Stupid Question

From a “professional” driver. :open_mouth: Got an assement tomorrow, probably in a Renault Premium. How do i check the oil level?

Told you is was a stupid question. :smiley:

Why is that a stupid question if he has never driven a premium before why would he know where the dipstick is. Do you know where the dipstick is on every make of lorry I know a scania’s and Volvo’s other than that I would have to hunt around

If I remember correctly its an option on the Dashboard Display for Actros.

Physical checks would be the same as a car. Pull out the (very long) dipstick and check.

Bonnet flap is a start to finding it.

dar1976:

Physical checks would be the same as a car. Pull out the (very long) dipstick and check.

On a DAF 105, the cab needs tilting.

You can do it on dash. I think it’s the button on end of washers. Just scroll through.

Best thing to do is ask the trainer, i’d say it will actually go in your favor as you’ve bothered to seek help.

I think there isn’t a dipstick on the newer Premiums, its a display on the dash…

weeto:

dar1976:

On a DAF 105, the cab needs tilting.

Same with an Iveco A/T…

It is on the display, a button a the end of the windscreen wiper stalk cycles through the various displays.

You can also check it old school using the dipstick, but use a torch to see where it is.

Some of ours come out at the front, some under the n/s/f wheel.

It was my first ever auto truck and they are very simple to use, lots of wheel spin in the wet I find.

Enjoy, and good luck

The electronic dipstick displays the oil level automatically when you turn on the ignition in a Premium. No need to press any buttons.

damoq:
The electronic dipstick displays the oil level automatically when you turn on the ignition in a Premium. No need to press any buttons.

I think you’ll find this ↑ is the answer, turn the ignition on without starting the engine and let the on-board diagnostics do their job before starting the engine.

But if in doubt ask the assessor, there’s no reason why he would expect you to know about the computer controls in a vehicle you’ve never driven before.

Tell the assessor that you are not familiar with the truck, that you want to check the oil (and coolant, washer fluid etc) as part of your pre-use inspection, and ask him to show you where they are and how the inspection cover is opened. Any assessor worth his salt will be asking you right from the outset if you are familiar with the model of truck being used for the assessment (and also any tail-lifts or other equipment). It’s your driving, your attitude and your professional approach to the job that is being assessed, not your technical knowledge!

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to wing it by groping around hoping to find the dipstick etc!

mazzer:
Why is that a stupid question if he has never driven a premium before why would he know where the dipstick is. Do you know where the dipstick is on every make of lorry I know a scania’s and Volvo’s other than that I would have to hunt around

I’m guessing it is him who is asking the question so to answer yours no he obviously doesn’t or he wouldn’t have asked where it was on a renault :laughing:

Sometimes you can find the dip stick inside the cab behind the steering wheel :smiley:

Thanks for the replies chaps. Did it in a CF after all. :smiley: