just finalising it at the moment, got my O licence through yesterday and should be on the road next week, rightly or wrongly I chose the Magnum.

Congratulations mate and all the best in business. My mate has a Magnum 520 and loves it. Loads of room and a great puller. He is getting about 7.5-8 mpg on 44t work loaded 50% of the time.

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?el2l0k

Do you go for the green one?

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

i charged £25 night out if i did them & paid myself the same,i paid myself £5 per day meal allowance.never heard anything from my accountant that i was doing anything wrong…

Id be dead in a week on £2 day for food :confused:

xfmatt:
Congratulations mate and all the best in business. My mate has a Magnum 520 and loves it. Loads of room and a great puller. He is getting about 7.5-8 mpg on 44t work loaded 50% of the time.

Ta, that’s broadly in line with what I’m expecting. I know I could have got something a little better on fuel but at the end of the day I’m going to be virtually living in it so it has to be right from that angle.

3 Feathers Haulage:
Do you go for the green one?

Yep that’s the one, went and had a look at the weekend and will be picking it up when it’s been serviced and MOT’d etc. Obviously been very well looked after and it’s been on light work for all of its life. It may be right, it may not but as I’ve said before whatever truck you mention some folk say they are the best thing since sliced bread whereas the next chap will tell you not to touch it with a bargepole. Certainly the Volvo driveline is something I have confidence in.

puntabrava:
Id be dead in a week on £2 day for food :confused:

Yes, where on earth do they get that from?

Harry Monk:

xfmatt:

Yes, I’m just finalising it at the moment, got my O licence through yesterday and should be on the road next week, rightly or wrongly I chose the Magnum.

Great stuff Harry! Look forward to reading about your new adventure and wish you good luck and fair winds!

you can pay yourself the RHA, HMRC agreed amount, plus meal allowance 7 days a week. they can’t prove you’re not away from home, as you won’t be putting in a time sheet to your boss. :wink:
also, as i’m sure you know, there is no upper limit for european work. however, i wouldn’t go higher than £35 per night for that, you don’t want to take the ■■■■.
then there is pety cash. for a small business like yours i would say £200 per week should cover a couple of dartford crossings, then pocket the rest.
but you have to make a profit first. good luck.

Good luck and enjoy the maggy.

Great looking truck Harry think you gotta good one there
Best of luck with it.

Enjoy the Magmum Harry, it looks a nice one. They run well if they’ve been looked after and the mpg is reasonable too.

Good luck with yer start mate. :slight_smile:

Best of luck with the Magnum :exclamation: :wink:

Only ever drove one for a couple of days for Montgomery’s with the 480Mack and boy she could pull :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:
Electric blinds are bloody handy too. :slight_smile: