Stupid question re air lines

I’ve got a frozen shoulder at the moment, Its been bugging me now for six months or more. Problem is it leaves me with a weakness which for most physical things my other side covers quite well. I’m not moaning as its been a great excuse for getting out of the gardening and decorating etc. Medically its one of those, no cure just let time and Ibuprofen and Voltarol cream do it.

However, painfully now winter is here I’m having real problems with the air lines as they wont seal easily to allow the securing collar to slip back. Its the only part of driving I’m having problems with.

Where I’m working nobody seems to care a fig about storing them and the yellow line (male connector) in particular becomes pitted at the end with misuse. And frankly I’m glad to be on the cat walk as nobody can see me in tears with the pain.

I notice that many drivers also seem to struggle at this time of year but they are pushing the line in whilst trying to pull the collar back to get over it. I don’t have the strength in both arms to do this at the moment and ASFIAK the collar should release when a seal has been achieved anyway so why should I do it.

Anyway to come to the point. I had a (entirely unusual for me) eureka moment the other week and wondered if I could bridge the pitted male end with the seal with something? Then I thought Vaseline!!! that always eases things in :blush:

So I tried it and smeared the very end of the male ends of both lines with some Vaseline every night I worked last week and bingo! I just hold the collar back with my bad side hand and give the line a good push (releasing the collar as I do so)and the line clicks into place every time.

So here is my question: (I’m not putting blobs of the stuff on just a smear) will doing this damage the air system by introducing a foriegn substance to mixed with the air? I don’t wish to cause problems further down the line, but I do want to make my job easier. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is there a better way of doing this with my bad shoulder?

Jim

A small amount of lube will not do any harm at all, a lot of these components fail because of a lack of it (lube/maintenance) there is a specific oil that can be used on air systems but as you are not greasing the inside of the connector only the sealing ring I don’t think there is a problem here at all.

Tell the boss you have saved him some money and ask for a rise :wink:

Hope your shoulder is better soon.

Can’t see if its just a smear and your not letting any go down the line how its going to cause you a problem.

Probalbly wouldn’t hurt once a while to give the ends a good clean with a rag though to stop any build up that could get somewhere its not wanted. Bearing in mind that any muck dust crap etc will inevitably be drawn to the vaseline.

mikeyb:
Can’t see if its just a smear and your not letting any go down the line how its going to cause you a problem.

Probably wouldn’t hurt once a while to give the ends a good clean with a rag though to stop any build up that could get somewhere its not wanted. Bearing in mind that any muck dust crap etc will inevitably be drawn to the vaseline.

Unfortunately its pot luck with choice of truck and trailer each night (so I’m slowly making it easier for everyone). My concern I guess was small amounts of jelly being pushed into the system with the air pressure, hence the question. good point about the muck being stuck to the vaseline tho

On reflection its a very tiny amount so thanks guys, Its good to sound out a query

Jim

Or alternatively turn off the engine press your brake pedal a few times to loose some air pressure and connect the air lines without much problem. We used to have airline taps and never had that problem.

Less embarrassing than someone finding a tin of Vaseline in your snap bag :stuck_out_tongue:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The old hit count should rise a bit following that post. Google will be finding this thread in answer to some dodgy searches as it reads as ■■■■ with all that lubricating of your collar, pushing hard, your male connector becoming pitted at the end with misuse etc. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The old hit count should rise a bit following that post. Google will be finding this thread in answer to some dodgy searches as it reads as ■■■■ with all that lubricating of your collar, pushing hard, your male connector becoming pitted at the end with misuse etc. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t have thought the crawlers would pick up on oil. ring, collar and vaseline to ease it in. Any free advertising and all that… :laughing:

Pump the pedal to empty the air tanks, they should pop right on no bother

Hi jcfd this is not about your airlines but i suffered with a frozen shoulder for about a year went to the docs and had a hydrocortisone injection and after about a week it started to ease now its gone hope this helps.

Every so often when I fill up with diesel, I dunk the red airline coupling into the full tank and leave it there for a minute or so before wiping it off with kitchen towel, after that it just glides on and off of the trailer.

I use good old WD40 - Spray and wipe.

The trick with the air lines is to pull the collar back and apply enough pressure to hold it in place. Then you can use both hands, if neccessary with your back against the cab, to push the coupling on.

When you pull the collar back use a greasy finger to free off your balls. the less sticky parts the better.

phil the book:
Hi jcfd this is not about your airlines but i suffered with a frozen shoulder for about a year went to the docs and had a hydrocortisone injection and after about a week it started to ease now its gone hope this helps.

Asked for that and was told the PCT or whatever it is, doesn’t allow them to do it anymore as its not effective. So you have to have loads of Physio appointments. Scuse my scepticism, but they get paid for each appointment…h’mmmm

I have long since lost my trust in my doctors integrity.

Jim

PS: if spreading Vaseline on my male connector increases the Trucknet hit count, do I win a prize■■? eh! eh! :sunglasses:

WD40 the best i have found and garage say it doesn’t do any harm

They say necessity is the mother of all invention . . . . . . . :laughing:

A couple of years ago I “caught” arthritis. Had in just about every joint, large and small. I went from being fifteen and a half stone to just over twelve within about 3 weeks, so lost just about all my “body strength”

I found the only way I could get the lines on was to use my knee to push my elbow. You need to be at an angle to the trailer rather than facing it, but it might help.

I always find that slightly revolving (twisting) the connector back and forth whilst pushing it home helps it to go in easier if it’s tight.

^ That’s what I do, along with the dunking in the diesel tank option if they’re really bad. ( MS person.)

brados:
Tell the boss you have saved him some money and ask for a rise :wink:

I’d love to hear the answer when you produce a tub of vaseline and ask for a rise

Mr B:
I’d love to hear the answer when you produce a tub of vaseline and ask for a rise

Tried it with “the boss” this morning. It being Valentines day I produced breakfast in bed. Two bottles of champers and a box of chocolates! Didn’t need the Vaseline and I got a rise too :open_mouth: :laughing:

Jim