Stupid Questions

I am sure that everyone on here has either been asked or even asked a stupid question in their time, however as the saying goes only an unasked question is a stupid question I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and answer them, however today I was asked a question that I think takes the prize as the most stupid I have been asked. Came of the hook boat into Killingholme this morning, stopped at customs and handed over my passport and CMR’s and then had the following conversation.

Customs " I see it is all fruit and vegetables on here have you been to these places before?"
Me “yes”
Customs “have you any tobacco or guns with you?”
Me “no”
short pause
Customs “are you aware that it is illegal to bring guns and drugs into this country?”

my reply was just a blank, look only been doing Europe for 15 years and this is the first I knew about that there must have been a major law change between me leaving the UK on Wednesday and returning this morning. If these people want a bit of credibility at least ask us questions that my 5 year old daughter would not be able to answer

i worked for TK MAX as an agency,went to a shopping center to deliver,company name all over and security says,are you TK MAX,my reply was,take a wild guess,laughable

Its that little power thing that gives jobsworths the thrill they crave, they love getting you answering their half wit lead parrot fashion, possibly the only enjoyment in their petty little lives.

Young copper who pulled an old mate (in his 50’s been driving lorries 30 years) of mine on the M1 and carefully explained to him, as you would a 5 year old, how he should get up to speed along the shoulder and not just pull straight out into the inside lane, yes your effervescence, nob.

There’s no such thing as a stupid question

Is there :question: :question: :question:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I once went into a gatehouse and the agency gaurd with dinner on his jumper said[hey up mate,who do you work for ,then he said oh yes i see who you work for it says on the front of your truck ,he wrote down the company i worked for as GLOBETROTTER. :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Forkies or goods in staff staff ask me what the reference numbers are on a full load or what colour the stuff is or what side it is loaded.
Dunno mate,i picked up a loaded trailer and not there when loaded.
I see mate,they ask are there pallets on there that we do not need until next week then?

mazzer:
I am sure that everyone on here has either been asked or even asked a stupid question in their time, however as the saying goes only an unasked question is a stupid question I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and answer them, however today I was asked a question that I think takes the prize as the most stupid I have been asked. Came of the hook boat into Killingholme this morning, stopped at customs and handed over my passport and CMR’s and then had the following conversation.

Customs " I see it is all fruit and vegetables on here have you been to these places before?"
Me “yes”
Me “no”
short pause
Customs “are you aware that it is illegal to bring guns and drugs into this country?”

my reply was just a blank, look only been doing Europe for 15 years and this is the first I knew about that there must have been a major law change between me leaving the UK on Wednesday and returning this morning. If these people want a bit of credibility at least ask us questions that my 5 year old daughter would not be able to answer

They have always said that to me coming back in when stopping me. Customs guy said to me it was cos they don’t have a nothing to declare lane so if they’re thinking of searching you they have to ask you to give you the chance to declare.

Juddian:
Its that little power thing that gives jobsworths the thrill they crave, they love getting you answering their half wit lead parrot fashion, possibly the only enjoyment in their petty little lives.

Young copper who pulled an old mate (in his 50’s been driving lorries 30 years) of mine on the M1 and carefully explained to him, as you would a 5 year old, how he should get up to speed along the shoulder and not just pull straight out into the inside lane, yes your effervescence, nob.

very good,LOL

seth 70:
I once went into a gatehouse and the agency gaurd with dinner on his jumper said[hey up mate,who do you work for ,then he said oh yes i see who you work for it says on the front of your truck ,he wrote down the company i worked for as GLOBETROTTER. :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

probably why he is security

seth 70:

I had something pretty much the same as you once. I was driving a Renault Premium Demo truck when the Euro 5s were hitting the road. This one had Euro 5 stickers all over it and a security man thought that was the name of the company I worked for. Didn’t have the heart to correct him. :stuck_out_tongue::P:P

Does Mr Security write down I.Veco ltd, V.Olvo Ltd or REN Ault ltd as firms delivering?H.Ino Ltd.
M.An Ltd.

I was pulled up next to the security office in Bibbys Manchester on my open flat bed beaver tail and he asked what I was delivering, sitting on the back in plain view was a H70 forklift truck at 12t :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Was once asked by a gate man/ security guard/■■■■ after giving my surname " are you sure that"s what you"re" name is"?
Yes, was my reply.
Have been asked on more than one occasion recently, if i can drag a bulk bag into a garage,after trying to explain that it cannot be craned in.
Ho hum.

turned up at one of our compounds with full load of merc cars to deliver them there our own employed security in truck and trailer with company name all over it guard asks via intercom can I help you :confused: who r u :unamused: what do you want :confused: and this to get into the place not out with the bloody load

I delivered some catering equipment to Twickenham stadium a couple of weeks ago. I drove up to the security barrier, climbed out of the cab and went to the security window to give my details as I’d been instructed to beforehand. Security guard, takes my name, mobile number then, looking towards my truck says “and is that the lorry you are driving?”

I said “it will be when I get back in it” and he replied “is it the vehicle you intend to use to make the delivery?”…Sheesh!

Have been asked on more than one occasion recently, if i can drag a bulk bag into a garage,after trying to explain that it cannot be craned in.
Ho hum.

Yes it’s amazing how blank they look when you say “yes of course I can put in garage, just take the roof off for me first please.” :open_mouth:

My surname is Darby and when I’m asked my name they usually say " I didn’t ask for where you came from I asked for you name!" After a few tries they seem to grasp the concept that my name is also a location! Although I do believe that some just go with it to ease their confusion :smiley:

Went to a poundland shop the other week, , poundland polo shirt on poundland all ovr the unit and trailer gave the girl the paperwork told her got her delivery.
Another girl came out "are you here with the delivery? " no I said “come to read the electric” was stood next to the trailer back door open “oh just go find where the meter is then” :open_mouth: :smiley:

Had to laugh when she came back said she couldn’t find it lol

mazzer:
Me “yes”
Me “no”
short pause

Nothing stupid about those questions at all. If they did decide to search you/your vehicle and found contraband of some sort, they would have to caution you before questioning you. The very first words of the caution are “You do not have to say anything…” - Which immediately results in you going “No comment” and leaving them having to prove (beyond reasonable doubt) that you knew that bringing those items in was illegal. They will of course also be watching your body language when you answer those seemingly stupid questions, when deciding whether to search in the first place.

It’s not about being bored/thick/a control freak. Well, not much at any rate :wink:

Roymondo:

mazzer:
Me “yes”
Me “no”
short pause

Nothing stupid about those questions at all. If they did decide to search you/your vehicle and found contraband of some sort, they would have to caution you before questioning you. The very first words of the caution are “You do not have to say anything…” - Which immediately results in you going “No comment” and leaving them having to prove (beyond reasonable doubt) that you knew that bringing those items in was illegal. They will of course also be watching your body language when you answer those seemingly stupid questions, when deciding whether to search in the first place.

It’s not about being bored/thick/a control freak. Well, not much at any rate :wink:

I understand the part about asking if you have anything illegal on board it was the way she peered over the top of her glasses like a school teacher and asked if I knew it was illegal to bring firearms into the UK, living in Derry we knew from an early age that guns were illegal