Stupid Question... sorry

:blush: I know this is a very stupid and basic question that may provoke a lot of ridicule, but I’m going to ask it anyway as the answer that I believe to be true has been put into doubt.

Ok, the A12 in Essex is motorway standard but it is not a motorway, so what is the speed limit for trucks? I believe the speed limit to be 40MPH but as I have been out of the UK for so long I do not know if the law has changed in the last 20 years to allow trucks to go faster on motorway standard A roads.

I was having this discussion with my brother who is a non-trucker and he says that trucks do 60 and legally do so. Please help

UK

Vehicles exceeding a gvw of 7.5 tonnes :

Motorways (whether 3 lane or 2 lane) - 60mph

Dual carriageways (must be separated by a central barrier) - 50mph

All other roads displaying national limit sign (A roads, B roads etc) - 40mph

Brgds

Speedy

Slackmack:

Ok, the A12 in Essex is motorway standard but it is not a motorway, so what is the speed limit for trucks? I believe the speed limit to be 40MPH

if it’s a dual carriageway with a central barrier (or any way of seperating the carriageways) it’s 50mph

Hi Slackmack.

Those two guys are absolutely right.

If you want to make doubly sure there is A good book you can buy for about £1-25 from most Post Offices which gives the speed limits for all vehicles on all roads on the back page. It’s also packed full with lots of other usefull information for drivers of all vehicles.

Unfortunately since the introduction of the new computerised theory and hazard perception tests it seems to have gone out of fashion and doen’t seem to get read much lately. Which I think is a backward step in driver education.

Oh almost forgot it’s called “The Highway Code”

Cheers Kenv

Hey Slackmack, how long have you lived in Paderborn ?

Pat Hasler:
Hey Slackmack, how long have you lived in Paderborn ?

Hi Pat,
I’ve been here for the best part of 20 years, not directly in paderborn but in the infamous Sennelager. Still known as probably the worst lager in the world! :unamused:

Thanks to the rest of you for your input, much appreciated.

Actual motorways are denoted by Mxx or Axx(M) names (e.g. M1, A1(M)). They have blue road signs. The speed limit for a truck of MAM > 7500 kg is 60 mph. If an A-road changes into a legally-classified motorway (or vice-versa), there will be blue signs to tell you.

Dual carriageways have a separate central reservation between the opposite directions. The number of lanes does not matter. They have green or black+white road signs. Speed limit is 50 mph.

Single carriageways don’t have a central reservation. Signs as per dual carriageways. The speed limit is 40 mph.

Built-up areas (including dual carriageways) have a 30 mph limit for all vehicles.

Of course, the national speed limit can be overridden by local speed limit signs (e.g. 50 mph signs on many motorways). If the local speed limit sign is higher than the national limit for your vehicle, you should stick to the national limit.

My road atlas shows the A12 as a standard dual-carriageway A-road (although it may be motorway-quality). The speed limit for large trucks is therefore 50 mph. Between 2000 and 7500 kg MAM, the limit is 60 mph.

HTH…

Hi Slackmack, I had the pleasure■■? of living in the worst lager in the world in 89-90, I was at 3 Armd Penal Battalion(field Ambulance) in Talbot Bks, dreadful place.
How’s the strip these days.

Do you ever visit the Rhine Army show ?

In 1998 Me & two other guys errected and ran the ford stand. One item was a ‘Tilt & Turn’ … A Ford KA on a roundabout with a Ford Puma on end over it, it took all day to get it up safely then the Ford rep decided he wanted a green Pume not the Yellow one, we worked till 11.00pm to get it done for the show.
We then spent the rest of the night being cared for in the NAFFI and the rest of the week getting [ZB] in a night club opposite the hotel IBIS.
A memorable job … The Ford guy got better by way of mood and gave us a good back hander so it was worth it.
Sennelager ain’t that bad beer but Becks at 25 pence a bottle from the NAFFI was better. :smiley:

Edited for language content-ATKIG11

Dratsabasti:
Hi Slackmack, I had the pleasure■■? of living in the worst lager in the world in 89-90, I was at 3 Armd Penal Battalion(field Ambulance) in Talbot Bks, dreadful place.
How’s the strip these days.

The strip is still going strong, Although Malcoms is long gone and now called Niel’s! The Senne-Heck is still there and its still a dive. Bonkers and the Dom are still going but i dont go in there, I use The Krop mostly (The Akropolis, near the Pads Quarters). I think 3 ADFA are still alive and kicking but not sure as i have very little to do with the Mil. comunity.

Pat Hasler:
Do you ever visit the Rhine Army show ?

We then spent the rest of the night being cared for in the NAFFI and the rest of the week getting [ZB] in a night club opposite the hotel IBIS.
:smiley:

The Rhine Army Summer Show is no more, The Army just does not have the man power to set up a huge event anymore, I used to go every year and I met my wife to be there. Shame really it was a great show, on par with any County Show back home.

As for that club opposite the Ibis… does the name “Unkle Tom’s Cabin” ring any bells?

I can’t remember the name but I came out first night at 2.00am on my knees, climbed into a yelow taxi and asked for the ‘hotel Ibis’ the woman driver laughed, did a u turn and carged me 5 marks … the ■■■■■. :stuck_out_tongue: